What performance parts can i add to my 1996 v6 mustang to make it sound more like a gt? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What performance parts can i add to my 1996 v6 mustang to make it sound more like a gt?

NONE!! The harmonics of the cylinders hitting the exhaust cycle together dictates the tone of the exhaust, NOT a fancy set of mufflers. Anyone who says otherwise is either an IDIOT or a SALESMAN!
Kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What performance parts can i add to my 1996 v6 mustang to make it sound more like a gt?

There is no possible way to get a V-6 engine to sound like a V-8. There are some things that will increase the sound, such as an exhaust system (headers, high flow catalytic converter, mufflers). An intake might make the engine sound a little bit deeper. Those are two less expensive choices. An intake is pretty easy to install, only needing few tools, but by itself will not make the car sound like a V8.

Also, if you are looking to spend some money, you could replace the cam shafts inside the motors. The lobes on the cam shaft should be increased little in size, but consult a mechanic to be totally sure..Hope you get the car soundin' good!
Kenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Um, your kidding right?? You should be waiting for the big letter that Ford will be mailing to you regarding all the safety and quality control recalls involving your mustang, just as they have sent to my cousin. Recalls include improperly torqued control arms resulting in loss of steering control, fire hazzard in dash caused by improper electrical ground, under hood fire hazzard caused by faulty fuel injector rail/ engine management computer control, (this leaves injectors in the wrong internal possition thus allowing fuel to flow un-regulated. This model year with all engine configurations has ahistory of sudden acceleration from stand still and or while driving between 45-60 mph, thus resulting in loss of control. Buy Consumer Reports Guide to New and Used Cars and Trucks for a complete listing of each and every recall involving your specific year mustang. At least Ford has to pay for all these mistakes they made with your car and that the money to do so will NOT come out of your pocket. "Ford Quality is Job #1."---Yeah, right.
sidney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

you could always staple two more cylinders on it.

Unfortunately, if you put exhuast on this.... its gonna sound like a freakin boat.

Put a open element air filter on it (aka, intake) and you will make more pleasent noises than your exhaust will
quigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

A 281c.i. or 302c.i. V8.
Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

What k_loper2002 said. Anyone that is into performance can immediately tell the sound of a 6 cylinder vs a V8, no matter how much money you spend on it, its just a waste of money to believe that you can make it sound like a V8. Never forget... ya can't polish a turd.
txanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Custom exhaust.
imported_dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

well i do mechanics at school so i d probably say some extractors, a nice sports exhaust, you could probabl add a turbo or a supercharger for speed though
imported_Diandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #9

Like others have said, there is ultimately no way to make your V6 sound just like a V8... without actually having a V8. However, there are ways to improve the sound of your 3.8 in areas people generally associate with V8's, such as increased volume, a more "throaty" tone, or an idle with more "lope."

If you simply wanted a lot more volume, you could simply add a high-performance exhaust system like a dual pipe Flowmaster system or the like. I advise against this, personally, because I find that virtually stock 3.8's w/ high-flow exhaust systems tend to sound very raspy at all but near-idle RPMs. Personally, I always recommend a GT "take-off" system, which is a factory exhaust setup from a GT custom added to your car. This is noticeably louder than stock without the tendency for annoyingly loud rasp.

Ultimately, however, one of the best ways to improve your exhaust tone would be to have a company like Super Six Motorsports or Delk Performance custom spec you a cam (and for power gains, consider adding heads at the same time). I have attached a link in the source section of a 3.8L Mustang with Heads, a custom cam, and a GT take-off exhaust system.

Good luck...
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
v6 mustang