Is it safe for me to sell my car if the buyer uses pay-pal to pay for it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Is it safe for me to sell my car if the buyer uses pay-pal to pay for it?

ok so I am selling my car and i have put a listing up on Craiglist. recently a guy sent me an email telling me that he was interested in the car. after i replied to that one he sent me another email stating that he wanted to buy the car. the only thing that worries me is that he wants to pay for it using pay-pal. is there anyway that I can be sure that I will have the money and not be getting scammed? i will attach the 2nd email below. thanks for taking your time to read this and help me out. if any body would be interested in buying a 1983 ford mustang GLX convertible for $2500 obo. send me an email at lil.drumrboy@yahoo.com

here is the 2nd email that he sent me:

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response, i'm interested in buying this item as a birthday gift for my dad and I am not home at this time as a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work locations and stations,phone calls hardly go through I would have loved to call but call is restricted si i will not be able to text you so am very sory for that, I have my shipper over there to see to thing working out perfectly,i really want the item to be a surprise gift for my dad so i won't let him know anything about the item until it get delivered to him in United kingdom, i am sure he will be more than happy with the item.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have online banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as I have my bank account attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to sign up, go on www.paypal.com and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.i have a shipper that will come and pick the item up after i have made the payment.I would really like to come to see the item, but like I said earlier my shipper will see to things if we eventually have it worked out and at the same time won't mind you sending me a couple of pictures so I can see more it's views
Are you the first owner of the item? Does the item have any mechanical disabilities presently? What is your reason for selling it? I'm sorry for questioning you, just want to be sure about the sale before i proceed.

Note: I will pay you $2,500.00 for the item.Get back to me with your
PayPal e-mail asap.

Good day,
just to know if your item is still available for sale and what are the
condition on it

what do you guys think?
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I would never do it. I do not trust paypal. esp for $2500 amount.
eifion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would be weary.. There are plenty more peeps in the world willing to buy your car

also if it smells like a turd , it prolly is one..
imported_cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

THAT'S A SCAM. do not do it, i got a very similar email when i sold my old beater a while back. just think about the scenario here: why would someone want to buy your car without even looking at it in person? how does he know what condition the car is in? why would someone even buy a car without driving it first? he doesn't even call it a car in the message, he refers to it as "the item". doesn't it strike you odd that he doesn't try to haggle the price down a bit? seriously, don't do this or else you'll be sorry.

if this guy is for real(which he's not), tell him you want cash only and you want to see him in person. how else would you transfer the title anyway? this is a complete scam.
Arend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if any body would be interested in buying a 1983 ford mustang GLX convertible for $2500 obo.
---

This is not the forum for that...classifieds are that way.

Anyway, a 1983 Mustang ain't worth $2500 unless it's a mint SVO, so this is obviously some spammer/scammer trying to send you a phony money order.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #6

Right off it sounds like a scam. The weird thing is that he's offering to pay you with PayPal. If you don't have a PayPal account then it's not even worth messing with.

But it's very, very strange. I'm gonna say it's a scam. Check Craigslist's scam section and see if it shows that one.
Gyles is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion