Base 13 V6 or Base 13 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Which would you rather have? A fully optioned out base V6 or bare bones base 5.0. For around 27k you can get a fully optioned out V6 including, Tech package, Recardo cloth seats, rear back up camera and performance package. For around 29K, a base 5.0 with not one extra. Heck you don't even get power seats for 29k!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Depends if you need all that stuff.. I would rather have the 5.0
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Which would you rather have? A fully optioned out base V6 or bare bones base 5.0. For around 27k you can get a fully optioned out V6 including, Tech package, Recardo cloth seats, rear back up camera and performance package. For around 29K, a base 5.0 with not one extra. Heck you don't even get power seats for 29k!
If I could afford the insurance I'd go 5.0 and that's also if I could afford gas... For now ill keep the v6 till I am 25... Hopefully the don't mess up the mustang ... I love the 13as and 14s if anything I'm going to have to keep my 13
Aruiz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I am firm believer that what is under the hood is more important than pretty interior lights and camera. Also, I do not believe the Recaros are electronic, mine aren't. Couldn't care less about electronic seats.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I agree with kargt13 I prefer to have a base gt than a premium v6 just hearing that v8 engine is music to my ears(: but it really depends on what you really into
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
I am firm believer that what is under the hood is more important than pretty interior lights and camera. Also, I do not believe the Recaros are electronic, mine aren't. Couldn't care less about electronic seats.
There not electronic in the base model.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There not electronic in the base model.
In.the 13's they are

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

The regular seats in the 13s are
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
No, all base model '13s have manual seats unless you have the tech package (or a Premium), comfort gets you power p/s.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Tbh, i prefer manual seats and would rather have manual door locks and windows. Cuz with manual you would never have to worry bout them now working

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

So id go with a bare bones 5.0 engine is all i care about
Termi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Is this even a debate? 5.0 all the way!!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Depends on if it is my DD or not. Either way, i would probably spend the extra cash and get a fully optioned 5.0.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Depends on the budget...

If just making the payments put me to the limit; I'd opt for the V6. Why? Because as a DD, you may find you want some of the ammenities. Still, I'd have to have the stick as I hate slushboxes....

However...

If I could handle the payments and still had money to throw at bolt-ons and mods, then the 5.0 wins of course. You'd start with two more cylinders, more HP and walk away, in the end, with a considerably better "drivers" car.

That said, the new V6 is balls to the wall awesome. That said, I haven't owned a 5.0L since my 88 GT. That said, the gas bill is going to be quite a bit higher. That said, who cares?!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
GT.

You can add Recaro's down the road for around $1K. Same applies to upgrading the stereo and etc. I have a fully optioned Honda Accord sitting in my garage and I've used the Navigation three times in the year I have owned the car.

If you get the V6 car you're going to kick yourself in the *** a couple months down the road when you want more power and realize it's going to cost you either $10K+ for a power train swap or $10K+ to trade in your car for the car you should have bought in the first place.
SlowPokeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokeGT View Post
GT.

You can add Recaro's down the road for around $1K. Same applies to upgrading the stereo and etc. I have a fully optioned Honda Accord sitting in my garage and I've used the Navigation three times in the year I have owned the car.

If you get the V6 car you're going to kick yourself in the *** a couple months down the road when you want more power and realize it's going to cost you either $10K+ for a power train swap or $10K+ to trade in your car for the car you should have bought in the first place.
That assumes all you want is moar powaaa, though. It utterly fails to realize that a lot of guys bought the 3.7L V6 because it comes with 300 RWHP which is plenty in MOST daily drivers. Not everyone wants a track or strip monster, some people actually want moderately powerful daily drivers.

If that were the case, there'd be no V6.

Regardless, either option is good and various people have various tastes and needs.

That said, I have a friend who owns a 13 V6 and he has never, ever expressed a desire to kick himself for not getting the GT. He's a happy camper, loves his car, and wouldn't trade it for two more cylinders.

I get what you're saying, I just hope you get what I'm saying, too.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I don't need leather, I don't care for sound systems, sync, digital climate, nav, lcds, electric seats, etc.

I have a base V6, I'd be more than happy with a base GT if I could afford. I got my car for performance and fun, not a luxury mobile.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
GT.

You can add Recaro's down the road for around $1K.
More like $2.5k. Even eBay hasn't had a set yet under that. I agree with what you're saying, though.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I struggled with this myself for the longest time. Knowing I planned on autocross and track time, I opted for the base 5.0. I also know I always would have been thinking "I could've had a V8." I haven't regretted it for a moment. The car is pretty well appointed as it is anyway. The only options I have are Sync (tech package), Recaros, Brembos, and 3.73. I didn't want leather, Ford MyTouch, nav, or the upgrade stereo. With that, after sitting in some premium cars the only difference I could see was quilted door panels and a different shift boot.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think the base 5.0 does come with power seats yet again I could be wrong. But from my experience I drove a 2013 v6 for a week out in Arizona. It was a nice fun car in the twisty mountains and such, and it had a decent amount of power, it also had outstanding fuel mileage I was getting about 27 90% of the time with a heavy foot. Some of the cons about that car- alot of body roll, not the best gear ratios. It was all around great car. That being said I bought a 2013 5.0 track pack with 2500 miles on it in December a week before Christmas and man what a machine. First off this is my first car and mustang so please excuse my biasness due to I'm still drooling over the car. The 5.0 engine vs the v6 is HUGE the 5.0 throws you back into the seat when you hit the gas in 1-4. There is just so much of a difference ford really did a great job on the 5.0. Some other differences is the suspension is a little different, the brakes are outstanding. I only have one complaint so far that is the transmission. The shifting is just hard and rough between 1-4 I'm going to get my transmission fluid changed soon I read that it may help a bit. Other then that I love the Car. Now you basicly have 2 options you can go for a nice luxury v6 with everything or a base model v8 ( you should really go for 3.73 gears a nice cheep option) also if you get the v6 I would go for an auto because you actually get better 0-60 with an auto. But don't worry witch either one you buy you will like.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

I think the base 5.0 does come with power seats yet again I could be wrong. But from my experience I drove a 2013 v6 for a week out in Arizona. It was a nice fun car in the twisty mountains and such, and it had a decent amount of power, it also had outstanding fuel mileage I was getting about 27 90% of the time with a heavy foot. Some of the cons about that car- alot of body roll, not the best gear ratios. It was all around great car. That being said I bought a 2013 5.0 track pack with 2500 miles on it in December a week before Christmas and man what a machine. First off this is my first car and mustang so please excuse my biasness due to I'm still drooling over the car. The 5.0 engine vs the v6 is HUGE the 5.0 throws you back into the seat when you hit the gas in 1-4. There is just so much of a difference ford really did a great job on the 5.0. Some other differences is the suspension is a little different, the brakes are outstanding. I only have one complaint so far that is the transmission. The shifting is just hard and rough between 1-4 I'm going to get my transmission fluid changed soon I read that it may help a bit. Other then that I love the Car. Now you basicly have 2 options you can go for a nice luxury v6 with everything or a base model v8 ( you should really go for 3.73 gears a nice cheep option) also if you get the v6 I would go for an auto because you actually get better 0-60 with an auto. But don't worry witch either one you buy you will like.
Not that it's a big deal but the base 5.0 does not come with powers seats. That is an additional option that costs extra. I can only imagine what a beast the 5.0 is and the power as it throws you back. I was just really shocked when I first went looking at the 11 stangs to see such a huge price difference between the base v6 and base 5.0. I certainly thought for 7,500k more for the GT model there would of been some serious electronic goodies including along with leather seats for that price. If a person wants a more throw back in the seat feeling for their v6 , then one has to spend around 600 bucks to have 3.73 gears installed and that transforms the v6 model. I do think the 5.0 is awesome and would love that type of power but not at the expense of 7,500 more. I would of paid 3k more for the base 5.0 considering it has 18inch tires, 115 extra HP , upgraded suspension system and brakes. It does not cost the Ford Corporation 7,500k more to put those parts on compared to tires, engine, brakes, suspension system of the v6. The Ford worker who lowers the 5.0 engine into the car is the same work that takes to lower the 3.7 engine into the car. The worker who puts on the brake pads on the v6 is the same work to put on brake pads of the v8. To assemble the car from the factory is the same whether its a v6 or v8 model no matter what front fascia they are installing. Ford Corporation is getting a huge discount on the tires and wheels because of the volume they are ordering that it is a small difference in there cost to use the 18 inch tire or 17 inch tire. Ford needs to lower there 5.0 prices.

It does not cost the Ford Corporation thousands more to produce the 5.0 engine over the 3.7 engine. Ford priced the v6 perfect but the 5.0 is way high.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It does not cost the Ford Corporation thousands more to produce the 5.0 engine over the 3.7 engine. Ford priced the v6 perfect but the 5.0 is way high.
Yep, agree on that. Or at least give alot more of the performance options standard on a base 5.0
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Not that it's a big deal but the base 5.0 does not come with powers seats. That is an additional option that costs extra. I can only imagine what a beast the 5.0 is and the power as it throws you back. I was just really shocked when I first went looking at the 11 stangs to see such a huge price difference between the base v6 and base 5.0. I certainly thought for 7,500k more for the GT model there would of been some serious electronic goodies including along with leather seats for that price. If a person wants a more throw back in the seat feeling for their v6 , then one has to spend around 600 bucks to have 3.73 gears installed and that transforms the v6 model. I do think the 5.0 is awesome and would love that type of power but not at the expense of 7,500 more. I would of paid 3k more for the base 5.0 considering it has 18inch tires, 115 extra HP , upgraded suspension system and brakes. It does not cost the Ford Corporation 7,500k more to put those parts on compared to tires, engine, brakes, suspension system of the v6. The Ford worker who lowers the 5.0 engine into the car is the same work that takes to lower the 3.7 engine into the car. The worker who puts on the brake pads on the v6 is the same work to put on brake pads of the v8. To assemble the car from the factory is the same whether its a v6 or v8 model no matter what front fascia they are installing. Ford Corporation is getting a huge discount on the tires and wheels because of the volume they are ordering that it is a small difference in there cost to use the 18 inch tire or 17 inch tire. Ford needs to lower there 5.0 prices.

In actuality, the v8 is as cheap as it is because the v6 exists.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

In actuality, the v8 is as cheap as it is because the v6 exists.
Well, it needs to be way cheaper. 7500 k price difference between the two base models is way too high.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

For those who would prefer premium features over a V8 why buy a Mustang?

If I were in a situation where I wanted comfort and wasn't concerned about having a V8 I would be looking at something that's not a RWD sports car. Why not look at something like a V6 powered Accord or if dead set on American cars a Fusion or the whole other slew of cars that have the premium comforts, push 300hp and are in all honesty far more comfortable cars than the Mustang?

I have a 2010 Honda Accord EX w/ a V6. It pushes 300hp and it has all the goodies including a sun roof. My Accord is nicer on the inside than my GT premium, the controls are all digital and it even has a dual zone digital temperature control that blows away the Mustang's cheapo plastic knob crap. The suspension on my Accord makes for a much more comfortable ride than a Mustang and it's extremely quiet inside. An Accord outfitted like mine is around $27K new which makes it in the same price range as a loaded up V6 Mustang. This is all not to mention the Accord hold's it's resell value a million times better than any of the V6 Stangs, Camaro's, and Chargers.

There's obviously no shortage of folks who choose the V6 cars when you consider there are something like 3 V6 cars sold for every 1 V8 car and I know it all comes down to personal taste but I've always wondered why someone would go for a V6 sports car over a much more comfortable mid size coupe/sedan.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I were in a situation where I wanted comfort and wasn't concerned about having a V8 I would be looking at something that's not a RWD sports car. Why not look at something like a V6 powered Accord or if dead set on American cars a Fusion or the whole other slew of cars that have the premium comforts, push 300hp and are in all honesty far more comfortable cars than the Mustang?

I have a 2010 Honda Accord EX w/ a V6. It pushes 300hp and it has all the goodies including a sun roof. My Accord is nicer on the inside than my GT premium, the controls are all digital and it even has a dual zone digital temperature control that blows away the Mustang's cheapo plastic knob crap. The suspension on my Accord makes for a much more comfortable ride than a Mustang and it's extremely quiet inside. An Accord outfitted like mine is around $27K new which makes it in the same price range as a loaded up V6 Mustang. This is all not to mention the Accord hold's it's resell value a million times better than any of the V6 Stangs, Camaro's, and Chargers.

There's obviously no shortage of folks who choose the V6 cars when you consider there are something like 3 V6 cars sold for every 1 V8 car and I know it all comes down to personal taste but I've always wondered why someone would go for a V6 sports car over a much more comfortable mid size coupe/sedan.
Good point there.still I think people buy v6 mustangs mostly cuz its cheaper than a v8 mustang but they still get that pony emblem on the grill
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termi View Post
Good point there.still I think people buy v6 mustangs mostly cuz its cheaper than a v8 mustang but they still get that pony emblem on the grill
Some do. I might even say most. But not all. Not all by a long damn shot.

The price is important, but so is your mileage and that said, some people will opt for the economical route to road-fun. The new 3.7L V6 is no slouch and it's not a bad car or the worse choice... it's simply an alternative.

And I think that's a good thing.

Still, I lament not having a V8 at times.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why buy a mustang you ask? Because its a awesome piece of machinery that rocks with sexy a$$ curves and power. Its the iconic pony car something that an accord will never be. Now I'm not knocking the Accord because Honda's are great cars that last forever but I wouldn't say in same league as the v6 mustang. Totally different car. Granted your Accord has 278 HP and 252 torque that's quite short of the stangs v6 305 HP and 280 torque. Besides your Accord can have 400 HP but its still a foreign family sedan and not an iconic pony car. See you equate everything with speed and HP as so many do on here. Not everything has to do with 400, 500 and 600 HP. Its about driving a vehicle that has good power but the right look and the V6 stang delivers such. I find the mustang comfortable, have the cloth seats, I'm 6-4, 240 lbs and have no issues with long trips. People want comfort, advanced electronic apps, power, performance and the v6 mustang can provide that for thousands less than the 5.0.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It does cost them a bit more money because all the internals are different and stronger and also driveshafts and other stuf. But I agree they do need to lower the price of a 5.0 a bit
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It does cost them a bit more money because all the internals are different and stronger and also driveshafts and other stuf. But I agree they do need to lower the price of a 5.0 a bit
While the driveshaft on the GT may be stronger how much more money can it cost the Ford Corporation over the cost of the V6 driveshaft? There both two piece driveshafts. Lets say the v6 driveshaft that Ford uses in there cost them 250 dollars because of the thousands purchased. Even if the stronger driveshaft in the GT costs Ford Corporation 400 dollars that's only 150.00 more. I'm not saying that the internals aren't stronger but it doesn't cost the Ford Corporation 7500k more to build a base 5.0 over a base V6 even with the performance upgrades to the tires, wheels engine, brakes, sway bars and suspension. I'm sure the 5.0 costs more to build, I agree but not 7500k more. Maybe charge 3500k more or charge 3k more for base 5.0 over the 3.7
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is a conversation a friend and I have been having since the CTS-V hit the market (and I'm talking about the Sport Wagon)...

I contend that domestic automotive products such as Fords, GMs, and Chryslers should be CHEAPER in North America then they are. Now let me just say that I recognize that vehicles built in NA are cheaper here then in Europe, but that's not my contention. I contend that NA automobiles need to be cheaper here then their European and Asian counterparts to encourage North Americans to buy North American cars and help revitalize our floundering production industry.

I think the Mustang is a perfect example!

In it's various trims the 2013 Mustangs are great cars for the price. They're competitively priced against cars like the Hyundai Genesis, Toyobaru Twins, Nissans etc...

BUT!

I think they need to be priced to blow foreign cars right out of the water. Such that, if you simply MUST have a BMW or Mitsubishi, you should be prepared to pay more, and more then just more as more is now, for it over a North American car.

Maybe I'm wrong... But the mention of the lower price reminded me. And yeah, I'd like to see both the 8's and 6's come down a little more.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkolabin View Post

This is a conversation a friend and I have been having since the CTS-V hit the market (and I'm talking about the Sport Wagon)...

I contend that domestic automotive products such as Fords, GMs, and Chryslers should be CHEAPER in North America then they are. Now let me just say that I recognize that vehicles built in NA are cheaper here then in Europe, but that's not my contention. I contend that NA automobiles need to be cheaper here then their European and Asian counterparts to encourage North Americans to buy North American cars and help revitalize our floundering production industry.

I think the Mustang is a perfect example!

In it's various trims the 2013 Mustangs are great cars for the price. They're competitively priced against cars like the Hyundai Genesis, Toyobaru Twins, Nissans etc...

BUT!

I think they need to be priced to blow foreign cars right out of the water. Such that, if you simply MUST have a BMW or Mitsubishi, you should be prepared to pay more, and more then just more as more is now, for it over a North American car.

Maybe I'm wrong... But the mention of the lower price reminded me. And yeah, I'd like to see both the 8's and 6's come down a little more.
Amen brother. I would like to see the base 5.0 drop around 4500 dollars and I would buy one.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

If a base 5.0 could be had for $25k new (invoice price, probably $27k MSRP), I'd be driving one most likely.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
If a base 5.0 could be had for $25k new (invoice price, probably $27k MSRP), I'd be driving one most likely.
Me too. I would of gladly paid that.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

If, and it's a big IF, a 5.0 could be had for about the same as a FR-S, Genesis or Nissan, and that's the bigger motor, no one would really drive anything else and the industry would come back to life here in North America.

Or not.

But I can has a dream!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Amen brother. I would like to see the base 5.0 drop around 4500 dollars and I would buy one.
The 5.0 is very affordable when you compare it to the competition. I priced a Camaro SS w/ the same options as my car and it was about 4K more, the same goes for the Challenger R/T. You can not find another production car pushing over 400HP for a better price than you will buy a GT.

Molon Labe
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkolabin View Post

Some do. I might even say most. But not all. Not all by a long damn shot.

The price is important, but so is your mileage and that said, some people will opt for the economical route to road-fun. The new 3.7L V6 is no slouch and it's not a bad car or the worse choice... it's simply an alternative.

And I think that's a good thing.

Still, I lament not having a V8 at times.
Yeah i agree with you on that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion