Automotive school - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Automotive school

I am thinking about going to automotive school but don't which one.... Theres a community college near my house that has a automotive program but should i go to a school or uti? Or a school like uti? Any past experiences or tips would be greatly appreciated
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I got uti in houston texas. I highly reccomend it

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

Go to *
Termi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Why do you recommend going to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I wana go to an automotive school after high school and I've been looking a wyo tech , Lincoln , and UTI. I've hard that some people were not satisfied after getting out of UTI and I've heard that its a good school, I haven't heard anything else about the other ones.Good luck !
TXstang125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Ive read countless threads and most say UTI and the other expensive schools are worthless after you graduate, but many say you get out of them what you put in (grades REALLY matter etc in finding jobs after plus getting high recommendations from your teachers helps a lot)

I think you can get a great education in that area at a local community college etc especially if those in charge of the program have connections in the local area.

Just talk to people that have attended and talk to enough to get a general idea of how the program is during and after you are done in finding a job and the entry pay. Most seem to start low (oil changes etc) but work their way up, you wont be starting out doing custom cars and such 99% of the time.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
Why do you recommend going to it?
The instructors are actual ASE technicians that have 10-20years rxperience in the field. We have events like car bashes, where we all get together and get to beat a car with a sledge. We have brand specific courses, im taking the ford one. They have more employers higher than any other school in the country. And wyotech or however you spell it is shutting down btw. Oh and also te cars. We have like a crap load, but we also got 4 musangs gt's, a roush mustang someone donated, 2 nissan gtrs, an a/c cobra(kit car), gto, mercedes amg,and some other badass ones that take too long to list lol

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Ive read countless threads and most say UTI and the other expensive schools are worthless after you graduate, but many say you get out of them what you put in (grades REALLY matter etc in finding jobs after plus getting high recommendations from your teachers helps a lot)

I think you can get a great education in that area at a local community college etc especially if those in charge of the program have connections in the local area.

Just talk to people that have attended and talk to enough to get a general idea of how the program is during and after you are done in finding a job and the entry pay. Most seem to start low (oil changes etc) but work their way up, you wont be starting out doing custom cars and such 99% of the time.
People dont get jobs cuz they dont take it seriously. If you want a job, you have to have at least 3.5 gpa and like 98% attendance. We have career fairs every 3 months where literly dozens of employer representatives from dozens of company's come so we can talk to them. Alot of people here are lazy, and dont take it serious, then gripe when they dont get a job.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Ahhh this is my major!

Currently enrolled in my pre recs.

As soon as I can get into a mechanic program and get the ball rolling, the fun should start.

I was about to go to UTI in Phoenix, AZ (to be a motorcycle mechanic) about 2 years ago, then decided against it at the last minute because even though I want to learn on bikes and cars, I find working on cars to be much more practical for day to day things, and then I can pretty much apply the same knowledge towards motorcycles.

Like I said before I'm not currently in any auto mechanic programs, but I try to learn as much as I can off the Internet so when I do get into the program, I'm not completely lost lol.

I do however want to order a mechanic book to be able to read and learn more of hands on techniques that I can apply to my car, while on my down time.

Learning about cars, or really anything that has a motor is so intriguing to me.
MachMan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So do you guys think ill be better off at wyotech or uit than if i go to the local community college?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
So do you guys think ill be better off at wyotech or uit than if i go to the local community college?
I went to a local community college and got a decent education out of it. My issue with a big school like UTI and Wyotech is the fact that they just cram all this knowledge down your throat in a year and half and then send you on your way.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Actually i think wyotech is shutting down, or at least some of them are. And yeah it is alot of information, but its not that bad. If you pay attention and participate, you'll pass. One good thing about uti tho, is they do help you get at least interviews with companies. And they also make our resume for us when we graduate
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Go to the community college!! UTI is over priced and you leave with the same knowledge, it's not the school, it's the student. I know a bunch of kids that work at jiffy lube that went to UTI.

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It is overpriced. But like the other guy said, you get out of it what you put in
Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
I am thinking about going to automotive school but don't which one.... Theres a community college near my house that has a automotive program but should i go to a school or uti? Or a school like uti? Any past experiences or tips would be greatly appreciated
Better yet consider a technical college. Like a community College, but less associate degree program options, and more hands on. Also Ford, GM and others have certification programs.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Don't know if this was answered but didn't see it. But what exactly are you looking to do as far as automotive? I'm assuming mechanical stuff, but either way, I'd say community college or a local technical school (I did a two year class through highschool called votech) But learned that almost everywhere you go as far as a job, is going to teach you their own way on how they do stuff and train you somewhat. So I would vote community and learn the basics and what you can then go get hands on.
Millz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #15

Region: Arizona
Thumbs up The UTI Advantage

Quote:
At UTI, our extensive partnerships—many of them exclusive—with many of the world’s most well known manufacturers are important to your career as a technician.

Manufacturers equip us with the latest vehicles and technology to train you to be their next generation of employees.

Have you had a chance to speak with an Admissions Representative, yet? Give us a call at #800-273-8339 and he or she will be able to discuss our programs, tuition cost, housing and employment services, as well as answer any outstanding questions you may have.

Also, have you had a chance to connect with us on Facebook? You should come check out our page - we recently launched an Online Yearbook where you can view user submissions from graduates sharing their successes since graduating. It is all strictly authentic feedback!
difry_uti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
Go to the community college!! UTI is over priced and you leave with the same knowledge, it's not the school, it's the student. I know a bunch of kids that work at jiffy lube that went to UTI.
Hello BaSohol - may I ask if you are a current student or graduate of one of our campuses? No student experience is the same and we have graduates who work in a variety of places, dealerships, shops, etc. Have you visited us on Facebook, yet? We recently just launched an Online Yearbook where graduates go to submit their experience at UTI/MMI/NTI and also fill everyone in on their success after graduating. If you get a free moment, you should check out all of the diverse careers our graduates have!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I would have gone to UTI! I think working on cars would be a lot better than doing HVAC..
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Doesn't take degree to work at Jiffy Lube. They hire most of their people straight off the streets.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
I wish I would have gone to UTI! I think working on cars would be a lot better than doing HVAC..
Gordito, there is always time to follow your passion! Have you ever thought about enrolling and getting started in a career in the automotive industry? Give us a call at #800-273-8339 and an Admissions Rep will be able to get you all of the information you may need about our programs, tuition, housing and employment services, as well as answer any outstanding questions you may have! We have students and adults who enroll later in life looking for a career change!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Only think bout uti is they told me it was like 70% lab work.. Bull lol more like 70% classroom time. Other than that its pretty awesome
Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'm going to vote for community college, I'm seriosuly thinking about attending the automotive program with JCC here in louisville once I complete my bachelors in the next year for information technology. Community college is typically a lot cheaper and my employer will be paying for it so why not!
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If you like doing something try and make that your job...You will never work a day in your life, if you love what you do...If not go get an engineering degree and always have a good job.
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion