Should I/Shouldn't I ? GT 500 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Should I/Shouldn't I ? GT 500

ford racing and borla are the same for the gt mustangs so im sure they are for yours as well. My friend just picked up a set of ford racing "borla" mufflers (little round mufflers) and they are just like the borlas. They cost him 400 all said and done.

I would defiantly buy some mufflers, listen to sound clips, dont go to mild as axle back mufflers dont make as much of a difference as the pre 05 mustangs
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #37

Problem with testing driving cars is the guy who really wants to buy it doesn't want it with 200 miles on it. Let's face it if 20 guys go to the dealership and test drive that GT500 it will have a hundred plus miles on it. Plus all the plastic will be ripped or removed. Lot of guys are collectors and they want mint and unused.
The GT500 is a relatively limited production. Under 60k cars made. Granted a truly limited would be under 5k made, but still they are not exactly a dime a dozen.

So yeah I actually agree with the dealer. No test drives. Same applies to the Ford GT, Vipers and ZR1 Corvette's. Seriously for every 1 actually buyer you get 500 people with no intention of buying that just want to drive a high end car.
Zan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine

found it interesting that you mention bad paint on gas cover. Lucky it's white, or
you might have found more. On my new black ragtop, have found 5 bad places in paint.
range from size of a quarter to about 3"X2". Before you all start kicking my *** for
not seeing at dealers, so far no one but me has noticed them. He to have light shining
on them just right. Was my 3rd time washing before I caught first one. They all seem
to be under the clearcoat, as they are smooth on top. Dealer wants to try to buff
out, but don't know if I should or not. I asked him if these clowns don't realize. it
was crap lick this that sent people to Honda's, and Toyota's. Also to the *******
who thinks only idiots would buy a new GT500, it's my money, and I can spend
it how I see fit. No law against it yet.
larry a gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Larry:

I don' know where you are getting your stats from, I seriously doubt that high end cars get 500 tyre kickers to very serious buyer, neither do I believe that anybody would have the cheek to take a GT500 for a test drive & return wth parts ripped off, an accompanied drive would anyway prevent that. Any car salesman worth his salt should have sufficient closing questions in his armoury to be able to reasonably test whether a punter is a serious buyer or not it's not that difficult. I do however take your point nobody especially with a relatively sort after car wants to buy with high test drive mileage on it , including me.

Interesting comments on the paintwork, I washed mine meticuously yesterday & found further imperfections, small BUT there,other than paint blemishes also found seal around one of the rear light clusters protruding , cannot be pushed back & think cluster would have to be removed or eased to refit so dealer will have to fix + sound insulation material protruding from driver side front end of hood- , they still cannot tell me why my steering wheel is different to all other GT500's I looked @ say waiting on answer from Ford it's taken two weeks so far, seems unreasonable to me.Incidentally I have a pal who sells Bentleys, Masseratti's & Lamborgihinis, & all his potential clients get a test drive if they desire, so Bloody Ford should get with the program.
English Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Larry, Also meant to say would not let them buff out imperfections, sure you paid good money for your 500, you should get proper value for your investment & correct retification for their errors, longer you leave it more difficult it will be to receive satisfaction. You are right on about the **** who says only an idiot would buy a new 500, bollocks to him, it;s what I wanted & you too, & I am no idiot.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan186 View Post
Problem with testing driving cars is the guy who really wants to buy it doesn't want it with 200 miles on it. Let's face it if 20 guys go to the dealership and test drive that GT500 it will have a hundred plus miles on it. Plus all the plastic will be ripped or removed. Lot of guys are collectors and they want mint and unused.
The GT500 is a relatively limited production. Under 60k cars made. Granted a truly limited would be under 5k made, but still they are not exactly a dime a dozen.

So yeah I actually agree with the dealer. No test drives. Same applies to the Ford GT, Vipers and ZR1 Corvette's. Seriously for every 1 actually buyer you get 500 people with no intention of buying that just want to drive a high end car.
you are correct that most miles makes it harder to sell, no doubt about it. The gt500 is NOT a limited production car by any means at all what so ever. They will make as many as they can sell. Limited means a certian number are made and thats it, like 1000 units and no more etc. The gt500 is just being made to meet demand.

I wouldnt buy one without driving it period~ so thats the pickle you get in. I probably wont buy a new one anyway~ I can find plenty of people with brand new ones (as far as condition) with super low miles that they purchased and paid over for and now want to sell... i can save a ton and get a perfect car.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Paul View Post
Larry:

I don' know where you are getting your stats from, I seriously doubt that high end cars get 500 tyre kickers to very serious buyer, neither do I believe that anybody would have the cheek to take a GT500 for a test drive & return wth parts ripped off, an accompanied drive would anyway prevent that. Any car salesman worth his salt should have sufficient closing questions in his armoury to be able to reasonably test whether a punter is a serious buyer or not it's not that difficult. I do however take your point nobody especially with a relatively sort after car wants to buy with high test drive mileage on it , including me.

Interesting comments on the paintwork, I washed mine meticuously yesterday & found further imperfections, small BUT there,other than paint blemishes also found seal around one of the rear light clusters protruding , cannot be pushed back & think cluster would have to be removed or eased to refit so dealer will have to fix + sound insulation material protruding from driver side front end of hood- , they still cannot tell me why my steering wheel is different to all other GT500's I looked @ say waiting on answer from Ford it's taken two weeks so far, seems unreasonable to me.Incidentally I have a pal who sells Bentleys, Masseratti's & Lamborgihinis, & all his potential clients get a test drive if they desire, so Bloody Ford should get with the program.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

E. Paul, I'm not sure what you mean by first part of #39 ans. I never had any problem
getting a test drive, in fact the sales rep, said lets put the top down, and try here out.
Went for about a 10 mile ride. Took it up to 100, before we came back to dealership.
maybe it was because I bought 3 new cars in 14 months. (including 500). I think you
are right on buffing, am seriously thinking about canceling appointment. So far, nobody
has noticed them other than me. And 1 on hood, I can very rarely see it. Hope you
enjoy yours as much as I am with mine. It may be rarer than a normal one, with the
red stripe package on a ragtop, but I'm to f---king old to have it as a trailer queen.
I am going to store it for winter. Maine winters can be harsh. It would be a hoot
though, trying to drive it in a blizzard.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Larry: Well the time has come to accept that I really am an old F----r, since the first part of my response was in fact intended for "Zan 186", but must have had my specs on upside down & screwed up apologies to you & hope you are reading this "Zan", whatever kind of name that is !

You know what Larry the trouble with the blemishes is that although no one else has noticed them YOU know they are there and you sound somewhat like me a perfectionist & it will drive you mad.,still would not allow the buffing route. I put wing mirror inserts on mine over the weekend and got one about 1mm out of alignment, my wife could not spot it no one could BUT I know it's not 100% right & spent many trips in & out of the garage convincing myself it was unoticeable - I'm just simply pathetic. Yes I am just loving mine, winters here can be dodgy and the Shelby WILL NOT be going out in any slush & snow, my drive is like a 1 in 2 incline my old GT slithered on a wet leaf covered surface so with the extra torque won't even attempt it, have a 4 wheeler for the grunt work. Enjoy let me know of any other Shelby moments you have & certainly any other issues to look out for.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Winter in St. louis aint that bad. Ive only been stuck about 5 times last winter. Thats not bad at all.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

If you are looking for a loud musclecar sound then go with the FRPP bolt on axle back mufflers. DO NOT let anyone weld on your exhaust as there are way too many bolt on style mufflers that will give you an awesome sound. The JBA's sound good but not quite as loud as the Ford Racing or Borlas.We have a gt500 customer with Magnaflow on his car and they sound ok but not very loud and not very much better then stock.
Benjytps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

i <3 my borlas especially since the mufflers are breaking in some, and its getting louder and blatt-e-er
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Benjytps:

Not going with weld on for certain, talking with local Mustang tuner/shop about Bassani or Borla axle back bolt on's, I think Borla brand for Ford racing & are the same thing may be wrong. Waiting on price & will visit shop this week, trying to keep price down ! What did you pay Cajun ?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

they are pretty much the same muffler and you will not be disappointed in either one.Do a little research into your tuner/shop before you bring it to them and make sure they are reputable and honest.Ask your local Mustang enthusiasts which shops they use and compare prices,reputations so you get the most quality service you can.Good Luck and post some pics when you get some time, im sure everyone would like to see your car.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the borlas/ford racing mufflers on my 03 are about 30% louder than they are on the 05+ gt's~ but the sound is still nice.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #51
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

i paid 118 a piece for mufflers, and 135 for my offroad x pipe.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #52

Quote:
Larry: Well the time has come to accept that I really am an old F----r, since the first part of my response was in fact intended for "Zan 186", but must have had my specs on upside down & screwed up apologies to you & hope you are reading this "Zan", whatever kind of name that is !

You know what Larry the trouble with the blemishes is that although no one else has noticed them YOU know they are there and you sound somewhat like me a perfectionist & it will drive you mad.,still would not allow the buffing route. I put wing mirror inserts on mine over the weekend and got one about 1mm out of alignment, my wife could not spot it no one could BUT I know it's not 100% right & spent many trips in & out of the garage convincing myself it was unoticeable - I'm just simply pathetic. Yes I am just loving mine, winters here can be dodgy and the Shelby WILL NOT be going out in any slush & snow, my drive is like a 1 in 2 incline my old GT slithered on a wet leaf covered surface so with the extra torque won't even attempt it, have a 4 wheeler for the grunt work. Enjoy let me know of any other Shelby moments you have & certainly any other issues to look out for.
umm, I don't know which part you are trying to debate as you are a bit all over the place with what you say.

As a Car collector/enthuisiast I do my homework and I get a pretty good idea about any car I am interested in.
The GT500 is a limited production car. Not in the same realm as a Ford GT (3500 units) or a Viper GTS (11,000 units) but at 30,000 units that is not a whole lot of cars. When you compare that to the base model of close to 500,000 units.

As for test drives, all high end cars at the dealership are sought after. Yes there are in fact tons of people who just like to test drive a car who in reality have no desire to actually buy it. How is the dealer to know?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

^^ But thats what makes people not buy cars. Sorry if i cant test drive a car i 100% will not buy that car.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
^^ But thats what makes people not buy cars. Sorry if i cant test drive a car i 100% will not buy that car.
lol, and guess what the dealership doesnt care because the people with big money are the one's who will buy the car without test driving it.

When it comes down to domestic cars you have a point, but we are talking about exotic or high end sports cars.
If you went to a Ford dealership and asked to test a Ford GT back in 2005 they would of laughed at you.

Recently if you wanted to test drive a GT500 they would of said try the GT if you like the GT you will like the GT500.

I understand where you are coming from but your thought process is for domestic's. You obviously have not purchased a new exotic car.

Buying a used car from a private owner, they might take you for a ride in it if they feel you are serious, but they aren't going to hand over the keys for a 50k to 250k vehicle for you to bang around in, then decide you need more time to think about it.

But hey good luck with test driving exotics. I know for a fact that if someone "test" drives an exotic and then doesn't buy it, the value of that exotic just went down. How many miles on a car before it is considered used.
I give the dealership 15 miles on the car. After that I want a discount as the car has been driven.

Most guys that bought their GT500's wanted the car still wrapped in plastic. You can't testdrive while it is still wrapped.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

I took delivery of my 08 ragtop with 14 miles on it. I put 8 on it with a test drive
with top down. All of the plastic was still on it, they asked if I wanted left on, and
I said no way. I'm buying this to drive. What's the point of storing it in a garage?
These are not one of cars. Granted they will be worth more than regular Mustangs
in the future, but these are not like one of 71 Hemi Cuda convertibles. Mine
may be worth a little more because it's a red stripe package black convert.,
but the enjoyment I've had driving it is priceless. have had it 23 days, and had
top down 21 of them. Makes a lot more sense to me, than sticking in a garage,
and wondering what it would be like to drive it. Life is way to short. If you
kick off tomorrow, and did'nt drive it, someone else probably will.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry a gray View Post
I took delivery of my 08 ragtop with 14 miles on it. I put 8 on it with a test drive
with top down. All of the plastic was still on it, they asked if I wanted left on, and
I said no way. I'm buying this to drive. What's the point of storing it in a garage?
These are not one of cars. Granted they will be worth more than regular Mustangs
in the future, but these are not like one of 71 Hemi Cuda convertibles. Mine
may be worth a little more because it's a red stripe package black convert.,
but the enjoyment I've had driving it is priceless. have had it 23 days, and had
top down 21 of them. Makes a lot more sense to me, than sticking in a garage,
and wondering what it would be like to drive it. Life is way to short. If you
kick off tomorrow, and did'nt drive it, someone else probably will.

You ordered one, hence you put a deposit down to buy. That is much different than walking in to test drive a vehicle. There are always some exceptions but I bet 95% of the dealers would not let anyone just test drive a GT500.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I did not order this car. It had been at the dealer 2 days when I bought it.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

dealers make to much markup (or did) on the gt500 to let someone wreck one and they loose out on all that stupid markup they still get.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe, but they still let me try it out, with the top down.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Zan186:

The reason to quote you "I was all over the place" ( Your comments #52) is because as previously explained I intended to respond to your initial comments on test drives & because I am mentally challenged accidentally responded instead to a thread from Larry ( This of course confused him also ) ok enough said.

Seems I have created a fair controversy on the test drive issue, fully understand what you are saying Zan, but still cannot wholly agree, & since I am not a domestic animal & have test driven some exotica in my continent of origin (Europe), seems the rules of engagement may be very different over here.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

For those that may be interested ( See my post #16), I have now got to the bottom of the "odd" steering wheel in my new Shelby. Dealer came back yesterday & informed me that SVT had accidentally put a wheel on that belonged to a "Special Edition" breast cancer supporting Mustang that comes in pink with some sort of painted on ribbon with part of proceeds going to a breast cancer charity. Seems that vehicle runs down the same line as the Shelby when fitting wheel & some dingbat made the error @ that time.
Well I applaud the charity , but am astonished that such an error could be made with a so called limited edition prestige vehicle, & as pointed out to dealer makes me wonder what other errors may be discovered once I get more familiar with my car.

He tells me that they have rush ordered a replacement & proper wheel , when asked what lead time was , he said "Don't know could be 3 days could be 30 days", I then corrected his attitude/response & feel confident the wheel will now be here in days !. This dealer claims to have sold 8 Shelby's but did not spot the error fortunately I did from the get go. It's taken them almost three weeks to get a definitive response from Ford. I thought poncy pink stiching on an all aluminum wheel looked dodgy,they tried to suggest that it may be a limited edition & I may resultingly be a very fortunate punter !!!
Old 07-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I think I got a couple of pics of my 08 GT500 Black, redstripe ragtop.
Took a couple tries. Am almost coumputer illeterate. Hope they came
through, just to show that some convs. were made with stripes
Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Larry better brush up on your computer skills !!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

hey english paul, i was talking to a friend of mine that has a very big collection of older mustangs, he was explaining that assembly errors such as yours with the different steering wheel may actually benefit the collector status of your car.Just a thought before you let them change it out.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Larry better brush up on your computer skills !!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

E.P. Paul McCartney's famous song, when I'm 64, was my birthday song
last month, so that's my excuse. If you mean the pics. they are in the
view albums section.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Talking Re: Should I/Shouldn't I ? GT 500

Larry my mistake - will take a look, gosh you are even older than me ! (59 next birthday)
Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Your only as old as you feel, and this car takes me back to about
39. Also love cranking the shaker 1000 with heavy music.
(My friends hate it). Just did my first MPG road trial. Over a
span of 120 miles, avg. 19 1/4 MPG crusing basically 60 MPH
in 6th, With Gov't Mule & Metallica blasting out the speakers
with top down. Have 1100 miles on it now. Meant to ask you
if you had sunvisor sent to Carrol Shelby to be autographed?
The dealer told me it could be done for $250, I told him I wanted
it, but they were paying. No problem. Getting it installed
Mon. They said it's done in silver, and has vin# on it to.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Larry:

Well my car just "takes me back", can't be definitive about age , since I have always felt as though I never left my 20's, I just can't believe I am the age I am, what the hell happened to all those intervening years, but 29 years of marriage & two kids later they just disappeared !!!.

I am a blues & soul man @ heart, stuck in a 60's time warp, yeh I can dig Metallica, don't know Gov't Mule, love anything on an old Stax / Motown label, but groove also to Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Big Bill Bronzie,but got to tell you that I think Nervana are the coolest sound to hit the scene for many a year, shame they ended the way they did. Whatever I have on in the shelby via my shaker 1000 will trust me be @ 1 trillion Dba.( Screw any friend in tow )

Autographed sun visor sounds very cool, may be pushing my luck to get dealer to pay for, they are supplying & fitting Bassani axle back system for me next week @ cost to make up for steering wheel fiasco, so may be a bridge to far to ask. I know you can get a Shelby signed type of label for engine mount & dash, which displays Date of Birth & other info for less money, will try to find web site if you are interested. I have only 400 miles on mine, been traveling ( Plane), giving it a blast this week end, on short trips I'm getting 14.5 to 15.5 mpg
Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #70
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

I've been reading this thread and LMFAO !!!!! IMO only a fool buys a car without a test drive, don't care if it a junker or top of the line car

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion