Can anyone identify this strange car squeal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Can anyone identify this strange car squeal?

My 2005 Mustang GT has been squealing lately and I dont know what it is, it makes the noise on low speeds 10-15 mph, and does it whether the car is on brakes or gas. It only makes the noise if the car is in motion, it wont do it in neutral or start up. Noise sounds like it is coming from under the passenger side of the car. I thought it was my bearing but after taking it in the shop, they said my bearings were fine and that they couldnt identify the sound source.

Please any help would be appreciated, i also included a link of the sound. THANKS

edoardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #2

I agree with the other two answers. Definitely sounds like worn brake pads. What is happening is there is a metal tab that begins to contact the rotor when the pad wears down to minimum thickness. This is what begins to produce the squeaking noise you are hearing. The pads have to be replaced for sure, but you should also inspect the rotors and make a judgement call to replace them or not as well. Normally they need replacing if the surfaces are too scarred or they are worn too thin because they will not dissipate the heat as well as when they were newer and thicker and you will have problems with brake fade and possibly brake failure is braking severe enough. Not trying to scare you, but good brakes are vital to safety and you shouldn't put a price on yours or anyone elses safety.
Ailbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

Brake pads are going bad maybe? Catch it before they wear through and ruin the routers. They will squeal whether brakes are being presse are not because they are constantly turning. Get it checked.

Boy my boyfriend would be impressed
Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

it sounds like could be your break pads or your belt i would change the belt to see if that is it that will be cheap or it could be the bearing in the alt which will be costly but go with the belt 1st
Zachaios is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion