Can I get a twin turbo kit to work on a newer model a mustang than what the turbo kit was made for? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Can I get a twin turbo kit to work on a newer model a mustang than what the turbo kit was made for?

I have 3.9l Mustand V6 and its for a 5.0 liter GT mustang in the late 1990s. Can i switch some parts to make it work? They are very cheap!
warrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Can I get a twin turbo kit to work on a newer model a mustang than what the turbo kit was made for?

you can make anything work if you know how to or have access to parts and fabrication machines. But the v8 and v6 exhaust manifolds are very different (1 less tube on each side). The other parts may be interchangeable
shan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yes but you have to do a lot of adjusting and might have to redo the plumbing,
then you have to adjust the timing, its really hectic
wakiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I’m not an expert but I wouldn’t think the v8 kit would fit on a v6 without changing out the exhaust manifolds; you might also have problems with the ECU software & Mass Air Meter.

Search google.com for mustang forums, I sure someone knows if the kits are interchangeable.
ranier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
gil
Registered Member
Regular

No the only part you could reuse without mods is the turbo itself. the throttlebody is in a different place so that plumbing wont route and the key to a turbo is flow from the exhaust manifold which will not bolt on to your motor and typically they bolt to your engine using an existing bolt location that wont be on your V6. Many reputable companies sell v6 turbos and in the long run it would be cheaper to go that way by the time you custom fab'd all the parts for this retrofit.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion