Getting irritated with the barn owner where I board? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Getting irritated with the barn owner where I board?

Its a nice deal price wise, but other than that the place I board is slowly becoming more and more terrible!

So it flooded terribly recently, the whole barn was under about a foot of water at LEAST, and almost drowned a miniature pony.

Well the inside of the barn is a wreck in the first place. There are lots of loose rusty metal, tractor parts, and just tons of garbage. My horses have been on pasture 24/7 until I can get this place cleaned out well. I have been working on it, but it isnt even close. Well since it flooded, the barn owner came and opened this big sliding barn door to air it out. The barn is right in the middle of the pasture, so the horses could freely go into the barn as they pleased!

I was sort of ticked that he did it with out telling me, and when I got there that day my mustang was in the barn and had a bleeding cut on his back leg, but no swelling or limping. I have no doubt it was from that scrap metal!! Luckly he is up to date on his shots and the cut isnt severe, but it could have been worse. The stalls are all open in there, and god forbid if multiple horses ventured into the same stall and got in a fight! I immediately shut the barn when I got there but the owner got sort of ticked off and said it needs to be open to air out. But I dont care! My horses are more important than the barn smelling bad and being wet.

Well then the other day I came out there and a section of fence was down, and he was replacing it with barb wire! I barb wire isnt safe horse fencing. Regular wire would even be better. I asked him if he could use some regular wire, there was tons of it loose in the barn. But he wouldnt. So now my horses are at risk for being chopped up by the fence.

Everday I go out there SOMETHING terrible is occuring. He also keeps putting his ponies out with my horses, which I wouldnt THAT much, but his bay pony is a stallion and I have a filly that is almost three out there, and I do not want her bred!

I dont know if I am just used to getting my own way, because I used to have my horses on my own property, or if this guy really is this ridiculous. I cant really afford to go somewhere else, but I am about to sell my liver on the black market just to get the hell out of here!

P.S. look what the flood chased up into the tack room onto my saddle pad (it is the size of my whole hand. its blurry but I took it with my cell phone): http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...hetackroom.jpg

There were three of them in the tack room. Needless to say I went straight home and took a shower. *shudder*

So anyway, am I over reacting or is this guy putting my horses at risk all the time? What can I do? When ever I talk to him about it (politely) he gets all mad and even yells at me.
aodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Can you fence off the barn entry, which would allow it to air out but keep the horses out? If you have some T posts and some helpers, you could construct a temporary barrier to keep them out, hopefully using the materials already in the barn. As far as using barbed wire, it isn't the best, but I have kept horses at places that used it in the past and no tragedies occurred. If the pasture is large enough and the horses get along, it may not be a huge issue that has to cause immediate concern. Maybe after the dust settles, a better solution can be found.

My real concern is with his disregard for telling you what he is up to in advance, and his overall attitude. I would try to deal with it as best you can for now, and then begin looking for another good deal. Try the area farmers who know everyone, and may be able to direct you to someone with fenced land and a building that isn't being used right now.

It's obvious that this owner is not running a boarding facility, nor interested in doing so. He is leasing his property for you to use it that way. It is a whole different thing from boarding at a facility designed for that. But that's why you get the good deal on it. If you can make it work without jeapardizing your horse's safety, then it is a good way to go financially. Right now there are some serious issues, and some of them are the result of the flood, and can occur at any facility. As far as putting his stud in with your mare, that one can't be fixed by anything you can do. Again, I'd spread the word among the area farmers to see if anything comes of it.
cuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would move your horses. If anyone else is boarded there, I would advise them to do the same thing. No matter how much money you're saving, it's not worth it. Good luck.
cristobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

This situation isn't going to resolve itself anytime soon, I suggest take you and your horses elsewhere, for their own safety. If he loses business he's more likely to buck up his ideas in future.
Shadoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I would move your horses as soon as possible. The conditions do not sounds safe at all.
Lizzy
aescleah29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Talk to the barn owner.
donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You get what you pay for. Move your horse before it's too late.
tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I would move your horses. Good for you for worrying about this! get them out asap!
arnett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #9

It is a devil and deep blue sea situation.
It is his property and you are having use of it cheap.
The flood was not his fault - not unless he left a tap running! and the barn does need airing out.
Would it not be possible to open the doors and put something across to stop the horses getting in there?
I do not like the idea of a stallion out with my fillies either.
As for wire, I hate barb wire but hate plain wire even more and have seen far worse accidents with it than ever I have with barb because stock has no respect for it and will lean into it.
Can you not sit down and talk things through in a sensible manner with this man?
Aulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

He is definately putting your horses at risk! A flooding barn, sharp metal, fighting horses, barbed wire fences, and turning a stallion out with your mare! That guy is nuts. Get out of there! Find some place else to board. Some extra money is worth it.
jerad9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

id say get the heck outta there... its dangerous... for your check book and your horses... also, if you signed a contract not holding him responsible for any injuries, there is a loophole.. if he is neglectful, you may be able to take him to court and have him pay you for any damages. and if the animals are in a really bad situation, call the authorities. if hes got horses almost drowning, then there is definitly a problem there.
id talk to the guy, and if he started gettin mad, id start droppin hints bout how its neglectful, and he could get in some big trouble doing it.
where do you live at? im sure there r better places to keep your horse at, might have to do some barn chores, but id say its definitly worth it.
mathieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

awe well, we all have to vent sometimes, and I totally understand your frustration.

Let me point out one thing-- you say you can't afford to move. Can you afford to stay? Barbed wire = vet bill. Damp barn = vet bill and lost tack. Sheet metal = vet bill.
Just one call to the vet for an emergency will cost you more than a month of board. Sounds to me like you need to move.

Btw, I've NEVER heard of a boarding facility that used barbed wire. I mean never.
Dinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

HMmm it is the mans property, so he can pretty well do what he likes with the property including opening the barn door to let it air out. Not his fault that it flooded.
The picture, is of a spider...show me a barn with out a spider in it...geesh...there is no such thing. You ARE overreacting there.
Barbed wire, not my favourite, but again...his property and his fences. You say that you cannot afford anything else, well then I guess you have to deal with it as best as you can.
If you don't like the way things are done there, then it is time to rethink and change your priorities. Either leave, and pay more for boarding, OR stay and deal with the situation as best you can. Maybe you can call a part of the pasture "yours" while you are there and manage it the way you like it. Call a part of the barn "yours" and manage that the way you see fit. Keep your tack in your car, or at home and carry it to the barn when you use it...not the best but if you DNT want spiders, then that is what you will have to do. You have to sit down and have a long heart to heart talk with your self on this one...what do you want that you can afford. It is after all not your place it is his...you have to remember that.
hawiovi17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
Ryn
Registered Member
Regular

You are not over-reacting. And is it not 'getting your own way' to demand that the horses be kept in a safe environment. All barns have some drama, and there is a lot I will put up with if I think my horse is getting good care. However, your BO is putting the horses as risk for serious injury. It seems like you have gone beyond the call of duty to fix up and maintain a property that you don't even own.

I hope you don't have to sell your liver, but I see no option but to move if you want to keep your horses safe. Paying more for board may be painful, but staying where you are is going to involve a big vet bill (or worse) sooner or later.

That's sucks and I'm sorry.
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You're not overreacting at all - it's time to get the heck out of there. The owner obviously doesn't give a crap about safety or what you think, so things are not likely to change.

You could get some electric fence to keep the horses away from the open barn and the barbed wire, but I think having the pony stallion in with my filly would be what scares me the most.
Nevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

You say you care about your horses. Move to another barn. Today would not be a moment too soon. Don't look back. Whatever you are paying, nothing is worth the hassle they are going through. The owner is probably under some financial stress but that is not your problem and he should not make it yours.

Happy Trails
HorseFeatherZ
jar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You need to speak to him about it, you're paying for this board and right now it sounds like he's taking liberties and taking the mick out of you.
If you put your foot down and tell him you think he's doing a crap job of running a livery, and that if he doesn't sort it you'll move - I bet he will make an effort to change it. The only reason he's yelling at you is because he knows you'll back down - stand up to him, I wouldn't pay anyone that's as much of a prick as that.
allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Wow. You need to get your butt and your horses outta there now! I've never heard of someone so stupid boarding horses. What an idiot! Why in the world would he open up a barn for boarding when he obviously knows nothing about horses.
Oh, and you should not have to clean out the inside of the barn. The owner should do that.
Oh and what about that mini pony! What the hell? Why would he even think to let that happen. Obviously he isn't there much.
I don't understand all that dangerous crap being in there. Especially with the door open.
Why would he put his stallion with your mare.
Jeez, I can't even begin to explain how furious I am. I don't even know this guy, or have any horses being boarded there!
He is truly ridiculous, it isn't just you.
I understand your financial situation however, I think it would be best for you to move barns. This guy obviously doesn't care about anyone else, or even his horses, or customers! If you go to another barn. You may have to pay a little more, but remember it is for the safety of your horses, and you will lose much more than a horse if one of them falls fatally ill or gets fatally wounded.

Whoa! That freaking spider is crazy! I would run out screaming! haha.

I definitely don't think you're overreacting. This guy is crazy. It seems like he is only after your money and doesn't care about your horses or know anything about them.
You are a paying customer. If he is going to yell at you about it, then he isn't respecting his customers. I highly recommend relocating your horses.
Maybe you can offer to exercise and train horses until you can afford to move your horses.

Oh, and I read your other question last week about the flooding at your barn and how to get to your horses. And you said he never answers the phone and is hard to get in touch with. That is not a good sign.
And I'm glad your horses are ok after the flood!

Hope I helped! Best of luck!

Oh and sorry about the previous posting. I may have deleted it before you saw it but I didn't realize i was in my sister's account and answered with that one. So I deleted it and switched to my account and reposted. Sorry for the confusion. haha.
raedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Meagan, time to move your horses and find another place to pasture board or barn board. NO you are not over reacting....this situation Isn't worth yelling at the guy as you know more than he does about what's "safe" to use around horses...i.e., fencing, etc.

You know, you CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!

His carelessness isn't worth jeopardizing the safety of your horses....don't sell your liver just yet....peruse the neighborhood looking for another boarding situation....I'd start now with the looking around as Labor Day is approaching, and those people who normally board in the winter will also be on the lookout for a place to board their horses. The sooner you begin, the better. Keep your ear to the floor, check the regular places where people post their stalls for rent and other boarding scenarios (feed stores, tack shops, word of mouth). Or, if you have the time for it, and you do find another boarding situation, perhaps you could exchange some of your knowledge for board...i.e., lessons, etc. Just a thought. Good luck.
Dinari is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion