Where did the name Pony car come from? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Where did the name Pony car come from?

I was telling a friend of mine about the Nationwide COTs and how they were pony cars back in June. The I saw on Jayski that Ford proposed to NASCAR the Mustang in 2013 for Cup. I instantly thought back to June, and the word pony car. Just how did we get the name Pony for cars like the Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro?
odam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The name Pony Car comes from within the automotive industry. It refers to the Camaro, and Mustang. The Chrysler Corporation really didn't have a Pony Car. The Pony Cars were used in Trans Am and IROC style type of racing. They are the intermediate cars in the 2 door version of each manufacturer. Chrysler created the Challenger to enter this field, that's why you see Camaro and Mustang in '67, and no Challengers until '70 Quote from Wikipedia: "The first generation was a pony car built from 1970 to 1974" The Pony cars also used the "smaller horses" in a Ford Mustang instead of the 428 c.i.d. big block, they used a 302 c.i.d. small block in their Pony Car. Camaro used a 302 c.i.d. in their performance Pony Cars. Chrysler also had big block Challengers, but ended up using a 340 c.i.d. engine in their Challenger, as the rules for competition had changed for engine production and applications to the series.
chankoowashtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #3

The term itself "was coined by Dennis Shattuck, who was editor of Car Life magazine" at the time.[9] The term "originates from the equestrian sounding Ford Mustang".[2]
imported_Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion