Help Swapping Engines? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Help Swapping Engines?

I HAVE A FORD THUNDERBIRD 1996 WITH A 3.8L AND I WANT TO SWAP IT FOR A 5.0L. NOW MY QUESTION IS I NEED TO FIND A DONOR CAR FOR ALL THE PARTS TO SWAP. WHICH YEARS SHOULD I GET FOR A DONOR CAR LIKE FOR INSTANCE MERCURY COUGAR XR7 WITH 5.0L OR MUSTANGS OR EVEN A THUNDERBIRD IF I GET LUCKY. SOMEONE TOLD ME THE DONOR CAR HAS TO HAVE THE SAME CHASIS FOR THE MOTOR MOUNTS LIKE MY 96 THUNDERBIRD TO HAVE A GOOD FIT. NOW I JUST DONT KNOW WHICH YEARS THE CHASIS ARE THE SAME. PLEASE HELP THANKS!
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #2

Help Swapping Engines?

88-97 T-Bird parts should interchange. Verify this by calling your local junk yard and ask them. They have interchange databases that tell them what years are interchangeable and if any otehr models would be suitable for a complete swap. Putting a v8 in a T-Bird should be easy, since the cars came factory with them.
Don't forget you will need to change the front coil springs, and possibly the shocks. Engine mounts will bolt right in, as will the transmission crossmember. The wiring harnes will be a direct fit. You might have to change the fuel lines, depending on how they are run, and if the fittings are different. I may have missed some items, but you get the point.
Faing is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion