Manual or Auto, Which do you prefer in a Mustang? - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



View Poll Results: Manual or Auto, Which do you prefer in a Mustang?
Automatic Transmission 9 28.13%
Manual Transmission 23 71.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #176
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bloomfield
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 231
I've been on both sides of this equation, over the years, and both have their place, just look at the most significant sources, if it's drag racing look at the stock, and super stock ranks, most people fail to realize, that in drag racing, especially street cars, you would be bracket racing. In bracket racing you need to dial in, your cars, doesnt matter how fast you shift, how hard you launch, how fast you go, it's all about consistency. If you can run your dial in all day long, and make it to the finals, whether auto or manual, it does require experience for both. Go to the track and watch the stock class and superstock, and btw, try telling one of those guys, that only women should be driving auto.
In road courses, hands down, a manual trans is required, for absolute control of the car. Too many guys appear to be on an ego trip with driving manual, the fact of the matter is, you can have fun with both auto and manual on the street, at a drag strip, consistency is the key to the money round or trophy. The proof is in the pudding:

Left side my automatic, right side manual. I came up runner up. 7 rounds
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #177
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
I've been on both sides of this equation, over the years, and both have their place, just look at the most significant sources, if it's drag racing look at the stock, and super stock ranks, most people fail to realize, that in drag racing, especially street cars, you would be bracket racing. In bracket racing you need to dial in, your cars, doesnt matter how fast you shift, how hard you launch, how fast you go, it's all about consistency. If you can run your dial in all day long, and make it to the finals, whether auto or manual, it does require experience for both. Go to the track and watch the stock class and superstock, and btw, try telling one of those guys, that only women should be driving auto.
In road courses, hands down, a manual trans is required, for absolute control of the car. Too many guys appear to be on an ego trip with driving manual, the fact of the matter is, you can have fun with both auto and manual on the street, at a drag strip, consistency is the key to the money round or trophy. The proof is in the pudding:

Left side my automatic, right side manual. I came up runner up. 7 rounds
Everyone knows an auto is better for drag racing... I think in the first post, he meant which one people prefer better.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #178
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

Definitely not the evos front end!!!!
Apparently Ford listened to everybody on this site and they decided to go with the more American look
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #179
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
My understanding is you would need a torque convertor to beat the manual.
No converter needed to beat a manual, trust me.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #180
Registered Member
Regular
 
610swolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 442
I'm going to have to go with manual as well. Sucks in traffic but awesome any other time.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #181
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james123 View Post

While every other third world nation, the manual is basically normal
'Every other'!!! You sir just referenced 'Merica' as a third world country. Times are bad, but come on!

My camaro as had an exceptional auto. When I test drove the 5.o I tried auto first. Crap in my opinion. Manual with an aftermarket short throw for me
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #182
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post

'Every other'!!! You sir just referenced 'Merica' as a third world country. Times are bad, but come on!

My camaro as had an exceptional auto. When I test drove the 5.o I tried auto first. Crap in my opinion. Manual with an aftermarket short throw for me
Most cars sold in America are autos. I read the stats before and I don't remember exactly what it was but something like less than 6% of cars sold in America are manual
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #183
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Statesboro
Region: Georgia
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
No converter needed to beat a manual, trust me.
Beg to differ, I can hit every power shift 1-4 everytime and can always walk every automatic I've ever raced. I will admit that I still to this day cannot power shift 5th
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #184
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pony_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 326
It seems as though most enthusiasts for everyday driving prefer manual, as that is who's posting on this forum. I know there are many automatics sold for various reasons but seems to be that most of us here prefer the more connected feel of a manual. It's not meant to be an 'ego trip' just a preference that most of us have.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #185
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post

Beg to differ, I can hit every power shift 1-4 everytime and can always walk every automatic I've ever raced. I will admit that I still to this day cannot power shift 5th
I wouldn't, 5th & 6th are OD gears and would fail from that kind of abuse.

Every time assumes you never mess up. Never say never. I'm not dogging your skills, but pro race drivers mess up all the time. Nobody can be spot-on every time they sit in their car and launch and jam through the gears. This is why most who are serious about drag racing switch to an auto.

Track racing, the manual is probably best because of how experienced the driver is and how they are thinking ahead, so they know what gear they need to be in to accomplish their goal. But, where does paddle shifting come in? So many race cars have paddle shift setups these days. Doesn't that lean toward a more automated setup? Aren't these tranny's basically an auto tranny now that the human doesn't operate the clutch? So, despite what we might think is fun or a good driver advantage, speed, precision and consistency is the key. That's why they take the human element out of it.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-news...hift-gearboxes

Stock for stock, I choose a manual for the fun factor and sports/muscle car resale value. If I'm serious about racing, I'm going to be looking for a auto setup to suit my needs.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #186
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
Wow, this got dumb while I was away.

Here's a story for ya:

My last 5.0, an '88 T5, I taught my wife how to drive stick on b/c the Cobra clutch was on its way out anyway due to too much nitrous and I had a CF/DF to put in.

I took her to the local college parking lot after hours and I explained the procedure. Right as I reach the end of the lecture, my cell phone rings. I pick up and next thing I know, we're sideways and 50' of rubber is being laid. At this point, I ring off and say we can go home, she's already figured it out.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #187
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Statesboro
Region: Georgia
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

I wouldn't, 5th & 6th are OD gears and would fail from that kind of abuse.

Every time assumes you never mess up. Never say never. I'm not dogging your skills, but pro race drivers mess up all the time. Nobody can be spot-on every time they sit in their car and launch and jam through the gears. This is why most who are serious about drag racing switch to an auto.

Track racing, the manual is probably best because of how experienced the driver is and how they are thinking ahead, so they know what gear they need to be in to accomplish their goal. But, where does paddle shifting come in? So many race cars have paddle shift setups these days. Doesn't that lean toward a more automated setup? Aren't these tranny's basically an auto tranny now that the human doesn't operate the clutch? So, despite what we might think is fun or a good driver advantage, speed, precision and consistency is the key. That's why they take the human element out of it.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-news...hift-gearboxes

Stock for stock, I choose a manual for the fun factor and sports/muscle car resale value. If I'm serious about racing, I'm going to be looking for a auto setup to suit my needs.
Ya your right, never say never and I am by no means no where near pro but after 3 years with the car I know my way around it pretty good, haha. But I have to remember as soon as you get cocky these cars bite you in ***, HARD
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #188
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaintSancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miramar
Region: Florida
Posts: 149
manual

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

it's actually strange driving an auto after driving a manual. I kick for the clutch once in a while haha
__________________
|Short Throw Shifter| RtR Splitter| SR Lowering Springs| Roush Exhaust| Ford Racing Midpipe| Raxiom Headlights| 2013 V6
SaintSancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #189
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Capitola
Region: California
Posts: 1,634
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
To me, it all depends on what you use your car for. If its a commuter I can see why someone would purchase an auto, but I prefer a manual for my vehicles.
__________________
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #190
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Man, were just getting silly stupid with this topic. Let's all have a beer and forget about this nonsense!

Click image for larger version

Name:	beer-helping-ugly-people-have-sex-since-1862-funny-retro-poster.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	90337
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #191
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
FUN FACTOR/Auto-X= Manual
Consistency for bracket racing =Automatic
+11. Depends on what you want, and I drag race more than AutoX so Auto for me.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #192
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Man, were just getting silly stupid with this topic. Let's all have a beer and forget about this nonsense!
I'll drink to that, or anything else for that matter.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #193
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Wow, this got dumb while I was away.

Here's a story for ya:

My last 5.0, an '88 T5, I taught my wife how to drive stick on b/c the Cobra clutch was on its way out anyway due to too much nitrous and I had a CF/DF to put in.

I took her to the local college parking lot after hours and I explained the procedure. Right as I reach the end of the lecture, my cell phone rings. I pick up and next thing I know, we're sideways and 50' of rubber is being laid. At this point, I ring off and say we can go home, she's already figured it out.
I'm confused Does that mean you think manual tranny's are for girls? --><--
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #194
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pony_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSancho View Post
manual

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

it's actually strange driving an auto after driving a manual. I kick for the clutch once in a while haha
Lol just did this yesterday starting my wife's VW. It felt empty without a clutch.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #195
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

I wouldn't, 5th & 6th are OD gears and would fail from that kind of abuse.
5th is 1:1, I didn't think that was considered overdrive
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #196
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

5th is 1:1, I didn't think that was considered overdrive
I was gonna say I abuse 5th pretty bad on the highway with no issues
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #197
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I was gonna say I abuse 5th pretty bad on the highway with no issues
Yea and the car pulls up to 140 or so in 5 gear. Highway speed in 4 gear will destroy my tranny.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #198
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaintSancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miramar
Region: Florida
Posts: 149
yeah yesterday driving my gfs car I went to turn it on and went for the clutch and did some form of double take but with my foot
__________________
|Short Throw Shifter| RtR Splitter| SR Lowering Springs| Roush Exhaust| Ford Racing Midpipe| Raxiom Headlights| 2013 V6
SaintSancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #199
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Nothing like ripping through your own gears.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #200
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4053026403.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	90362

No offense:p
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #201
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
But that's just my opinion. I like driving standard it's fun. Lol but neither is better.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Cobra jets only come in automatic
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #202
Registered Member
Regular
 
nhcowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post

No offense:p
I love how you post something to bash auto drivers... But it's ok cause "no offense".

Clown.
__________________

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #203
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

I love how you post something to bash auto drivers... But it's ok cause "no offense".

Clown.
You act like I don't drive an automatic car as well? I don't just have one car lol only my mustang is standard. Sure call me a clown? Cause it's just a joke-.-

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

I love how you post something to bash auto drivers... But it's ok cause "no offense".

Clown.
Sexy mustang btw!
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #204
Registered Member
Regular
 
cheelyb09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,262
Auto
Since I haven't learned to drive stick yet.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #205
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
5th is 1:1, I didn't think that was considered overdrive
I though 4th was 1:1 and 5th & 6th are OD's. I assumed it was similar to a T56. I know they are different manufacturers, just assumed they were essentially the same setup. Lol

My bad! Slam away!

Are these the gear ratio's for the MT82?
3.66
2.43
1.69
1.32
1.00
0.65
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #206
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

I though 4th was 1:1 and 5th & 6th are OD's. I assumed it was similar to a T56. I know they are different manufacturers, just assumed they were essentially the same setup. Lol

My bad! Slam away!

Are these the gear ratio's for the MT82?
3.66
2.43
1.69
1.32
1.00
0.65
Yea that looks about right for the mt82 for the v8
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #207
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Yea that looks about right for the mt82 for the v8
Put anything shorter than 4.10's on the manual with that first gear and she'll be screaming real quick. Lol
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #208
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'm confused Does that mean you think manual tranny's are for girls? --><--
They don't call them womanual trans, do they...? I can't help it if she likes stick
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #209
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Statesboro
Region: Georgia
Posts: 828
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1753808055.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	90380
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #210
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

They don't call them womanual trans, do they...? I can't help it if she likes stick
Lol
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap Danger Dude Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 85 11-14-2015 08:51 PM
Injectors not pulsing? Otlaw80 1979-1995 Mustang GT 21 07-27-2014 04:12 PM
Hello from New Jersey Kmastro122 New Member Introductions & Greetings 250 04-04-2013 11:57 PM
Useful Mustang Information - READ THIS FIRST! Trojan Horse 1979-1995 Mustang GT 24 11-19-2012 10:54 PM
Will a Manual tranny off of a 5.0 Mustang Fit my 1997 Mustang GT (v8)? BrKu789 1996-2004 Mustang GT 1 08-03-2011 05:35 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:25 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.