Learning to drive manual... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Question Learning to drive manual...

Hello, so.. I am trading my 2012 V6 (Auto) in for a 2013 5.0 (Manual)... I have NEVER driven a manual but figured that since everyone pretty much says manuals are more fun, I would learn to drive one. I was curious as to how hard it is to learn, is stalling at stop lights a concern really?. Im already a pretty nervous person & stalling at a light would terrify me..lol.
Just curious as to how hard it is to learn & everything that goes with it.. Thanks..
j85mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Try driving a car that's manual, maybe a relative or a friend. I learned in 5 min not hard at all. You will stall of its you're first time and that's kool. Just practice
Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by j85mobile View Post
Hello, so.. I am trading my 2012 V6 (Auto) in for a 2013 5.0 (Manual)... I have NEVER driven a manual but figured that since everyone pretty much says manuals are more fun, I would learn to drive one. I was curious as to how hard it is to learn, is stalling at stop lights a concern really?. Im already a pretty nervous person & stalling at a light would terrify me..lol.
Just curious as to how hard it is to learn & everything that goes with it.. Thanks..
It just takes coordination. You are going to stall. It is inevitable haha. You are also gonna let the clutch out too fast and burn rubber.

That is OK!

Best thing to do is find an empty parking lot and get comfortable with it first. Your gonna have to spend time getting used to where the clutch catches and how much gas to give her and how easy to let the clutch out.

Just don't get frustrated if you stall, start her back up and try again. Only thing you can do is try and go forward
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Stalling at a light is the least of your worries, you'll stall in much less convenient spots =). It happens, don't worry about it, and when it does, don't panic, just start the car again. Ignore the cars behind you, ignore them if they beep. If you get upset/nervous/rush to get going more than likely you WILL stall again. DO NOT bring your 5.0 home, drive it for 20 minutes and then go out on the highway. I spent hours in a development practicing. Find somewhere flat, and just start, stop, start, stop. Over and over. Don't even leave first gear. This is the best way to get that part out of the way. Once you figure out how to start moving the rest is a piece of cake. When you're confident on the flat, move to hills (if you have any). Yes the car has hill assist but early on you're too slow moving from the clutch the gas to get going before it releases. When it does you're going to panic and stall (more than likely, it's natural to go ohhhh **** and stall). Once you're doing pretty well on a hill, you're golden. Shifting up is cake when casually driving and you don't really need to shift down coming to stops. Shifting down is something you should understand before you try at high speed because you can lock up the rear tires and spin out if you do it wrong.

Seriously though, within a week or two you'll be fine. Source: I bought a 2013 gt in october having literally no experience with manual and now I drive it no problem at all.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

And like venomouz said, some people get it in 5 minutes, some people need a few hours. I understood the concept and, I lied - I had an hour or two of experience in a 4 cylinder truck - but the catch point and power was so different that it took me a while to get it down. It also helps if the person teaching you is good at teaching you. I figured out on my own that you can't keep your clutch heel on the floor (which may vary depending on your height) but the person teaching me didn't tell me that. Once I did figured that out it got much easier.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

lol.. Yeah, I figured I would stall way more than a couple of times.. lol. I will def. practice quite a bit once I get it. Will be driving it from Michigan to Houston.. I was worried about having to downshift at every light & if it was required or not. Also, this may be a stupid question, but what is granny shifting?..lol. I seen some people mention that a few times.. Anyway, thank you very much for the responses. I won't freak out too mich when I stall in traffic..lol
Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I didn't stall I did a burnout the first time I took off in a manual
Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You'll get it pretty quickly, I learned on 4 wheelers and they are a little easier to feather the clutch, seems like the GT just grabs and wants to go. Just take it slow, when you feel the clutch start to pull, then give it a little bit of gas. That's the best way to figure out where the clutch really catches!
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Never drove a manual, went to the dealership, father test drove it, I drove it home from the dealer an hour away and had no problems
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Best way to learn is to buy the car then worry about. My first car was a manual and my parent bought it for me and dropped me off at the dealer then left and if I wanted to get home I had to learn how to drive it.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13

Stalling at a light is the least of your worries, you'll stall in much less convenient spots =). It happens, don't worry about it, and when it does, don't panic, just start the car again. Ignore the cars behind you, ignore them if they beep. If you get upset/nervous/rush to get going more than likely you WILL stall again. DO NOT bring your 5.0 home, drive it for 20 minutes and then go out on the highway. I spent hours in a development practicing. Find somewhere flat, and just start, stop, start, stop. Over and over. Don't even leave first gear. This is the best way to get that part out of the way. Once you figure out how to start moving the rest is a piece of cake. When you're confident on the flat, move to hills (if you have any). Yes the car has hill assist but early on you're too slow moving from the clutch the gas to get going before it releases. When it does you're going to panic and stall (more than likely, it's natural to go ohhhh **** and stall). Once you're doing pretty well on a hill, you're golden. Shifting up is cake when casually driving and you don't really need to shift down coming to stops. Shifting down is something you should understand before you try at high speed because you can lock up the rear tires and spin out if you do it wrong.

Seriously though, within a week or two you'll be fine. Source: I bought a 2013 gt in october having literally no experience with manual and now I drive it no problem at all.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

And like venomouz said, some people get it in 5 minutes, some people need a few hours. I understood the concept and, I lied - I had an hour or two of experience in a 4 cylinder truck - but the catch point and power was so different that it took me a while to get it down. It also helps if the person teaching you is good at teaching you. I figured out on my own that you can't keep your clutch heel on the floor (which may vary depending on your height) but the person teaching me didn't tell me that. Once I did figured that out it got much easier.
That's a really good explanation for someone that just learnt. Only thing I'll add is, if you know someone with a manual 4x4, have them put it in low lock till you get the hang of it. It's nearly impossible to kill it in low lock.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
That's a really good explanation for someone that just learnt. Only thing I'll add is, if you know someone with a manual 4x4, have them put it in low lock till you get the hang of it. It's nearly impossible to kill it in low lock.
I took a lot of mental notes cause the person who taught me in his truck left out a lot of important details haha.

Oh, and make sure you're in 1st gear. Once you're good at it you'll accidentally throw it in 3rd instead of 1st when you stop. Then you'll make sure you put it in 1st the next time you stop, and when you go to start you'll find out you missed 1st and are in 3rd anyway. Or maybe that just happened to me a few times the first month haha.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
Best way to learn is to buy the car then worry about. My first car was a manual and my parent bought it for me and dropped me off at the dealer then left and if I wanted to get home I had to learn how to drive it.
That's exactly what I did. I bought my 2013 v6 mustang in December. I picked it up yesterday, then cautiously drove to an empty parking lot and let all my worries go. I thought I was good but then I stalled at a light. Lmao. I got the hang of it now.
Deibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #13

lol. Glad I'm not the only one who will be having stalled a couple times. as soon as I get it, I'll have to find me an empty parking lot & just have fun with it.. Thank you very much.. !!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I drove a manual once before I bought my 6 speed manual 5.0. I stalled a number of times with some guys laughing and me. I heard them yell learn to drive your mustang. They were just jealous. Now it is second nature. You will love it.
The first time I drove my motorcycle I stalled 4 times trying to get up a hill with cars behind me. The worst thing you can do is let the other people get to you. You will stall again.
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmag View Post
I drove a manual once before I bought my 6 speed manual 5.0. I stalled a number of times with some guys laughing and me. I heard them yell learn to drive your mustang. They were just jealous. Now it is second nature. You will love it.
The first time I drove my motorcycle I stalled 4 times trying to get up a hill with cars behind me. The worst thing you can do is let the other people get to you. You will stall again.

Thanks.. And yeah, thays pretty much what I'm worried about.. Stalling & having to deal with people. That drives me crazy & makes me even more nervous but hopefully I can just ignore it. I actually looked at getting a motorcycle but have never driven one of those either. lol
Old 02-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks.. And yeah, thays pretty much what I'm worried about.. Stalling & having to deal with people. That drives me crazy & makes me even more nervous but hopefully I can just ignore it. I actually looked at getting a motorcycle but have never driven one of those either. lol
No problem. And try one new toy at a time!
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #17

lol.. Will do!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The worst thing is when

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

For some reason I didn't finish... As I was trying to say the worst thing is when a car gets right on your a$$ and your on an exit off ramp slope ... Lol ... But once ya learn.... ya do it without even thinking....
Bongadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongadier View Post
The worst thing is when

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

For some reason I didn't finish... As I was trying to say the worst thing is when a car gets right on your a$$ and your on an exit off ramp slope ... Lol ... But once ya learn.... ya do it without even thinking....
In the 13 he will not roll back, because it presses the brakes for 3 sec to let you drive up and not roll back.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by j85mobile
I just learned in 3 hrs this week and I can start smooth and everything. Just jump in and go. Take your time and you will get it with practice. But like they said its inevitable. You're pretty much gonna kill it Just to learn the catch point. Some people are crazy and get in and go. But most are not lol. it's fun to drive. Have fun Patience is the key!
iLLRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

In the 13 he will not roll back, because it presses the brakes for 3 sec to let you drive up and not roll back.
Dammit McQueen! Us noobs do roll back on occasion cause we are slow shifting into first haha
Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Awww back in my day ya rolled back like a man!! Kids these days have it easy... I learned to drive with my notebook and a bear in back seat in the snow... No roll back ?? What's next ?? Something that cleans the rain off your windshield as ya drive.... Whippersnappers...
Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure the only reason you were rolling back was because you took your feet off the ground, how was it racing Fred Flintstone?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2004054 View Post
I'm sure the only reason you were rolling back was because you took your feet off the ground, how was it racing Fred Flintstone?
He couldn't get me cause the nite we were going to race .. He stopped for dinner and they put a big rack of ribs on his car and it tipped over .... Soon you'll be telling me they'll put lanterns on the front of your car so you can drive in the dark...
Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I've never stalled, but I did give to too much gas which caused the tires to spin. It can be scary at first, but it is better to be alone and just keep trying. Every time I ever drove a manual I was with my dad who always got mad, that always sucked. Main reason I think I have an auto today.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongadier View Post

He couldn't get me cause the nite we were going to race .. He stopped for dinner and they put a big rack of ribs on his car and it tipped over .... Soon you'll be telling me they'll put lanterns on the front of your car so you can drive in the dark...
Lol! That is a classic come back! I honestly have nothing, you win!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
My Stang was my first manual and I had never driven one before, my buddy had to drive it home from the dealership for me... I know sad. However they way that he taught me was, in my opinion very easy to learn. At first I just used the clutch to get the car rolling and releasing the clutch very very slowly using no gas just to find the friction point/ catch point of the clutch. These cars have so much torque you can get them going without the gas in first. Once I got that down after a few tries then I started using the gas and clutch and after about 30 mins to an hour I had the basics down and was able to consistently get the car going. After that its cake.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #28

Thanks for the help everyone.. Hopefully I can get ahold of someone with a manual so I candrive it off the lot & make it to a parking lot.. lol. I'll probably practice all day. Good thing Michigan doesnt have too many hills, would suck to deal with that the first day..
So, from what I've read & watched on youtube.. You start the car with your foot on the clutch & brake?... Also, have to press both in when stopping?... Do you have to downshift? Is that better for the transmission?.
All I have to do now is pick the color I want & wait for june.
Thanks again everyone!!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone.. Hopefully I can get ahold of someone with a manual so I candrive it off the lot & make it to a parking lot.. lol. I'll probably practice all day. Good thing Michigan doesnt have too many hills, would suck to deal with that the first day..
So, from what I've read & watched on youtube.. You start the car with your foot on the clutch & brake?... Also, have to press both in when stopping?... Do you have to downshift? Is that better for the transmission?.
All I have to do now is pick the color I want & wait for june.
Thanks again everyone!!
Yes, you have to use the clutch to start the car. As far as stopping if you are going fast enough and just need to slow down you can use the brakes alone, but once you get to where you are going to come to a complete stop you will want to engage the clutch or the car will die. Once you do it a couple times you will feel it. Also you dont have to downshift at all. Some people do, some people dont.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2004054 View Post

Lol! That is a classic come back! I honestly have nothing, you win!
Lol lol all in fun my friend were all one big Stang loving family...
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would say get a rental or a friends car that is broken in. Try riding on hills and in city traffic before you hit the highway The 2013 has a smooth gears and it has hill assit so as long as you take your time and don't floor it you will see pickup fast. However I warn that you may need to adjust your drivng to be confortable in veriouis weather conditions becasue the wheel will spin in cold and wet conditions and you don't want to fishtail into traffic. Look on the bright side, if you burn out your clutch it just gives you a reason to buy an upgrade.
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty5.0 View Post
My Stang was my first manual and I had never driven one before, my buddy had to drive it home from the dealership for me... I know sad. However they way that he taught me was, in my opinion very easy to learn. At first I just used the clutch to get the car rolling and releasing the clutch very very slowly using no gas just to find the friction point/ catch point of the clutch. These cars have so much torque you can get them going without the gas in first. Once I got that down after a few tries then I started using the gas and clutch and after about 30 mins to an hour I had the basics down and was able to consistently get the car going. After that its cake.
So I just find this interesting as my would never do a clutch only start when I had 3.31 gears unless I was on a downward slope and even know that I have 3.73 gears it is still finicky on if it will do this. I have driven two 5.0s this way. First one I test drove was this way and so is the one I currently own.

First gear really gets the car going, but the few times I have stalled have been from trying to let the clutch go without giving her any gas.

Now the 2004 350Z I learned on was a different story. I could let the clutch out on that car and get her going then give her gas.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Just take it slow and easy. First time I learned I did driving at night when there was little to no traffic. You will stall it and through your lifetime you will keep stalling it on occasions. It happens and it's just part of own a manual is goofing up occasionally. It's like accidentally putting an automatic in neutral and hitting the gas and going nowhere. It happens.

Until you get a feel for gears, rough estimate is every 10mph you should be in that gear, this will help if you need to brake and then figure out what gear to slap her in to take off again:
1st 10mph
2nd 20mph
3rd 30mph etc.

The only time you have to downshift, is when you're so low in rpms, the car can't accelerate. On flat terrain thats usually below 1200rpms, on hills it might be around 2000-2500 depending on the grade.

Also, it's a gut reaction any time I hit the brake for a road situation (someone cutting in front of my car, road hazard) to automatically hit the clutch too. That way I won't lug the engine too far down and stall as the car slows.

The brake is there just to keep the car from rolling, nothing to do with starting it. I'll even sit at lights with my foot off the brake is no one is around. Otherwise I'll use it so they at least see my stop lights, that way they won't be tards with an excuse for hitting me.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
So I just find this interesting as my would never do a clutch only start when I had 3.31 gears unless I was on a downward slope and even know that I have 3.73 gears it is still finicky on if it will do this. I have driven two 5.0s this way. First one I test drove was this way and so is the one I currently own.

First gear really gets the car going, but the few times I have stalled have been from trying to let the clutch go without giving her any gas.

Now the 2004 350Z I learned on was a different story. I could let the clutch out on that car and get her going then give her gas.
Really? I learned on my dad's 03 Corvette (350HP, 390TQ) and even that would do a clutch only start. Thats how he had me start out when i first did it. Maybe you let it out a little too fast.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Really? I learned on my dad's 03 Corvette (350HP, 390TQ) and even that would do a clutch only start. Thats how he had me start out when i first did it. Maybe you let it out a little too fast.
Depends on the first gear. I've let her out slow. Dead Flat ground to a slight downslope no problem anything else and she bulks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion