Is it possible to turn my p71 crown vic into a muscle car possible? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Is it possible to turn my p71 crown vic into a muscle car possible?

Okay so dont rip on me too bad but I just saw Fast and Furious 4 and it with summer around the corner im ready to add some modifications to my car.

So I have a 2000 p71 (police interceptor) crown victoria and I wanna just make its fastER. I have heard that the p71's already come with all performance parts but I just feel like its a lot more that I could do to kinda have the speed and acceleration of a mustang or one of those old school MUSCLE CARS. what all could I do to just add some serious horsepower and speed to my car. I know im pretty limited because the frame adds A LOT of weigh to the vehicle but im just looking for some suggestions because I know marauders are fast too but I want to make my car make a marauder look like a granny car.
Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you want that thing to move, the solution is simple. Nothing beats cubic inches. The car you are driving has had the 427 wedge and a variety of 460 cid as a stock motor. From all I have seen, Ford has not changed that chassis in the last 40 years. I would drop in a 460, which will go under that hood without the slightest problem, and then build the heck out of it. When done, you can easily get into the 800 to 1000 HP range and still have a reliable engine.

I don't know if you have tried this, but even the non PI cars will go over 120, my Grand Marquis did so easily.
tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.adtr.net/
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Personally, I wouldn't invest in an old crown vic - especially since it's already a fast car and you actually run the risk of making it SLOWER and less efficient if you don't know what you're doing (and can't afford to have someone else put go-fast parts in it for you). Muscle cars were just big regular cars with a lot of power, which is what you already have.

However... take a look at what nitrous did for this big old Jaguar (it beats a ferrari, corvette, porche, and honda in a drag race):
roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in your position with my 2002 Crown Vic. Don't worry about making the car go much faster. Like another reviewer said, NOS is one way to get a big difference in performance if you have to. Keep in mind that these vics are getting old and rolling up the miles, so unless you've got loads to spend on complete overhaul or serious repairs down the road, focus on making a muscle car more than a fast and furious type car. By that I mean get some low, rumbling mufflers, a K&N cold air intake and a new coat of paint. You'll be happier, drive safer, get less speeding tickets, get better gas mileage, not kill your car, and look/sound awesome doing it. A muscle car is exactly what you already have... A big American V8 in an option-stripped car with nice suspension that goes fast (but not too fast). Add some Flowmasters and you're set.
moreley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

To start with I would suggest that you upgrade the engine get rid of the over head cam 4.6 and replace it with the 4 over head cam 4.6. It will make a huge difference in how the car runs. and with minimal work you can easily get that engine to over 500 horse power. which will make the ol Crown Vic roll really nice. And still keep the weight down.
Gearing makes a huge difference in how fast a car is as well. So you may consider putting some lower gears in the rear end.

Also lets put this Police Interceptor to myth to bed. The interceptor does not have any more power than a regular Crown Vic. They run a bare bones 4.6 liter V-8 just like any other Crown Vic. They only thing that makes them faster is the fact that they do not have a governor. The only mechanical difference is the Interceptor has bigger brakes and a stronger transmission
Jayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

well to answer in the fast and the furious crowd.. add nos dood fer sure NOS is the way to go with everything.

To answer in the realm of everyone else i.e. reality.

Supercharging will always add some power, also look into getting some taller gears for your rear-end. Some 3.73's will give it a feel of more power. I dont know what they come with stock. Also, some under drive pulley's will free up some horses. Dont know how much your trying to spend. You can gut the inside and put a sparco type seat in with a roll cage if your trying to go serious racing. Put some torsion bars on the rear-end for traction. Lots of things you can do to add power to that car if you do it correctly.
bartlett14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion