Part in transmission pan of 2001 Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Part in transmission pan of 2001 Mustang?

I opened the trans pan on a 2001 Mustang to change the at fluid and found a part rolling around. The part is plastic, about 1.5 inch long (total), with a 1 inch stem (approx 0.25 in in diameter) attached to a 0.5 inch hemispherically shaped body with an oring around the body. The is a recess or opening at the far-end of the hemispheric body.
I looked for hours at the underside of the transmission but could not find any place where that part might fit. I also searched the net but could not identify the part. The local ford dealer needed to see the car, so they were no help.
The car has 90K mile and has no detectable transmission problems and has never had the at fluid changed until now. I performed all the service on the car.
Its my daughter's car and she is moving 1400 miles away, so any help would be greatly I opened the trans pan on a 2001 Mustang to change the at fluid and found a part rolling around. The part is plastic, about 1.5 inch long (total), with a 1 inch stem (approx 0.25 in in diameter) attached to a 0.5 inch hemispherically shaped body with an oring around the body. There is a recess or opening at the far-end of the hemispheric body.
I looked for hours at the underside of the transmission but could not find any place where that part might fit. I also searched the net but could not identify the part. The local ford dealer needed to see the car, so they were no help.
The car has 90K mile and has no detectable transmission problems and has never had the at fluid changed until now. I performed all the service on the car.
Its my daughter's car and she is moving 1400 miles away, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rudy
glendyn52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

That part is a factory plug that goes in the dipstick tube hole so nothing falls inside during the building process then when the tube is installed it is pushed through into the pan it is harmless and is most often removed when a trans service is done like you are doing, not to worry just toss it away.
duck-young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No need to feel stupid people come in to our dealer all the time with these things, you found it in the pan and of course you want to know where it came from good for you for wanting to make sure everything is back where it should be and correct
schmaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Leave it out.In there when they put the car together in the assembly line.It is the plug of the dipstick tube.Congratulate yourself for being the first one to take off the pan.
ruhleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Greg is correct, had that problem on my dads oldsmobile
arrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It is a factory plug
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Added to Greg's answer, on the assembly line, the transmissions are filled in a vertical position on a conveyor and if the dip stick tube wasn't plugged, the fluid would necessarily run out of the tube. When the transmissions are installed, the dip stick pushes this plug into the pan.

As a side note, this is a very common concern and I have had many customers come into the shop (all in a panic) with this part in hand.
gaven60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2001 mustang