Should I buy a new or used Mustang V6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #1

Should I buy a new or used Mustang V6?

Alright, so I'm thinking about buying a Mustang. It would be an automatic v6 coupe. I'm trying to decide whether to buy it new or used. I'm thinking new because I don't trust used cars, but used because they're so much cheaper. This would be my first car out of college and something I will drive every day. I can afford either but would obviously have much more extra money if I buy used. And if I buy used, which year should I buy? I'm thinking no older than 2005, but was there any year that truly took a leap forward compared to other years?
imported_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You need to do some math (don't you hate that). Will the savings in fuel on the newer Mustangs with better economy off set the savings on the additional investment? With fuel prices the way they are the savings on fuel may offset the additional cash outlay, increased insurance costs and taxes. There can be hidden savings in a new car when compared to a used car, such as tires (which are not cheap right now).
If you know how many miles you plan on driving a year, see how the difference in fuel economy will impact the total cost. It seems to be a savings of about a nickel a mile right now to buy the newer Mustang.
My own suggestion is to look for a 2011 model used.
roselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The 2005-2010 models are all relatively the same. Rule of thumb is the newer, the better, but not always true. All are 210 horsepower on the v6 and all years were average, or better, reliability.

In the 2011 models (and also applicable to 2012 models), Ford changed the engine in the V6 to the 3.7L duratec, which improved fuel economy to 31 highway while increasing horsepower to 305.

If you want the latest technology and a great engine for the money, the 2011-2012 is the way to go.
If you want don't care about the difference between 210 and 305 horsepower and a couple miles per gallon, then I would recommend at looking at a lower mileage 2010 model.

The extreme change in technology from 2010-2011 drives the resale prices on the last generation down. If you know that you are doing, you can get a very sweet deal on a 2010 v6.

With any used vehicle purchase, invest the extra $ to have an independent mechanic inspect it before signing anything. Unless you are getting a great certified warranty, you need to hedge against buying someone else's problem and an inspection greatly reduces this risk.
derwynn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

buy used if you have CASH, new if you have to finance. APR on a used car is alway high.
lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have owned a 2005 mustang and currently own a 2010(mine are v8s tho) personally I love the 2009 model(wish I would've gotten one of those) the 2010-2012 are just so bubbly and take out the muscle in a muscle car... So i. Would say get a white 2009.
Bearach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #6

I agree with *nearly* everything that Flanders said, except for the "if you don't care about the horsepower difference go with the older model."

The 2010 is a markedly different-acting car than the 2011. Yes, if you get the Premium V6 coupe the creature comforts and the interior design share a lot of similarities. But under the hood, the 2011 is a totally different animal. Besides changing the engine, Ford also modified the suspension. They took some of the suspension goodies from the 2010 GT model and applied them to the 2011 V6 model, to compensate for the horsepower and torque gains.

The difference is a much more composed car, easier to control. When I rented a 2010 V6, it drove and slid and acted like an old-school Mustang - rather unrefined and fickle when pushed to its limits. The 2011 V6 is a lot easier to push to its limits. I like the suspension feedback much better.
nels is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion