What kind of modifications could I put on a stock 1994 Mustang GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of modifications could I put on a stock 1994 Mustang GT?

It's currently got a 5L, V8 Engine and I really want to add some horse power. Problem is I'm really not sure what's compatible. Is there any site or anything like that?
I was thinking about a cold air intake and I was looking at one of these:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-cai-9495-50.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-9495-50l-cai.html

My other question is will my local ford dealer install these parts or would it be easier to do it myself?
currito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Ok first A K&N on a 5.0 engine will add an honest 5 horsepower minumum. This is if you also remove the air silencer in the fenderwell. Number two to the guy saying reflash your computer. The 1994 Mustang GT's computer cannot be flashed. You must add a chip. Here is the best and easiest way to add power.
Cold air kit, pulleys, cat back exhaust, chip, gears 373, throttle body 65mm, headers. The chip will help by giving a more aggressive timing and fuel curve and also take away the lost performance that 1994-1995 Mustangs had when shifting. On the 94-95 the computer cuts timing at shifts to help prevent transmission breakage. The means that when you shift at full throttle the car isnt giving you 100% power. A chip will also make an automatic shift firmer. You shouldnt be asking a bunch of people on yahoo about how to make you Mustang faster. Goto a good Mustang forums website and ask the die hard mustang guys. And by the way you are in luck. Most performance parts for 5.0 engines from 88-95 will interchange with each other and as any gear head knows the Mustang has one of if not the strongest after market of any single car. $700+ million last year. If I were you and had $500 Id get A coldair intake, pulleys and a catback exhaust. They were my first mods and you can feel the difference. Now if you want to perform with the newer mustangs you are gonna need alot of work. Cylinder heads, cam , intake etc. Dont listen to people who have never oned a 5.0 as they dont know what they are talking about. They will tell you a chip will add 50 horsepower and that an electric supercharger will work. An american muscle is a decent vendor but they are not the best when it comes to 5.0's. Your best bet as I said is goto a good Mustang Forums website and ask the diehard 5.0 guys and they will help you out alot.
mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The 5.0 is an easliy tuneable engine. You are going to have your disputes on what is better. Here's my opinion.

cold air intake
headers with 2 1/2 exhaust
heads ( something with 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust)
cam
intake(BBK SSI intake has been proven to gain 35 hp over the cobra intake)
underdrive pullies
gears in the rear 3.55 or 3.73
clutch and light weight flywheel (if manual)
2000-2500 stahl converter (if auto)
then get a custom tune on the computer to get everything in sync for optimum performance.

all of these items will produce. I promise
imported_kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It would save you a good deal of money if you do it yourself.Cold air kits are fairly easy to install and if you have any problems installing it they usually come with instructions but even if you have never done it before you should be able to install it easily and save yourself some money.If you decide to get one of these save the few extra bucks and get the BBK.
fitzsimons85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm assuming it came with a K & N air filter. IF not get one. It will add a bout 5 -7 HP and is pretty simple. Second, change you exhaust system. You can go to 2 /12 inc safely without having to do anything else to your engine to tune it.

As far as having a dealer do it, depends on how much you know. A dealer is super safe, they will guarantee it works and fits, but it will be expensive. Most local shops do any of this easliy though.
hulbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, to correct the guy above me, the filters will not add any more than 1-2 hp at the redline. I know this from personal experience. The best way to go, would be to add a new intake (not just the filter), and to have your car reflashed, or remapped, (not chipped). I added a K&N intake on my 98 bmw 328is, and gained 9hp at the redline. After having my ECU remapped at Speed Tuning USA, I gained 27 hp, and 23 ft lbs of torque, all for under $400.
JosT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
1994 mustang