Will a mustang 2 rack and pinion fit in a 61 ford ranchero? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Will a mustang 2 rack and pinion fit in a 61 ford ranchero?

i have a 61 ranchero with a 5.0 efi engine in it and i was going to put a mustang 2 rack and pinion in it and i got to thinking. i started looking at pictures and it looks like the rack and pinion is mounted in front of the tires which in my understanding would make the wheels turn the opposite of my ranchero. the stock steering components are mounted behind the front tires. i would just modify the parts but my drivers side header is hiting the steering box and the inner ti rod is right up against the oil pan. has anyone done this. i need help.
breandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Your suspension is designed to work a certain way, if you flip the spindles around, you will get all sorts of crazy under/over steer situations..yes.. I know that some cars have the tie rod in the front... the spindle arms have to be bent a certain way so that the tires don't work against each other....
If you can use the mustang spindles though, this will work....

If the steering box is mounted to the outside of the frame, an old hotrodders trick was to use a half inch steel spacer between box and frame to give more clearance.....
codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i have a straight 6 you could avoid it all.out of a 61 ford van.172'
change the pan. mod the header.
hows that sound ?
ioan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, Fat Man sells parts and stuff for this. Isnt the easiest thing to do but works pretty well. May as well turn over the front end to more modern front end parts at the same time
myung-dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

been along time since i was under a ranchero.you would need to swap the spindles, at the very least, but anything is doable.i think you might wanna do the whole disc and a arm swap if your gonna be doing that much work,if your a welder with tools and a torch and welder, itll take a few days by yourself.good luck.atleast yours went in, had to remove engine swap out headers and oil pan, then had to pull engine again and take passenger side header off, mount it to the exhaust pipe and finesse it on the head when the engine was finally down.it was a 63 originally a 260 with i think a 3 spd not sure, but it ended up being posi with c4 and early 80'2 302 ho with marine cam etc.
cingeswiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

1. Did you swap the oil pan and oil pick-up tube to a front sump pan? This has to be done to clear the stock suspension.
2. You can not swap the spindles with out running into brake problems! It has to do with leading and trailing shoes and all sorts of other problems!
I think what you need is a different oil pan and oil pick up tube. While you are at it, spring for a wind-age tray from Ford performance. The header problem is common and the ball peen hammer solution is used by many.
cingeswiella is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion