92 Ford Mustang, Auto to manual swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

92 Ford Mustang, Auto to manual swap?

I was thinking about buying a 1992 Mustang I was eyeballing...but one problem, it's an auto. I really like manuals, I don't mind auto but I think manuals are a lot more fun to drive. It has a 2.3 four cylinder engine, so I was wondering, how I could do this, what I would need and how much could this cost (with used parts or new). You don't have to answer all three. Thanks.
bellden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

doing this would definately cost more than the car is worth i say save your money and just buy a manual you wont regret it.
tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, yeah, it would be astronomical to spend the THOUSANDS of dollars to change the car from auto to manual tranny. The main problem is that the car is built to house the auto mechanism, especially where it comes into the driver section. A manual has completely different linkage setup.
Changing trannies out like this is always a desire for lots of people. But it is MUCH better to just keep looking for same car in manual standard. I can't even consider how many thousands of dollars it would seriously cost to change it over. If you're a big shot car designer and have hundreds of thou' to spend, then go for it. But a normal person just trying to get a good fun car, don't bother.
Just keep looking, you'll find a Mustang manual that will suit you much better. I know how sad that can be, especially when a specific car has caught your eye. You just don't want to let it go, and you'll consider almost anything to get it. Sorry.
lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Because the Mustang is a 2.3L, I would opt to just leave it alone, if you're even going to buy it. I could see swapping to a manual if it was a GT because the value is alot higher, but not a standard LX. It's just not valued at enough to swap it to a manual.

You could however find a good GT for the price of the LX and the swap, a real nice one that already a manual.
bourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The cost I don't know, but parts I can help with.
1st manual trans with shifter, 2nd clutch and brake pedal assy.
3rd clutch cable. all parts should be from 90's model mustang.
from my web site about my Fairmont
http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/tonga/727/id2.htm
h¡varr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It would cost far too much for it to be worth doing a swap for a car like this. If I were you, I would keep my eye on the market and see if anything else popped up that was already a stick.
colton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion