MUSTANG AND THUNDERBIRD? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

MUSTANG AND THUNDERBIRD?

i have a 97 ford thunderbird, im just wondering what kind of upgrades i could do to the 3.8 thats in it.would aftermarket parts for the 3.8 in the mustang fit ?if i went with a supercharger,would it be easer to go aftermarket or factory? really dont know what to do ,want to play with the car for a project ,im a chevy man my self but ya know any input healpfull...thanx
wakiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

MUSTANG AND THUNDERBIRD?

Check out supersixmotorsports(d0t)com. They do some insane stiff with Ford sixers. They offer stage III heads, porting and polishing work, and even a custom sheet metal intake manifold! Past that, think Supercoupe. The Eaton blower will bolt right onto your TBird and can be gotten cheap! Fairly easy install too. For some serious power, look for a Procharger P-1SC kit. Awesome supercharger! That is what I use to turn 820hp out of a streetable Mustang with a 5.4L D.S.S. block! As far as a V8 swap, DON'T! You will need to get a new K-member (if going 4.6L, complete engine, computer, engine bay harnesses, fender harnesses, interior/dash harnesses, chassis harness, etc. You will even have to change over to a Hydroboost brake system, asnthe vac. system will not clear the modular V8 engine. I know, I have done this! DO NOT ATTEMPT!
pueblo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

MUSTANG AND THUNDERBIRD?

That 3.8 has some pretty good heads on it from the factory, a bit of porting would help them. The factory supercharger would probably be the easiest to find, from a supercoup. I would try Ebay, but the best bet would be to get a whole tbird with body problems and swap out the supercharged engine. I think the main problem is that that motor is too small to push that car very fast without major compromises in driveability and reliability. I think a swap to a larger V8 would be the easiest. A 351W with headers and a good flowing dual exhaust would be much better. You might want to consider lower gears, as well. Don't know where you live, but if you live in a state or city with emissions inspections, you are very limited in what you can do, even with the motor that's in it. Probably some of the speed parts for the v6 mustang of that year would work on the Tbird.
hassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

MUSTANG AND THUNDERBIRD?

An F150 4.2L v6 would be nice.

That model 3.hate has 140 horsepower until 1999 and the 190+ HP versions came along. The 4.2L has 202-210 depending on year.

Good luck.
terrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

MUSTANG AND THUNDERBIRD?

i would put a supercoupe supercharger on it it should fit perfect. you can buy some real cheap on ebay.
rosiyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion