Why did you get a Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Why did you get a Mustang?

I was just wondering what everybody's story was. What made you want to get one or what made you fall in love with them?

Well my dad has always been a huge fan of Ford so I grew up liking the name. Then in high school I started seeing a lot of them and a few of my best friends had them. I started researching them and learning more about them and I have been in love ever since.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My previous car was a Dodge Caliber SRT4. It was a great car but, it was starting to develop rattles and was really hard to drive. (300hp through the front wheels=impossible launch) I was ready for something new and I wanted it to be at least equal in performance.

I had my heart set on the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Pack. When I wet to look at it the dealer would not budge from the sticker price. At the time, stock was pretty limited on those cars so my options were pretty limited.

I started researching every sports car in the low to mid $30k range. I honestly didn't even consider the Mustang because I didn't think I could get the options I wanted in my price range and I thought the gas mileage would kill me. (I drive a lot) In the process of searching not really finding what I wanted in other cars. I searched the local Mustang inventory and I found a 2012 GT Premium advertised for $31k and I went to look at it. Despite the dealer being completely incompetent and even bordering on being a crook, I ended up bringing it home.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What do you think of it so far? Happy you went with a mustang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
What do you think of it so far? Happy you went with a mustang?
I liked the Hyundai very much and had I been able to get it for the same price I paid for my Mustang, I would have rather had that car.

That said, I love the Mustang. Considering the deal I got on it, I don't think there is any way I could have done better.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post
I liked the Hyundai very much and had I been able to get it for the same price I paid for my Mustang, I would have rather had that car.

That said, I love the Mustang. Considering the deal I got on it, I don't think there is any way I could have done better.
A Hyundai over a mustang, what u smoking?
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt View Post
A Hyundai over a mustang, what u smoking?
Exactly
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Unlike some of you, I don't think the Mustang is the be all end all of cars.

The Hyundai had several features I would have liked to have but did not get. It also had one of the best fit/finishes of any car I have seen.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Unlike some of you, I don't think the Mustang is the be all end all of cars.

The Hyundai had several features I would have liked to have but did not get. It also had one of the best fit/finishes of any car I have seen.
Your fighting a loosing battle here buddy. I agree with you on the fact that mustangs aren't the best car, that being said though, it is for the best not too speak like that on here. Bad things could happen.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post

Your fighting a loosing battle here buddy. I agree with you on the fact that mustangs aren't the best car, that being said though, it is for the best not too speak like that on here. Bad things could happen.
I'm not fighting a battle. I was asked for my opinion and I gave it. I couldn't care less what anyone here thinks about it.

I have no brand loyalty when it comes to cars. I just love cars. Personally, I think it is silly to limit yourself to just one brand/model.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I've been in love with Mustangs since I was tiny. And I grew up around them. Now that I have one, I don't want anything else from now until I die. Always been a Mustang girl, always will be.
sixxerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson

I'm not fighting a battle. I was asked for my opinion and I gave it. I couldn't care less what anyone here thinks about it.

I have no brand loyalty when it comes to cars. I just love cars. Personally, I think it is silly to limit yourself to just one brand/model.
A man that speaks my language. If it goes fast, i envy it. I come from a Chevy family, grew up loving camaros. Prior to this generation, they've always been the faster car, so thats why i liked them. I like some imports also. If it's fast, and not over done i like it. The reason i bought my first mustang was because it was in my price range, i'd always looked at them as a pretty nice car, and because it looked sweet as hell. The reason i bought my 02 GT is because i loved my v6, the car looks sweet, and you can hear me coming from a few blocks down.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I personally do limit myself, only because I love Mustangs so much and grew up around them. I love cars in general, but I prefer to only own a Mustang, and my despise for Camaros is definitely there. Mustangs and Camaros are rivals, it's okay to act the part and feel it. That's what makes the competition, and makes it interesting. No one should be telling someone their own opinion is wrong. Everyone is different, it'd be boring if everyone loved every single car and had no despise for at least one. So chill out, guys.
sixxerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Still.... a Hyundai? I could stomach a Camaro, Challenger, Vette, maybe even a lancer, imprza, or 350Z. But not a Hyundai. Sorry, you opinion is your own. I can respect that. However you are on a forum for people who LOVE all MUSTANGS. you are going to get some s***. In the end you made the right choice, so we still have love for you.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Lmao

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

And the reason I got a mustang was because it was sitting in my driveway for 4 years. As soon as I got my full time job all my PAYCHECKS went to the stang and now my baby is running stronger and better!
jleber123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I completely agree! I've never understood people that say"I'll only drive mopar, or ford, or whatever." I was just saying that by saying that you might be getting some people upset.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Don't get me wrong I love my mustang, but before I got it I was going.to get a srt4 or cobalt ss. Those srt4s are bad little cars. I also looked at a few trans ams and camaros. And I have friends that drive all of the above. As long as its fast I like it. I also have another friend that has a 300z tt and built it and it runs 11s
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I got a mustang because every car I looked at was rotted out or needed too much work. It was a fair price. I'm trying my damnedest to trade it for something I would really like, but nothing yet. I have always loved cars, I hope I can work with them for a living in the future.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
I got a mustang because every car I looked at was rotted out or needed too much work. It was a fair price. I'm trying my damnedest to trade it for something I would really like, but nothing yet. I have always loved cars, I hope I can work with them for a living in the future.
What are you wanting to get?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Can't believe what I'm reading. Everybodys entitled to there opinion. I guess maybe I just love mustangs to much. To hell with cameros and trans ams unless its before early 70s. That's my opinion. I wont type the good part lol.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Well to shine some light on this my buddy has the 3.8 track edition and I got to drive it a couple of times and it is a very fun car but the performance of your gt is so much better then the 3.8 my friend says it all the time that he could of got a better performance car for what he paid but also he says that the features in his car are amazing and they are and like you said it is very hard to mod those cars it is very expensive

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Oooo and the reason I love mustangs is because my dad owned one when he was my age and he loved it and still loves mustangs today
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Terminator, bosses, eleanor, gt500s, mach 1s, saleens, roush, cobra jets<-----why i love mustangs
Termi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
I've owned quite a few different makes and models from Camaros to a Subaru STi. But the one constant is, what ever I drive must be fast, fun to drive and have a manual transmission.

---------- Post added at 03:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
I've owned quite a few different makes and models from Camaros to a Subaru STi. But the one constant is, what ever I drive must be fast, fun to drive and have a manual transmission.
I do have to say, when I owned my 1997 Z28, I always felt it was ugly compared to most of the mustangs I would see.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I just gotta say this... Even though there are other cars and some believe some are better than others (and very well could be)... this is a Mustang forum, of course every person on here is going to be biased toward mustangs....

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What are you wanting to get?
I really want to get something older. My car is at a weird spot in car age. It isn't old enough to be a classic an it is too old to keep up with the new cars. I want pre-70s with a big a*s motor.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I've been wanting a RWD car for a long time. When my '10 Malibu (which I replaced a wrecked '01 Stratus Coupe with) started giving me fits as it was running out of warranty, I jumped on the Mustang.

I knew whatever I got had to have a V6 (couldn't afford a V8) and I wanted another manual trans. Contenders were Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang. Camaro's V6 specific running running gear and the weight were big turn offs. The Challenger isn't even offered in an manual unless you get the Hemi, otherwise I might have one now.

Ford finally got rid of those ugly '10-12 tails (sorry guys, I didn't like the reverse light dividers) and got some cool LED halos going on. They upgraded to HIDs on all models and got the Shelby-profiled front end that was shared by ALL models. It also had the V8 trans and 8.8 rear end, plus weighed less than any of them while having the best performance. How could I say no?

I tried considering Subarus, Evos, Genesis.... nothing could compared price wise in bang for the buck. Besides, Mustangs are abundant and if I kept it, I knew parts would be easy to get or replace. Yes, I was thinking ahead. I love it still has a replaceable fuel filter and a battery that isn't stuck in a hole somewhere. Plugs are relatively easy to change and most of the motor is visible.

Everyone talks about looks or performance when comparing cars. I always think of a lot of things and long-term ownership. I like cars I can keep, enjoy and fix, not disposable rags that need dealership interventions to be serviced.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I guess i can't see someone actually hating another car with such a passion. I can see if It's a rivalry thing, but not just like, "This isn't ford. Therefore it is trash." its not as if you go to a car show, you're walking down the rows of cars going... crap... crap... Crap... Double crap. "Oh, mustang! This is the absolute best thing here!" i guess i'm just infatuated with cars of all breeds. Don't get me wrong, For my 21st B-day one of the things i HAD to do, was go to the Shelby museum. I freakin' love mustangs. But They had Dodges that Carroll worked on also. I find those to be cool as all hell. Just so you guys don't get all irritated by my blasphemy, here are some photos from the holy land.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3160416453.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	90634   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3368367435.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	90635  

Name:	image-1006912756.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	90636   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-641335135.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	90637  

Name:	image-1421991987.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	90638   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1153756525.jpg
Size:	497.9 KB
ID:	90639  

Name:	image-3037453002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	90640   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3380625835.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	90641  

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I love all cars, except the ones done in poor tastes. I'd love my DD to be a Subaru WRX STi, and my fun car to be a Shelby GT500. That's just how it goes though...

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Buy American really simple for me American Muscle.
Mystic96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

And another thing about mustangs, the customization is endless and super easy thanks to American muscle.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I bought my 5.0 for the simple reason that its faster than pretty much everything else in its class and the customization is endless. I won't lie though if I could have afforded it I would definitely be driving a nice raptor but it's ford none the less right? Haha
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Well back to stangs I been through lots of cars and I was rushed into getting a 1000$ to get me by and it so happened to be a 98 v6 5 speed with 179,000 miles even though it wasn't the best shape I was .. Amused with its performance and wanted one thats the next gen up and nicer ... Always wanted one secretly but had quite a few imports and now I've got this 04 gt I don't think I could drive anything else ... Can't wait to pay off n start moddddddinnngggg but where to start ... !???
Jimmy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Funny story actually.. I was into imports at the time always wanted a 93 civic coupe for some reason lol I liked it:p then after the years of playing need for speed and watching fast and furious all the time still wanted imports tuner cars lol then my mom met my step dad then 5 years later he gave me his old mustang. Bone stock. Not even any appearance mods. Now I have my sixxer. And she's coming along very well
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post
Funny story actually.. I was into imports at the time always wanted a 93 civic coupe for some reason lol I liked it:p then after the years of playing need for speed and watching fast and furious all the time still wanted imports tuner cars lol then my mom met my step dad then 5 years later he gave me his old mustang. Bone stock. Not even any appearance mods. Now I have my sixxer. And she's coming along very well
If you could would you trade it in for a tuner?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you could would you trade it in for a tuner?
Definitely not! I love my car! I'm all about muscle now! Lol I mean I have nothing against tuners but I love my car and wouldn't trade for a tuner. I would buy a tuner just to have both though. But it'd have to be a nice fast one. Like an evo8 ix/mr or an sti or a gt-r
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I absolutely love my car and would willingly never get rid of but you just have to love supras and gtrs lol

Saw this one unloading at a Nissan dealership today and I just had to stop by and take a few pictures lol but I still don't understand why they would put a prop rod on a 100,000 dollar car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1759832944.jpg
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	90654  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion