Why wont my Mustang sell?!?!?!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Why wont my Mustang sell?!?!?!?

I've been advertising my 98 mustang GT automatic for sale for 3 1/2 months now and trying to sell it. I've gotten like 3 calls and no one even wants to come look at it. Ive had signs in both windows and advertised it on a couple classifides that are very popular in my area. The rear tires need replaced, it needs new shocks, and the paint is peeling in a couple areas but has temporarily been controlled with touch up paint. kbb.com says this:
Excellent condition: $6300
Good condition: $5800
Fair condition: $5350
I've been advertising it for $5200!? The interior is PERFECT and the exterior looks almost perfect minus the paint touch ups. Low miles. Why wont it sell or why dont people even show any interest. I see lots of friends cars getting put up at higher than they are worth and they seem to sell the first week.
pacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Your car is a little overpriced. Also consider that the 1996-1998 models get something of a bad rep because they had the non- PI 4.6L engine and are slower than the 1999-2004 models. Also these cars are quite common, so there's more competition when it comes to selling them.
imported_raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The problem is the car looks overpriced. Your car is in good condition at best needing tires, shocks, and paint work. KBB says $4700 private party in good condition. KBB is not the only source people may be looking at. Edmunds, another very popular price guide says $3,000. If you search autotrader or yahoo cars you will find dozens of 98 GTs in good condition with an asking price below $4,000.

I can't say the car is overpriced without seeing it and driving it, but you're not going to get much action at your asking price. If the car truly is that good someone will eventually buy it but it's going to take a while.
aodha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The person buying an older rustang like that probably doesn't have the money to go ahead and replace the tires and shocks and buy the car all at the same time. You also need to realize that a paint job costs around 3k on average for a plain job so that is probably turning off a lot of buyers also.
fearghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Not many people are willing to buy a car with so much work that needs done. I know myself I'd rather buy a car hop in and start driving and not have to worry about repairs. I'd say at least put some new rubber on the back and lower the price to compensate for the shocks and paint and then maybe you could find somebody that may be interested. Keep in mind a decent paint job could run into thousands of dollars.
imported_conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

with all it needs, you're selling a car in poor condition. most people don't want to take a chance... especially on a muscle car with an automatic.
neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

People are broke! My friend just bought an 03 Mustang in perfect condition and 23k on it for 7 grand. You need to lower prices.
dooley28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

well, as a mustang owner I know a lot of things are a factor when buying a Mustang like, How many miles, what kind of transmission (auto or 5 speed) Mods, tires, suspension, clean title,what color is the interior Tan, Black or grey. paint (I'm going to guess you GT is Crystal white)

the sad fact is no one is going to want to pay $5200 for a Mustang with bad tires, peeling paint and suspension work that needs done, let alone your GT is an auto.
Most people that want a Mustang GT want one with a 5 speed.

sorry to be the doom bringer, but your GT is only going to be worth 3 if
your lucky, and if it has pretty low miles on it ( under 100K)

All I'm saying is look around on Craig's list and ebay and you'll see what a Gt is going for.
charly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with the white knight.
Excellent condition means the car is old but more or less brand new. never winter driven, amazing interior ect..

Good condition means it's above expectations for that vintage.

Fair condition means it's the price you should ask for that vehicle with average amount of wear. it's bound to have some rust, or dings, interior will probably show signs of wear. However, your car needs a paint job, shocks and tires. Maybe if all you needed was tires you could ask fair condition.

Also, consider the fact that only your rear tires need replacement. this is a tell that you drive the car hard and/or don't rotate tires regularly which is a sign of poor or sub-par maintenance schedual. A car that needs alot of work and might need more work in the near future isn't worth alot to anyone. I would drop the price by at least a grand.

Think of it this way, If someone buys your car, and has to put in X number of dollars to get it in "Good condition" they are going to want to have less in the car than if they had just gone out and bought one in good condition for 5800. Otherwise it's not even worth doing the work.
dunmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion