Alright Ford gear heads just another quick question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Alright Ford gear heads just another quick question?

So I have to pull the heads off my 2001 Mustang Gt ... and well I was looking for parts online for my car and ran across DOHC heads.... If I bought those for my car what else would I have to do to the engine Or whatever else to make it work... or can it even be done.... how different is the GT block from the Cobra block ?
Kermichil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If the GT and Cobra are both 4.6 they are enterchangable. With the heads you may have to change the programming on the computer.
baldur84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

just cause they are both 4.6 dosen't mean they are interchangable the gt is a SOHC and the Cobra is a DOHC thats why I asked the question to me with an answer Like that it seems like you don't know what your talking about and I have no clue why your answer was chosen as the best
kent12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you change the cylinde heads, you need a new intake, new valve covers, timing chains, and the emission parts are put at different places.
camdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Um, I Race Cars...
You mean the 05-07 3 valve motors right? Oh and my 06 is an aluminum block car, not iron.

The one poster earlier was talking about a Mclaren motor.... actually the block is italian... Teksid. But the motor is pure ford v8.
thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

There were two different Cobra engines. One was made by Ford, the other was made my McLaren. (If I remember right). The McLaren was totally different engine, although it was an overhead cam motor. It was not a Ford product at all. So what you need to do is contact your friendly Ford parts department. They can best answer your questions. AND save you a lot of money in the process.
stanwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Im sure Ive read that its a simple bolt on but you need to get the computer from the cobra and the cobra block is stronger.
aescleah29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

wont work.... just go to karkraft.com buy something that will work on your ride instead of messing around with different heads and computer.the 04-07 4.6 3 valve motor for 2295 is a steal.. pony intake , 300 hp iron block stronger motor than stangs ....complete new engines
hurste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Dude you cant do it! If you have a 4.6 SOHC mill you cant just bolt on DOHC heads...Single Overhead Cam is a totally different animal than its Double Overhead Cam brethren. DOHC is fairly exotic and primarily used in high rev, high performance applications. A DOHC V8 motor has a total of 4 camshafts, one for intake valves and one for exhaust valves on each bank. Your SOHC mill has a total of 2 camshafts, one on each bank operating both the intake and the exhaust valves.
imported_travis is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion