Is a 2012 mustang gt good for a beginners first car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Is a 2012 mustang gt good for a beginners first car?

My brother is turning sixteen in a couple months and my dad is going to buy him a gt. He says he doesn't want a v6 engine he thinks it doesn't enough power. the mustang with a v6 has 312 hp i thinks thats alot for a v6, what are your opinions on this.
felan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #2

Anything more then that would be to much power for a beginner
Milbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I got a used 10 speed Schwinn,that would be good enough!
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think that is too much power to age ratio. I would suggest getting something that can take a bang or two, without costing a fortune to fix, can take abuse ( clutch burn, gearbox grind, or if auto trans , well maintained beforehand) . A 1400-1600 cc engine should be more than adequate. When he has mastered that he can trade up later. All depends on the experience of the driver. Remember a v6 Mustang can kill and main a lot more people accidentally than a smaller car. Safety and consideration first. Plenty of time for speed when the experience is gained. Hope that helps.
kealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

it has good speed, but not so great handling, i had had experience, it is nice looking and has great performance but you need some experience behind the wheel before you can handle that, if you do then your fine.
Kilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

well 312 hp is to much for someone just learning to drive im on my third car. this 1 is just a toyota carola. i was hopeing for a ford but o well im 16 so i cant be picky. if he is geting a mustang then 1 he is one lucky guy, and 2 the 4 cylinder would be just fine. my dad has 1 and its sweet.
felan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Nah, just get a little pickup if your 16. I'd hate to see a kid wreck that kind of car.
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

anyone who says its too powerful is dumb. my first car was my mustang GT and it has 300 hp. that horsepower gets u more confident because u know u can easily beat people when you make left turns n shiiit
kinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Getting it for your first car would be sweet but honestly it's not a very smart idea if you're a teenager....ask any insurance company, your parents will need a second mortgage to pay them for the 6 months or less you have it in one piece.

You're first car should be a reliable beater because it will be cheap to insure but most importantly CHEAP TO FIX, it. Cause odds are you will hit something at some point while learning to drive (we all have). Not to mention it's also better if it doesn't have a ton of HP....maybe enough to join the freeway, but giving a kid any more is just asking for them to get an attitude/ego and of course get into trouble and the sad truth is you can thank tons of kids like that for making insurance on mustangs so expensive.

So in the long run, it's better if you have a less powerful car to start off.....if you have you're beater for a few years, learn what you're doing and don't get into too much trouble,Once insurance rates go down for you, THEN you can get a mustang or something w/ some power, cause hopefully by then you will be able to not only appreciate a car like that, but more importantly you will know how to handle a car like that a lot better than some kid who gets it straight out of the gate.

I know it may sorta suck but the idea of getting a beater for your first car is so when you do get a nice/faster car you can not only more easily afford it.But you can also keep it in one piece
(which is what you want to do w/ a nice car right?)

Cause as I said you can ask any insurance company if it's a good idea and they will tell you how often

1 teenager + teenage ego + powerful car - actual experience = one less mustang/kid.

....and I seriously doubt your parents want that to be you
agni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Its a sweet car but too much for a 16 yr old. Unless he has already been in SCCA for a year or so. Most people wreck their first car in the first 18 months. Get a nice used car learn your lessons and then go for the nicer car.

Insurance on a new GT for a 16yr old would be insane. The V6 is also a sweet car and the insurance might be a bit cheaper but still a lot.
jeremias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #11

He's 15 and doesn't think 305 hp isn't enough? There's trouble waiting to happen, no matter what he drives he's going to get into trouble...If he was my kid, he wouldn't drive until he's 18...your father should make a deal, if he get's him a 4 cyl (NO TURBO) car now and stays out of troubLe and stays in school, he'll get the v8 GT when he's 18...OH, and it has 412 HP..
http://autos.aol.com/article/2011-ford-mustang-review/

I predict he will lose his license in 30 days
Ardley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2012 mustang