Will air in my brake system effect my clutch pedal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Will air in my brake system effect my clutch pedal?

If there is any air in the brake system will that effect my clutch pedal and if so in what way? Is it possible that it could make the clutch harder to press down? I asked because I know that in these cars the clutch system and the brake system share the same reservoir so to me That kinda makes sense but I'm not too sure .I have a manual 2006 Mustang GT and my clutch pedal is very stiff. For a while started to think that that was normal but now I'm not too sure. I asked a ford mechanic and he told me that that was a common problem with my car and I also took it to the dealership and had someone driving around the block with me, telling me that that was normal. So I started to think it was normal but now I'm not too sure Ive heard people say that these clutch pedals are supposed to be very light because they are hydraulic. But what also throws me off is that I'm met a smaller petite girl who owns the same year model as I do it's also manual and I asked her if her clutch felt stiff and she said it was very light and she said it was actually much lighter than she expected. I wasn't able to test it because I didn't know her and at the time I didn't have the time but I don't understand that. usually when ask this question I get from people that I need to work out more but I go to the gym every day so and I'm 26 so I'm pretty fit. I mean how much pressure should be required to press this pedal down all the way ? if I just put my foot on the pedal should the weight of my leg alone be a able to press it down because I definitely need more pressure than that and i weigh 225 so im not that light. I mean i basically have to put my back into it lol and to do it a few times is no big deal but in the course of driving it from traffic light to traffic light its gets old really fast. So if anybody has any info for me I would appreciate it. Thanks
Barnhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know what to tell you is wrong, but that's not right. I'm 5'8' and 140 lbs and I don't have a problem with any clutch. If I was your size and had to use that much effort, I'd take it in somewhere. Ask a neighbor or a friend for the name of a good tech., or call the BBB and ask them for a name.
maxfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

no no chance at all of air in the brake affecting the clutch.
first things i would check if your sure the pedal is stiff is the pivot on the clutch fork as it goes into the bell housing as these need to be lubed and they never get done.
the other thing is the pedal pivot its self the bushes can co-lapse and cause stiffness other than that it could be a bad cover plate or release bearing but the bearing would normally be very noisy
coty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Completely separate systems. Air in your brake lines will not effect the clutch pedal. However air in your hydraulic clutch system will effect the clutch.
abiram is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion