68 mustang wont start (update)? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

68 mustang wont start (update)?

New to here, have a 68 mustang red. It gets power to all accessories, stereo, headlights, dome light etc...... when i turn the ignition i get nothing. I took the starter and battery to the auto parts store and both tested just fine. I replaced the solenoid and still nothing. I have also checked all the fuses in the fuse box and all were good

tried moving the shifter around while turning the key to see if it was the neutral switch. nothing happened.

by-passed the battery via jumper cables from the input post to the starter post on the solenoid. Nothing...

any more ideas?
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Have someone crank the key while you probe the starter solenoid with a test light. If there is no light, then your solenoid is not getting a signal from the ignition switch.
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Your solenoid has two small wires pushed onto the small posts. one is the bypass wire leading to the ignition coil and the other is the trigger for the cranking circuit. Pull the trigger wire off the post and use a test lamp to check it for power while turning the key. No power means a bad neutral safety switch, ignition switch or a kill switch installed by a previous owner that got bumped. If it is powered, make sure it fits snugly on the post. Run one leg of your jumper cable from the output post of the solenoid to the starter post and hit the key; If it cranks, change the starter cable.
meinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Take a 12 volt test light and check to see if power is being sent to the solenoid on the firewall, You may have to have someone assist you. hook the tes light to a good ground and probe the terminals. The post you want to check is one of the small terminals... it should have an "S" on it. the big terminals are one is from the battery, the other is to the starter. If you have power being sent to it and there is good battery voltage, more than likely the solenoid is bad. Hope this helps.
avsalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

what about the flywheel?
jantis8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion