What parts are changed to make a mustang into a mustang cobra or a mustang shelby? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What parts are changed to make a mustang into a mustang cobra or a mustang shelby?

It depends on which "starter" Mustang you are talking about. The V6 is useless. The V8 they have superchargers, different fuel systems, suspensions, exterior features, the interior is different, and other little things. BUT in no way does it constitute paying $66,616 for a new Mustang SVT Cobra. You can buy a normal GT for $25,000 put a Turbonetics turbo kit on it for $4,000, get the suspension beefed up for $1,200 and blow the doors off the SVT.
imported_Kodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What parts are changed to make a mustang into a mustang cobra or a mustang shelby?

to tell u the truth i dont no, but i'd guess the engine, tranny, drivetrain, etc.......
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What years are we talking about? 60's or 2000's and remember nothing good about a fake, unless were talking about boobs.
trystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know about the older ones but I have a '07 Shelby and they take the standard 4.6L and add a 90mm cold air intake, exchange the H pipe exhaust for a x pipe and add FPP high performance mufflers. They also swap out the standard computer chip for the Ford Racing performance chip. The suspension is changed out in favor of the racing suspension. Much stiffer and larger torsion bars. The rear end is changed from 3.73 to 1 for 3.55 to 1 for better torque. Wheels are changed to 18" and z rated tires. I also has a different grill and ground effects fascias front and rear.

Oh yea and it goes like a bat out of hell!
iseabail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The simple answer is Engine, Tranny, gear ratios, intakes, body effects, interior trim, and that's just a few. It really depends on which year you are talking about since the Cobras and Shelby's are produced in different era's Shelby cars were produced from 65 to 1970 again from 2007 to current. The cobras were from 71 to 2008 in scattered production. Some of them have altogether different setups, and some are fairly similar to the Mustang GT. If your starting from a Mustang with a V-6 than you might as well pack a lunch cuz you've got a lot of parts to buy.
camden is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion