I recently bought a brand new 2012 Mustang GT 5.0L engine V8 6 speed, my first V8.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I recently bought a brand new 2012 Mustang GT 5.0L engine V8 6 speed, my first V8.?

Now I notice that the oil temp gauge runs just a tick past the middle to the higher side and has done this since I bought the car (3 weeks ago). I believe, but I am not sure that this is probably normal with a car with this engine, is this true or should I have it checked out? Thanks!
chaakmongwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I recently bought a brand new 2012 Mustang GT 5.0L engine V8 6 speed, my first V8.?

If you get a scan gauge, it will give you accurate readings and MPG...
Or take it to a garage and have them read it on theirs and then you'll have a accurate reference point..

ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools
http://www.scangauge.com/
3-in-one automotive computer includes built-in Trip Computer, Scan Tool, Digital Gauges and more. works gas, diesel, propane and hybrid vehicles.
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

'the oil temp gauge runs just a tick past the middle to the higher side'...
What is that supposed to mean, do you think we have a 2012 Mustang GT oil pressure gauge on our desk to compare with yours ?
A tick past the halfway mark means absolutely nothing to me or anyone else..

Alright, the minimum operating engine oil temperature is 210F, the optimum engine oil temperature is 220F, this means the engine should be placed under a load UNTIL the oil temp has reached at least 210F, the only time an internal combustion engine is not under a load is when it's idling in neutral or park. Oil does not provide proper lubricating properties until it reaches 210F, do not move or drive your Mustang GT until the oil reaches 210F..
Don't get me twisted, i'm not trying to insult you, i'm trying to save your engine and your money, acquire and install a mechanical oil temperature gauge and/or use a thermocouple and external gauge to synchronize your generic unmarked factory gauge with the 210F mark, let the engine warm until the oil has reached minimum operating temp and you will enjoy thousands of trouble free milees from your Mustang GT, you'd bee surprised to learn of how many engine bearing failures are caused by repeatedly placing a load on them before the oil has reached minimum temp...
It has little to do with viscosity or ability to flow but everything to do with the composition of the oil.
Good Luck
Zachaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Sweety,

The higher oil temp is a byproduct of a higher operating temperature. Newer cars run hotter by design in order to promote more complete combustion thereby more economy and fewer emissions. Bottom line, it is normal. Mine does the same thing.

Eric
adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking you're looking at the engine temperature gauge which reflects the coolant temperature NOT the oil temperature.......... I don't think there's an oil temp gauge installed from the factory. 195F- 210F would be about right on the coolant temp.
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

iv owned 2 v8 trucks and both have ran just a little to the warm side and is very normal. atleast for trucks assuming a car is the same if its got the same engine
corcoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If it always runs like that, it is fine. Gauges in cars aren't usually well calibrated. You use them to look for trends (running higher/lower than normal or in the red).
natal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #8

Completely normal and probably more so in V8s.. My BMW 540i V8 runs a tad past the half-way point and hasn't burned up in over 13 years.
baudier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It is a 2012 car I mean... you are way better asking this at your dealer instead of here, Yahoo Answer will not cover your warranty.
sutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2012 mustang