Winter time! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Winter time!

Living in a place with snow, maybe it's just my opinion to garage my stang that I paid 40k for.
I understand there's sum that just have one car.
Ok reason me mentioning this, for the past few weeks i have seen a nice late 90s black on black cobra vert. Just sitting taking the rain/ice/snow. I know car doesn't have feelings, but man I feel bad for the car.
Does anyone feel the same way? Im jealous for people who are driving their stangs right now in hot weather
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james123 View Post
Living in a place with snow, maybe it's just my opinion to garage my stang that I paid 40k for.
I understand there's sum that just have one car.
Ok reason me mentioning this, for the past few weeks i have seen a nice late 90s black on black cobra vert. Just sitting taking the rain/ice/snow. I know car doesn't have feelings, but man I feel bad for the car.
Does anyone feel the same way? Im jealous for people who are driving their stangs right now in hot weather
It's up to you but a car is a car. There's people driving lambos and Ferraris in winter with winter tires etc. it's really up to the person. I drive mine in winter and handles great with my winter tires. It's not going to up the value on your car garaged or not I will add maybe 3000 Kms throughout winter and really that will cut the value of my car down at most a grand if that. I bought my car to have fun in year round, I can't Stand it being garaged At all for even a day. I didn't pay for it to sit.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
That's a shame even in a warm climate.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx

It's up to you but a car is a car. There's people driving lambos and Ferraris in winter with winter tires etc. it's really up to the person. I drive mine in winter and handles great with my winter tires. It's not going to up the value on your car garaged or not I will add maybe 3000 Kms throughout winter and really that will cut the value of my car down at most a grand if that. I bought my car to have fun in year round, I can't Stand it being garaged At all for even a day. I didn't pay for it to sit.
A garage kept car will always be worth more money.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I live in sunny California and l own a home that has a garage but, because it is being used I installed a canopy in front of it! I do not want my baby pony out in the elements. I also keep her covered. Some people just don't feel the way we do nor are they as passionate as we are about our ponies. My Mustang in not just a car to me.
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post

Oh I don't care about the handling so much,

All that salt, ice, it makes me cringe just thinking about my car being in that weather.

I can't wait to get it out of the garage and put the top down. Give it a fresh wax job. I have all my stuff ready
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If I don't have a garage, is a car cover acceptable? Cause that's all she's got =(
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
If I don't have a garage, is a car cover acceptable? Cause that's all she's got =(
Thats what I do, even at work if it snows, but hoping to have a garage this summer and a DD ASAP.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I am willing to pay a few thousand or more for a garaged kept Mustang then one that wasn't and am in the process of doing just that. An 03/04 Terminators. This IS the hardest decision I have ever made!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The way I see it, there's two schools of thought to owning a mustang. On one hand, there are those who get one to enjoy it year- round and when it gets to a certain point, sell it or trade it in when the time comes. On the other hand, there are those (me included) that want to keep it for ever regardless of how much time, effort and money it takes. Living in NW Indiana, I can't justify taking my pony out in the snow and salt that is spread on the roads. I envision my two-year-old grandson driving it some day in an era where only a few people will have the knowledge of how to drive a manual transmission equipped car.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If I didn't driven my baby year round, wouldn't have a job. Want a picture of her? She is covered in salt right now. The one I posted is her covered in snow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130206_171047.png
Views:	130
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	89548  
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
If I didn't driven my baby year round, wouldn't have a job. Want a picture of her? She is covered in salt right now. The one I posted is her covered in snow.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Ouch that's hard to watch :-/ knock on wood I have a great DD and my Stang stays nice and I'm happy to say its still in showroom condition I plan to keep it till the end as well
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
That's a shame even in a warm climate.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

A garage kept car will always be worth more money.
Maybe a few hundred dollars more but much f a difference. Only people who will pay that much is people who baby their cars. No dealer will pay more garaged to not garaged. People with the mentality that stored or garage means they can charge more for the car are insane and will never get what they want. Noone or no dealer will
Care about that. Unless its a fully restored classic that's the only thing that it will make a difference with.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Ouch that's hard to watch :-/ knock on wood I have a great DD and my Stang stays nice and I'm happy to say its still in showroom condition I plan to keep it till the end as well
Mine is in show room condition too.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Maybe a few hundred dollars more but much f a difference. Only people who will pay that much is people who baby their cars. No dealer will pay more garaged to not garaged. People with the mentality that stored or garage means they can charge more for the car are insane and will never get what they want. Noone or no dealer will
Care about that. Unless its a fully restored classic that's the only thing that it will make a difference with.
I'm not doing it for the dealership,

I do it, because I like seeing my investment stay, I worked hard for my car, I take pride in my stuff,
Just like my truck, or a house, fishing gear..lol
If you leave your fishing poles out in rain/snow or in farm shack, their not gonna last long huh
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm not doing it for the dealership,

I do it, because I like seeing my investment stay, I worked hard for my car, I take pride in my stuff,
Just like my truck, or a house, fishing gear..lol
If you leave your fishing poles out in rain/snow or in farm shack, their not gonna last long huh
So my dads ford f-150 truck that has 300,000 miles and sits in the snow, rain, always covered in mud, etc. Should not last that long. Oh wait...
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So my dads ford f-150 truck that has 300,000 miles and sits in the snow, rain, always covered in mud, etc. Should not last that long. Oh wait...
My f150 has 200,000 miles too..

We're talking about sports cars here,
This is where Some people are different in how they use their toys
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My f150 has 200,000 miles too..

We're talking about sports cars here,
This is where Some people are different in how they use their toys
Well like I said said I didn't pay to have my fun sit. If your turning it into a show car strictly and only goin to drive a few 1000 Kms a year then ok storaging is ideal. Doesn't matter if its storaged or being driven its still depreciating and oxidizing etc. I have fun with mine in the winter to each there own though
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well like I said said I didn't pay to have my fun sit. If your turning it into a show car strictly and only goin to drive a few 1000 Kms a year then ok storaging is ideal. Doesn't matter if its storaged or being driven its still depreciating and oxidizing etc. I have fun with mine in the winter to each there own though
I'll respect your answer, It's everyone's own choice.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If I wanted a show car I could only drive certain times of the year and had to baby left and right I would have kept my 1970 Chevelle SS 454.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
All winter lol

Name:	image-2785478732.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	89605
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When taken care of to start with, there's no need to restore a car. Rubber dry rots and paint fades in the sun. Salt and chemicals will rot the body off in 10yrs. A car with windows rattling and holes over the wheels, is not worth the same as a car in new condition. You can lie to yourself all you want.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When taken care of to start with, there's no need to restore a car. Rubber dry rots and paint fades in the sun. Salt and chemicals will rot the body off in 10yrs. A car with windows rattling and holes over the wheels, is not worth the same as a car in new condition. You can lie to yourself all you want.
+1
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
...A garage kept car will always be worth more money.
^Yup! And you can tell, no matter how well maintained it is.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The only time you can take care of a car is to garage it and keep it there forever. You can't tell me a well taken care of car can last 20+ plus years by just keeping good care unless its garaged its whole life and protected from elements. There's no lieing to myself when I've seen what everyone else sees. Everything deteriorates within time. All you can do is slow the process. Oxidization alone can rot the frame slowly. Show me a car that's well taken care off from the start and driven on average 5000 km a year if not less and that's at least 10 years old without anyone signs of aging. Bet you can't so you should stop fooling yourself.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

^Yup! And you can tell, no matter how well maintained it is.
It's only worth it to someone who's dumb enough to pay for it and to only people that seem to care that a garaged car is worth that amount. It's all about personal thoughts about that idea.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Name:	image-2193115841.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	89616

Name:	image-887109782.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	89617

I didn't spend all kinda money to only enjoy my car in ideal conditions. My baby is daily driven up here in northern NY
TheAdrianHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So just a thought, so all the old 60s mustangs in junk yard. I wonder how many of them are there because they saw too many winters, and
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdrianHand View Post

I didn't spend all kinda money to only enjoy my car in ideal conditions. My baby is daily driven up here in northern NY
+1, I myself find it thrilling to drive in the snow and ice! No snow day is stopping me!
lwandrewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So just a thought, so all the old 60s mustangs in junk yard. I wonder how many of them are there because they saw too many winters, and
Now their rust buckets,
But the ones rolling across Barrett Jackson auction blocks were probably the baby vehicles
Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Garage your car and don't worry about us in the elements, maybe one day it'll pay off big for you. Just saying..
lwandrewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The only time you can take care of a car is to garage it and keep it there forever. You can't tell me a well taken care of car can last 20+ plus years by just keeping good care unless its garaged its whole life and protected from elements. There's no lieing to myself when I've seen what everyone else sees. Everything deteriorates within time. All you can do is slow the process. Oxidization alone can rot the frame slowly. Show me a car that's well taken care off from the start and driven on average 5000 km a year if not less and that's at least 10 years old without anyone signs of aging. Bet you can't so you should stop fooling yourself.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

It's only worth it to someone who's dumb enough to pay for it and to only people that seem to care that a garaged car is worth that amount. It's all about personal thoughts about that idea.
There's plenty rite here on this fourm 10+ yrs old that still look new, and if you ask, your gonna hear it was kept in a garage an out of the salt. How bout you show me one that wasn't, and still looks new.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

There's nothing wrong with not having another vehicle or a garage to keep your car in. But to say it makes no difference, is just foolish.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Pretty sure car bodies fair better these days than those built 50 years ago. Snow/salt will not "rust the body off a car in 10 years" if you pay any attention to your car. I've driven in winter all of my life and have had a grand total of zero body rot on any of my cars and I live in New England. A garaged car will command more money in a private sale, but it's not like driving in snow is a death sentence to your car. Most people trade their cars in and if youre getting less money from a dealer than a garaged car, you probably didn't take great care of it. All that being said, I'd prefer a DD and a garage (and am working towards both), so I can spend less maintenance time on my ride, and I currently use a car cover and skip snowy days when I can, but intend to keep it a long time as well and have no worries about it long term.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
You can believe what you want. This pic shows how road salt can get on your engine, even if you don't drive much at all in the snow.

Attachment 89632
^I had to get a sponge and a bucket of water and get that off or it will pit the aluminum and rust the steel parts.

I'm not saying you have to park it in the snow. I'm just saying your fooling yourself if you think that doesn't reduce the value of your car.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The 1970 Chevelle ss 454 I had was in my family from the day it left the assembly line(you know what I mean) and had been driven every winter since and when I sold it she was sold as a show car. The guy asked me if I garage kept her and I told him no.

If you take care of your car it won't matter except to the people who only want to choose it does.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion