I have a 1996 mustang gt convetible with (4.6)? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 1996 mustang gt convetible with (4.6)?

The engine has about 140,000 it a 96 engine with a few bolt on parts, nothing fancy. I came across a 2002 engine also 4.6. That came out of a 2002 stang also gt (4.6). The tranny are the same. T-45"s . My question is is there any diffrerence in the computers or other components? (The 2002 has all the harness and computer) I will like to know is there is just a simple engine swap or there will be mayor modifications. I have a T-45 on my stang but is not "factory" it was touch by an elf at a local racing shop! (He,s specialty is trannys) To stand a lilttle love from the gas pedal!!! Im interested in knowing about the engine swap only. Is there any one that really knows about this and can send me some real, and good knowlege it will be apreciated, cause I can guess my self, but good advise is need it, before I purchase the power plant.
imported_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If it includes EVERYTHING (PCM, wiring, engine assembly including intake and exhaust manifolds, etc.), it should just be a direct BOLT-IN. However, 2002 model year Mustangs do use PATS (Passive Anti-theft System), which may be an issue once everything is bolted together. Sometime in and around 1998 to 1999, Ford changed the cylinder head designs on the modular engine families to utilize "square shaped" intake ports called "Power Improved", as opposed to the "teardrop" shaped intake ports your '96 4.6L uses. This means the intake manifolds will not interchange unless an aftermarket adapter plate is used. Hope this helps.
albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I thought for switched their manual trannys in 01 to a Tremec 3650. Try doing some research on Stangnet.com and see if any of those guys have performed the swap. I'm sure someone has and can give you some info.
derwynn67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
1996 mustang