2002 Mustang GT Brake light? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2002 Mustang GT Brake light?

2002 Mustang GT
57k miles
4.6L V8

This just recently started happening. I was driving about 50mph when a car pulled out in front of me. I had to hit the brakes hard. When I did, the brake light on my dash lit up for a few seconds then went out. So far this has occured about 3 times, only on hard braking.

I was under the impression that the brake light indicator on the dash was only associated with the E-brake.

I keep my car well maintained. All fluid levels are normal. What could be causing this issue? My car still has the original 7yr warranty from when I purchased it in 2002, but runs out in a few months, so I wanna get this fixed soon if it is a defective part.
dario is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Brake fluid level low, fluid sloshes to front of the reservoir during hard stops. Do not top off fluid, have the brakes checked. The front brakes are probably worn out. Take to dealer and have your oil changed, a free 31 point inspection will be performed that includes a brake inspection. The brakes will not be covered under warranty, this is a wear item that is covered under the basic warranty for 12 months/12,000 miles.
twain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Is your brake pedal still firm when you push on the brakes?
Is the stopping distance still ok?

If you have the warranty, take it to a dealer and see if they will do a free brake inspection. I think some brake/muffler shops like Midas will also do a brake inspection for free. My wife's old Sebring had this same problem during hard braking and cornering and it was low brake fluid. I would check it again and look at your manual to make sure.

Good luck.
corley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2002 mustang