Base 13 V6 or Base 13 5.0 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokeGT View Post
The 5.0 is very affordable when you compare it to the competition. I priced a Camaro SS w/ the same options as my car and it was about 4K more, the same goes for the Challenger R/T. You can not find another production car pushing over 400HP for a better price than you will buy a GT.
Agreed.

For myself, however; I was talking about domestic cars priced against imports. Not domestics against other domestics.

The Camero has IRS. Which, Ford keeps telling us, is the 5 grand savings we have on the Mustang thanks to the LRA.

So, there's that right off the mark.
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokeGT View Post

The 5.0 is very affordable when you compare it to the competition. I priced a Camaro SS w/ the same options as my car and it was about 4K more, the same goes for the Challenger R/T. You can not find another production car pushing over 400HP for a better price than you will buy a GT.
The mustang may be less than the other 400 HP cars which only means those other cars are way overpriced. If the base V6 model is selling for around 22k there is no way the base V8 should be 7k more. That's just crazy for that price the 5.0 should be coming with leather seats, trac pack, back up camera or something for the 7500 extra.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

The mustang may be less than the other 400 HP cars which only means those other cars are way overpriced. If the base V6 model is selling for around 22k there is no way the base V8 should be 7k more. That's just crazy for that price the 5.0 should be coming with leather seats, trac pack, back up camera or something for the 7500 extra.
Okay so anyone can get a 28k-29k mustang gt base and for a mustang v6 premium your paying about 26k-27k so it really depends what you want, do you want all the goodies the premium v6 gives or a base v8 gt? Honestly I would take the v8 base over the premium, it's anyone's choice between those two.... I think for a base 28k gt is a steal because you won't see other competitors that has 420+ hp at that price
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so anyone can get a 28k-29k mustang gt base and for a mustang v6 premium your paying about 26k-27k so it really depends what you want, do you want all the goodies the premium v6 gives or a base v8 gt? Honestly I would take the v8 base over the premium, it's anyone's choice between those two.... I think for a base 28k gt is a steal because you won't see other competitors that has 420+ hp at that price[/QUOTE]

If your comparing the 5.0 to its competition the Camaro SS and Challenger V8 then yes the mustang is less money. The 5.0 is freaking awesome and I love it as I'm sure all on here love the 5.0. All that means is the other cars are way over priced because a base Camaro is around 23k and the Base SS is around 32k. 9k more for the base V8 over the V6, highway robbery and thats nuts.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Ever wonder how much it costs exactly to make each car? I'd like to know, labor and all how much it costs them to produce each model.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Ever wonder how much it costs exactly to make each car? I'd like to know, labor and all how much it costs them to produce each model.
For real. Would love to know what the actual cost of the production of the V6 and V8. I can assure you its no where close to 29k. Not even close. What ever the cost is, the V8 does not cost that much more to produce than a v6 model. The labor costs are the same to assemble either car. The worker gets paid the same to put on a Gt grill or v6 grill. It costs the same to put on either set of tires whether they are 17 in or 20 inch. The 18 inch may cost Ford Corporation 30 bucks more a tire but there buying tires in huge huge huge bulk. It's rubber. I can buy my v6 stock tires on tire rack for 80 bucks a piece. How much you really think Ford pays for the same tire when there ordering 35,000 4 set of tires. Way less than 80 bucks.

There is no way the 5.0 and all it's performance upgrades over the v6 is costing the Ford Corporation 7,500 k more than the v6
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's why it's called making profit for every vehicle they sell so of course they are going to sell them a lot more than what it cost them to make the car
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
Yeah that's why it's called making profit for every vehicle they sell so of course they are going to sell them a lot more than what it cost them to make the car
Nothing wrong with making a profit. I'm all for Ford making a profit. I love Ford and the quality of there vehicles. I just think the 5.0 is overpriced. Ford can still make a nice profit even lowing the price of the 5.0.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nothing wrong with making a profit. I'm all for Ford making a profit. I love Ford and the quality of there vehicles. I just think the 5.0 is overpriced. Ford can still make a nice profit even lowing the price of the 5.0.
I agree with you they should lower the prices of the gt but I don't mind as I plan on buying one in about 4 months as far as ford is going I think they are making way better cars than any other competitor for the price
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Please tell me your taking in to account the cost of R&D, advertising, union payouts, etc....

Sure the total of the parts is probably less than what they are selling the 5.0 and 3.7 for, but don't forget all the other bills

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I mean consider the price difference and think of the mods you'd have on top of your now fully loaded v6. that's a couple grand toward intake exhaust etc. unless I was going to really push the envelope with hp I'd take the features not that I wouldn't love a fully loaded 5.0 though haha
Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
The price isn't that bad for the power you get in a 5.0. I love ford to make a profit so they can keep making mustangs and make them better. I don't really know not one car that has 420 hp and that's right at 30k brand new. I don't look at the mustang gt to be to expensive I look at the v6 to be one hell of a bargain for what you get. But sorry v6 guys 5.0 all the way!
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
The price isn't that bad for the power you get in a 5.0. I love ford to make a profit so they can keep making mustangs and make them better. I don't really know not one car that has 420 hp and that's right at 30k brand new. I don't look at the mustang gt to be to expensive I look at the v6 to be one hell of a bargain for what you get. But sorry v6 guys 5.0 all the way!
No denying the 5.0 is awesome and one powerful vehicle. If the 5.0 was 3500k less for the base, I would of pulled the trigger on it. Certainly, most people have no real need for a 400 plus HP car that's used for a street driven vehicle but none the less, cool to have one. It was cool at 3500k more price over the sixer but not cool enough to pay double that price.

Not only is it 7500k more but really needs at least 3k bolt on mods to boot.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Which would you rather have? A fully optioned out base V6 or bare bones base 5.0. For around 27k you can get a fully optioned out V6 including, Tech package, Recardo cloth seats, rear back up camera and performance package. For around 29K, a base 5.0 with not one extra. Heck you don't even get power seats for 29k!
This was my dilemma as well. I opted for the V6. I don't track my car now so 300+ hp is more then enough on public roads. 400+ is just overkill really.. I would like to start doing a little autox here and there and a road course sounds like it'd be a blast. Drag racing bores me.. So for a beginner the V6 may be the better choice to learn on. But for now, just street driving so the V6 is plenty fine.

Having more "luxurious" was important to me. Again, just a street car so having leather, ambient lighting, heated seats, etc, was more important then power. Leather is really a must for me as I hate cloth and so does my GF. The premium V6 was also cheaper then a base GT which would save me a few bucks for mods. Appearance was probably my most important factor in a new car.

Buying a base GT wouldn't leave me any money for mods. And imo, a factory mustang is pretty dull and boring and doesn't really appeal to me. Lowering and new wheels were my first and favourite mods. Changed the whole look of the car from a boring mustang to something different and better. New wing, quad tipped exhaust, raxiom head and taillights really gave my car a unique look. I made it mine. The exhaust made the car "come alive". Does it sound like a V8? No, and I wasn't trying to. But I think it sounds just as good if not better but in a different way.

A few little things done here and there really gave my car a clean custom look. And with everything done I've spent probably just a tad above a base GT. It's got enough power for me, a very nice interior, looks better then 99% of other stangs on the road (IMO), and I get loads of looks and compliments. For me, it's just about perfect. Only gripes would be the solid rear axle and no paddles which hopefully the 2015 gets.

Sorry for the long message but just wanted to throw in the reasons for my decision. Hope to help.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post

This was my dilemma as well. I opted for the V6. I don't track my car now so 300+ hp is more then enough on public roads. 400+ is just overkill really.. I would like to start doing a little autox here and there and a road course sounds like it'd be a blast. Drag racing bores me.. So for a beginner the V6 may be the better choice to learn on. But for now, just street driving so the V6 is plenty fine.

Having more "luxurious" was important to me. Again, just a street car so having leather, ambient lighting, heated seats, etc, was more important then power. Leather is really a must for me as I hate cloth and so does my GF. The premium V6 was also cheaper then a base GT which would save me a few bucks for mods. Appearance was probably my most important factor in a new car.

Buying a base GT wouldn't leave me any money for mods. And imo, a factory mustang is pretty dull and boring and doesn't really appeal to me. Lowering and new wheels were my first and favourite mods. Changed the whole look of the car from a boring mustang to something different and better. New wing, quad tipped exhaust, raxiom head and taillights really gave my car a unique look. I made it mine. The exhaust made the car "come alive". Does it sound like a V8? No, and I wasn't trying to. But I think it sounds just as good if not better but in a different way.

A few little things done here and there really gave my car a clean custom look. And with everything done I've spent probably just a tad above a base GT. It's got enough power for me, a very nice interior, looks better then 99% of other stangs on the road (IMO), and I get loads of looks and compliments. For me, it's just about perfect. Only gripes would be the solid rear axle and no paddles which hopefully the 2015 gets.

Sorry for the long message but just wanted to throw in the reasons for my decision. Hope to help.
I hear ya brother. Your ride sounds awesome, any pictures you can post. Would love to see exterior mods. Would love to see the quad exhaust. That's awesome how you really customized your pony to make it stand out. Whether you get a 5.0 or 3.7, both cars look the same and personally I'm not a fan of the fog lights on the 5.0. I really like the front grill on the 3.7 much better.

Nothing like having your ride stand out from the average mustang on the road. That's why the Boss and Gt500 stand out because of all the sweet a$$ graphics, spoiler, ground effect kits. Besides the power, its the look you don't always see.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I hear you on the fog light that's why I did this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4162074083.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	550.3 KB
ID:	95022   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-942665215.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	550.3 KB
ID:	95023  

Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry about the extra pic don't know why it did that.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear you on the fog light that's why I did this
Bro, love the headlights and pony on the grill. That's so freaking Boss looking and I it. Really stands out. Any pics if the rear for the quad exhaust?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bro, love the headlights and pony on the grill. That's so freaking Boss looking and I it. Really stands out. Any pics if the rear for the quad exhaust?
I don't have quad exhaust thanks though man it was like 200 hundred for the top,bottom grille and emblem.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I hear ya brother. Your ride sounds awesome, any pictures you can post. Would love to see exterior mods. Would love to see the quad exhaust. That's awesome how you really customized your pony to make it stand out. Whether you get a 5.0 or 3.7, both cars look the same and personally I'm not a fan of the fog lights on the 5.0. I really like the front grill on the 3.7 much better.

Nothing like having your ride stand out from the average mustang on the road. That's why the Boss and Gt500 stand out because of all the sweet a$$ graphics, spoiler, ground effect kits. Besides the power, its the look you don't always see.
Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-739279525.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	95042   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1779495927.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	95043  

Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Oh mines a 12 not a 13 but hey, almost the same lol. Should've mentioned that before. Same difference though right?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh mines a 12 not a 13 but hey, almost the same lol. Should've mentioned that before. Same difference though right?
Nice stang!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice stang!
Love the quad exhaust. Love the color. Freaking awesome.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys!^^
Old 03-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys!^^
Is it a v6?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is it a v6?
Yes
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes
Oh danggg! That makes it even more bad a**. That is borla right what else do you have for exhaust. When I first seen it I thought it was a 5.0 then I saw it again and noticed. What else you got on that beast?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh danggg! That makes it even more bad a**. That is borla right what else do you have for exhaust. When I first seen it I thought it was a 5.0 then I saw it again and noticed. What else you got on that beast?
The exhaust is Magnaflow. Just axle-backs. And not too much else really. Full suspension and tuned by Steeda is the only things on it you can't see. I'm not trying to overdo it. Just want a clean looking ride. Thanks again for the compliment though! If I keep my car, a catted X, 3.73 gears and new wheels are probably the only things I want.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
back to what yall were talking about before...

The 5.0 is priced the way it is becuase of all the millions ford spent in R&D... that brand new 5.0 may cost not so much more to build than the v6, but i bet you it damn sure cost ford millions upon millions more to devlop it...

But it really is not that expensive when compared to other cars in its category, SS, R/t....

But the time and research that went into that motor is what you are paying for.
DigitalBman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalBman View Post
back to what yall were talking about before...

The 5.0 is priced the way it is becuase of all the millions ford spent in R&D... that brand new 5.0 may cost not so much more to build than the v6, but i bet you it damn sure cost ford millions upon millions more to devlop it...

But it really is not that expensive when compared to other cars in its category, SS, R/t....

But the time and research that went into that motor is what you are paying for.
There is no way Ford spent millions and millions of dollars more on research in creating the coyote engine over the 3.7 engine. The 3.7 engine used in the 11 plus models was a new engine they wanted to produce achieving 31mpg. I'm sure Ford spent plenty of time designing that engine and build off of that for the coyote engine. Sure, it costs money for research but the 3.7 engine research ain't cheaper. Ford engineers were working on both engines. That 3.7 engine isn't the same engine being used for the past 10 years. Like the 5.0 coyote engine, the 3.7 was all new technology
Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

There is no way Ford spent millions and millions of dollars more on research in creating the coyote engine over the 3.7 engine. The 3.7 engine used in the 11 plus models was a new engine they wanted to produce achieving 31mpg. I'm sure Ford spent plenty of time designing that engine and build off of that for the coyote engine. Sure, it costs money for research but the 3.7 engine research ain't cheaper. Ford engineers were working on both engines. That 3.7 engine isn't the same engine being used for the past 10 years. Like the 5.0 coyote engine, the 3.7 was all new technology
False. The 5.0 coyote is different from the old 5.0 by far.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Get the 5.0 and be done. Much more to work with than the V6.....IMO.
2L8ULUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

False. The 5.0 coyote is different from the old 5.0 by far.
I agree. I thought I said that. The coyote engine is new technology like the 3.7 is. I just don't think the research costs millions and millions more than the research spent of making the 3.7 engine. There both highly advanced engines with great fuel mpg accomplishments
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #69
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

The 3.7 is really just an evolution of the 3.5 duratec, and yea they were able to squeeze some extra ponies out of the motor and keep the mpgs up but ford did not have to create a whole new motor for the cyclone. The cyclone motor is leaps and bounds ahead of the 40 year old cologne 4.0 motors but its still not new and revolutionary.

The 5.0 on the other hand was developed by many race engineers and while is somewhat related to the modular 4.6, it really is a totally new motor. Aside from the bore spacing, they share little to nothing at all. The 5.0 is a little "futuristic" and has actually been designed with future improvements in mind. Ford created an entirely new power plant with the coyote, and they did it in just 2 years I believe, which is a very short amount of time for R&D

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion