How hard is it to drive a mustang in the winter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How hard is it to drive a mustang in the winter?

I am planning on purchasing a 2012 Mustang GT 6 speed manual.

I am currently living in South east Michigan, and understand how terrible the winter can be. I plan on purchasing 4 snow tires and putting them on the Mustang.

Curious to know how bad rear wheel drive cars are in the winter? Also if equipping snow tires in the winter will make the difference?

I have driven Pontiac Bonneville in past winters and it has not given me any problem what so ever in the snow due to being front wheel drive and having good tires on it, but I am a little worried how rear wheel drive car will be in the winter.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2011 Shelby Mustang and i live in Southern California in Big Bear at the top, by big bear lake and i drive it when we have 5 feet of snow and it drives fine in it after the plow the roads and i have driven it in a foot of snow before they plowed it and it did great, but i am an experienced driver, i do baja racing....
if u are not an experienced driver, then i would say go with a F-150 4x4....
ighneachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #3

I have a mustang also and its pretty hard to drive in the winter. I have rear wheel drive and its hard to get out of my drive-way. Im a teen and my parents think its dangerous so I normally drive a different vehicle in the winter. I live in Ohio. I imagine the snow tires would help but not a huge amount! Be safe! Hope this helped.
stefon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Trust me bud they are terrible in the winter all they do is sit and spin tires.. You will want either and front wheel drive car, a small car or if you get something longer it will need to be 4x4
corren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I would also recommend also budgeting for another vehicle w/ 4 wheel drive

mustangs SUCK in heavy rain/snow
templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it is pretty hard to dive a mustang in the snow, I recommend getting a truck with 4 wheel drive.
zachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have lived in Saskatchewan, Canada for all my 42 years and can honestly say that front-wheel drive cars "can" be better in some instances. That being said we have driven only rear drive cars and trucks for as long as I have been driving. The tires make all the difference in the world for winter driving.

Braking and basic (not on the gas) handling does not care if its front drive or rear drive. You can not accelerate as fast with RWD in the really slippery roads, but neither should you be. FWD has trained a lot of drivers in poor driving habits.

Modern vehicles with all the safeties built in, anti-lock brakes, traction control and electronic stability control has made driving in the winter almost to easy. Its to easy to over-drive the road conditions and get into trouble.

Todd
imported_daman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion