Manual or Auto, Which do you prefer in a Mustang? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

View Poll Results: Manual or Auto, Which do you prefer in a Mustang?
Automatic Transmission 9 28.13%
Manual Transmission 23 71.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #36

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james123 View Post
I think the subject is pretty self explanatory, but figured it'd be good poll ? to toss out there.
I know not everyone likes manuals, or autos.

Me personally, I've never tried a manual
Manuals are my favorites; Must function well an be in good working order, if not there a nightmare to drive fast.
black smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #37
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Manual, cause I couldn't imagine buying a sports/muscle/fun car with anything else. I know nothing about these new electronic auto tranny's nowadays, but traditionally, you'd get an auto for a drag car. If it was setup right, you'd get your best ET's out of the car. It would suck as a DD because it would have a high RPM stall on it. It would "launch" everywhere you go and you bark the tires if you were on it a little. Neat, but that would get old if you're just going down the road to pickup a case of beer.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Well there was no option for me in 2012. I wanted BBP and 3.73, deal-breaker, so MT it was. I've been driving MT for 30+ years, I've had 4 Mustangs in that time, 3 of them stick, last autostang was my first, a '68 coupe I had wayback in high school. I had a '79 Ghia 5.0 TRX with a C4 that I swapped an SROD 4 speed into because it made it more fun and faster. I did the same with an automatic Merkur XR4Ti I once had. After its front pump seal failed, I put an SVO T5 into that thing.

All that said, I would have considered an auto if it had select shift that actually let me and didn't shift like sliding a blunt breadknife through cold lard. Paddle shifters I could go either way on, as long as the stick was bump shift or something similar.

Autos are not "faster than manuals" in stock form and comparing a tuned auto car to a stock stick car isn't fair. There's some validity in saying they are more consistent and easier but, that's always the case when "manual override" is selected.
Wow! An old school ford man! Our car histories parallel each others; {same cars, same mods. Same ideas. Rock on brother!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #39
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
America's greatest anti-theft device for cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stick shift.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	89982  

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Autos are typically faster because they shift perfect every time. They don't miss a gear and they shift at the exact perfect point. Miss a gear in stick and your most likely done. It depends on what you want. I want my lady friends all up on me when I drive my stang so I don't have to to be shifting.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Yeah apparently only 15-20% of the US can drive stick shifts is what I heard.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Yeah apparently only 15-20% of the US can drive stick shifts is what I heard.
While every other third world nation, the manual is basically normal
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #43
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Autos are typically faster because they shift perfect every time. They don't miss a gear and they shift at the exact perfect point. Miss a gear in stick and your most likely done. It depends on what you want. I want my lady friends all up on me when I drive my stang so I don't have to to be shifting.
Easier off the line too. You don't have to worry about feathering the clutch along with the gas pedal to keep from spinning out.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Easier off the line too. You don't have to worry about feathering the clutch along with the gas pedal to keep from spinning out.
Strictly from a straight line acceleration point the automatic is going to be faster than stick. The car never shifts too early and it never shifts too late, it ships perfect every time.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
This and Kona Blue's comments are all about "easier" not "faster". I'll put it to you, take a stock auto 11-13, square that sucker against a competently driven MT, and the MT will smoke that thing every time. I tried auto, it was slushy, slow-shifting and definitely not as fast as the manual car, particularly one with one of the two higher gearsets.

Measured on the road, I could bang off 60 in the tiniest fraction over 4 seconds on a good day, when I was stock. No factory-tuned auto car is beating that, as far as I've seen; more like giving away about a 1/2 second or more, just in that short race.

It may do it every time but, it's definitely behind when put against someone who knows what they are doing.

Tuned is another whole kettle of fish, of course. A properly tuned automatic is pretty hard to beat, as life just gets harder on a tuned manual car, as has been adequately outlined here.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This and Kona Blue's comments are all about "easier" not "faster". I'll put it to you, take a stock auto 11-13, square that sucker against a competently driven MT, and the MT will smoke that thing every time. I tried auto, it was slushy, slow-shifting and definitely not as fast as the manual car, particularly one with one of the two higher gearsets.

Measured on the road, I could bang off 60 in the tiniest fraction over 4 seconds on a good day, when I was stock. No factory-tuned auto car is beating that, as far as I've seen; more like giving away about a 1/2 second or more, just in that short race.

It may do it every time but, it's definitely behind when put against someone who knows what they are doing.

Tuned is another whole kettle of fish, of course. A properly tuned automatic is pretty hard to beat, as life just gets harder on a tuned manual car, as has been adequately outlined here.
Your assuming the driver is 100 % flawless on there shift points on the manual vehicle. One little mistake and the auto has the win because it does not miss a shift point.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #47
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

I'm talking about race setups with a racing auto tranny. Not stock manual vs stock auto. Sorry, I should have made that clear, Lol Also, the driver needs to know how to drive a stick like a boss to get the best times. If they aren't good at launches and shifting fast, then it doesn't matter which is "faster on paper" because they'll be losing time on launches and shifting.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Your assuming the driver is 100 % flawless on there shift points on the manual vehicle. One little mistake and the auto has the win because it does not miss a shift point.
You have a V6 so it is ok if u have an auto, but we are talking about muscle cars here.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

You have a V6 so it is ok if u have an auto, but we are talking about muscle cars here.
Lmao. Will why didn't you say so. That's a horse of a different color but the v8 auto is still going to have the same results.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

Hating on my automatic gt..haha
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #51
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Be nice. No reason to be an *** because you don't like v6's. Stay on topic.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

For some reason I don't recall that many muscle cars from the 60's and 70's having manual come stock. I thought majority were auto

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote:

Be nice. No reason to be an *** because you don't like v6's. Stay on topic.
That's okay. He didn't get his fiber intake today. KA chow McQueen
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

This auto vs manual never ends good so i thought i break it up with a little bit of an *** move lol.
It is pointless to convince a guy with an auto to prefer a manual or the other way around!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This auto vs manual never ends good so i thought i break it up with a little bit of an *** move lol.
It is pointless to convince a guy with an auto to prefer a manual or the other way around!
I thought it was funny. I could certainly see if one is driving in an area where there are a lots of curves than a manual would be a lot more fun than auto.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I'm just saying unless the MT guy is asleep at the switch, he's ahead at the stripe, stock for stock. You don't need to be 100% flawless, as you've got a good bit in the bag as it is, based on my SOTP testing of the auto car.

This car, once one tames its goofy wheelhop, (I'll admit, this is more of a manual trans problem than the softer shock load auto issue), is pretty easy to shoot out of the hole and get right. Especially compared to older vehicles. Hydro clutch, relatively good shifter (for a stock piece). Tweaks on the MT to make it better are easy to install, cheap and don't require you to give up your warranty, which tuning on an auto car will likely face you with.

Now, again, I'm middle-aged and I'd have willingly paid for an auto that met or came close to the standards I outlined earlier, in stock form. Sadly, this auto didn't do that. Hopefully, 2015 makes that right for owners of that version.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #56

Quote:
For some reason I don't recall that many muscle cars from the 60's and 70's having manual come stock. I thought majority were auto
Oh contrare; look at the value of old mustangs with 4speeds vrs. Autos. Back then it was the hot rodders who knew the bennies of manuals; also the technology was a bit more cumbersome autos were far more comfortable on a daily basis
---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

That's okay. He didn't get his fiber intake today. KA chow McQueen
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Strictly from a straight line acceleration point the automatic is going to be faster than stick. The car never shifts too early and it never shifts too late, it ships perfect every time.
Exactly why I consider them skill less.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I thought it was funny. I could certainly see if one is driving in an area where there are a lots of curves than a manual would be a lot more fun than auto.
But all kidding aside, yesterday i took my friend for a ride to show him my new full suspension setup and i get wheel spin in third gear and he was saying WTF that never happens in his auto 5.0. I also have 19x10 in the back with brand new michelin SS tires and everthing else power wise 100% stock.
The manual under a good driver will win and that is the end of the story.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #59
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

But all kidding aside, yesterday i took my friend for a ride to show him my new full suspension setup and i get wheel spin in third gear and he was saying WTF that never happens in his auto 5.0. I also have 19x10 in the back with brand new michelin SS tires and everthing else power wise 100% stock.
The manual under a good driver will win and that is the end of the story.
Actually, breaking loose in third is wasting time spinning wheels. The same is true for shifting to second, for that matter.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Your comment made me curious so I tried to research this and there is no data to back up this claim. They just don't track the data on stolen cars broken out by transmission type.

I can say that the only car I have ever had stolen was a manual.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james123
Probably the best thing is the manual restricts who is gonna drive it, because not everybody can.
Like If I got one it cancels out a while lot of people asking me, can I drive can I drive it.
Or it's gonna make someone even more tempted.
I don't care how long someone's been driving a manual, It's like my motorcycles, your not even sitting in it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Actually, breaking loose in third is wasting time spinning wheels. The same is true for shifting to second, for that matter.
Wow thanks so much sir for such a good tip, lmfao!!
I am talking about the power difference and that the manual launch harder stock for stock.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

That's okay. He didn't get his fibe r intake today. KA chow McQueen
I want what your smoken. Autos were very expensive back then and not nearly as good. Today is a different story tho.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #64
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Wow thanks so much sir for such a good tip, lmfao!!
I am talking about the power difference and that the manual launch harder stock for stock.
Okeedokee. You know, because you are crystal clear with all your posts. :
Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Your not "DRIVING" your car unless its a Manual. My mustangs a 5 speed. My jeep cherokee is auto. A sports car isn't a sports car unless you can shift it.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

I want what your smoken. Autos were very expensive back then and not nearly as good. Today is a different story tho.
I would be more than happy to mail you out some.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx View Post
Your not "DRIVING" your car unless its a Manual. My mustangs a 5 speed. My jeep cherokee is auto. A sports car isn't a sports car unless you can shift it.
Mustangs are not a sports cars. That is what I have been told by many on this form. They are a pony, muscle car which is different than a sports car
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Mustangs are not a sports cars. That is what I have been told by many on this form. They are a pony, muscle car which is different than a sports car
Lol, hell ya
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Okeedokee. You know, because you are crystal clear with all your posts. :
Bahahahahahahaha
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

Sorry bub, the definition on my insurance says sports car, not muscle.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx

Sorry bub, the definition on my insurance says sports car, not muscle.
They were called sports cars in the 60s any way, don't care what they call them now.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

They were called sports cars in the 60s any way, don't care what they call them now.
Hell a chevelle and gto were called sports cars, not muscle cars.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion