Mods for 2001 Ford Mustang GT - Cold Air Intake and Exhaust? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mods for 2001 Ford Mustang GT - Cold Air Intake and Exhaust?

I don't know much about cars but I'm looking for a few relatively inexpensive way to make the car drive better or sound better for under $1000-$800. So from my research I kept coming across Cold Air Intakes and Exhaust systems. Would you agree these could be the two best area's to start? Another guy mentioned to get a short shifter, but I don't know about those either or what brand.

Cold Air Intake - Is K/N the best? Is brand name very important with these? I've seen them cheap on ebay, but then other's for $200+. Right now it only has the normal filter. I've seen the cheap ones on Ebay that look kind of like an arm with the cup looking air intake on the end. Could someone please help direct me to what is a good one to get. And again, if it's not going to make a big difference in quality, I would be fine going with the generic of the COI to save $200.

The Exhaust - Now the Mustang is a Premium edition. It does have 2 exhaust pipes coming out the back (all stock). The car sounds pretty good stock as it is to me, but I just want to add that little rumble. Not too choppy when it's idling like I've heard from other Mustangs, but a smooth rumble. Is there a popular item that a lot of people get for this sound? I've seen so many different sizes and types of exhaust I have to where to start. Any help with that would be very helpful. Of course I've heard of Flowmasters, but I don't know if that is what I want or not. And I've seen "full system's" and "partial systems"?

I just don't know where to begin. I'm starting to visit some Mustang Forums and learning though. It's a new car (to me anyway) and I would love to go ahead and have some things on the list to upgrade, starting with something maybe around $100-$150 that I can install myself, then go up a little as I save more money.

So basically the CAI, the Exhaust, any cool interior mods (that wouldn't look tacky), and if $200+ for a new shifter would be worth it (right now it's probably not the first on the list).

Thanks guys, and links to some of the well known and highly bought CAI's and Exhaust systems in my price range would be great. I would love to spend $400-$600 and get both, but I don't want to waste money on junk either.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

air intake and exuast are the most and usually first mods people do. its not expensive and usually good for a little HP and fuel mileage. flowmaster has several different mufflers so you can find the rumble you are lookin for. my advice, ask other mustang owners who have the sound you like. as for cold air intakes, k&n is the name you hear for a reason. they are the best. you dont want crap in the air gettin in your motor because you wanted to save a few bucks on a "budget" filter. save your money and do it right the first time.
gruffudd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

We tried the KN for our 2000 Mustang GT on the dyno and it didn't make much at all. We had three cai's and the R2C Performance was the best. It made 11.3 HP without having to tune. The filter is much better and doesn't need oiling. You can probably tune it for more. See what www.r2cperformance.com
akins is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cold air intake, exhaust