HID question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
HID question

Got my hid kit done today and after waiting hours because there was people in front of me. Obviously i was already a bit ticked off then, after they did the headlights i hear them talking about how they didnt have a the right size bulb for foglights. So i was mad and said to the manager why did i bother telling you what size i needed if you didnt even order them. After waiting and having them delivered they were finally installed. Then when checking them out i see that the fogs are a tad bluer than the headlights. I asked for 8k on both. The headlights look like 6k to me and 8k on fogs. After arguing with the manager for 20 minutes the only explanation i was given is that the lens on fogs are smaller so the light is constricted and they took $20 off my bill. (like that means anything *rolling eyes*) I am posting pics below please tell me what you think, its hard to tell i took them on my iphone but it still does its justice. If you plan on commenting on the thread about how hids are illegal and stupid please dont bother its your opinion and i dont really care
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3137095496.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	91285   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-944219423.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	91286  

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Also i forgot to mention i made them show me the lights and they did infact say 8k
Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
those are 8k no doubt about it...way to blue for my tasted cause i like visible light but as long as you like it enjoy them...i can already tell you need to aim them though...that shop should of done a better job...can i ask why you had a shop do it btw? it's a 10 min install

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
They both look the same scattered blue color. Should do the job well.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
those are 8k no doubt about it...way to blue for my tasted cause i like visible light but as long as you like it enjoy them...i can already tell you need to aim them though...that shop should of done a better job...can i ask why you had a shop do it btw? it's a 10 min install
to be honest i just dont know how to do it i tried it once on my last jeep and the lights flickered so i figured this time id save the time and have a shop do it. was he telling the truth about the lens being smaller and constricting light? if this is the case i am going to order 6k from ddmtuning and swap these because its already day one and it is bothering me alot

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
They both look the same scattered blue color. Should do the job well.
they definitely do a good job lighting up the road i had these on my car last and never had any problems they arent blinding and they light up road good for me

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i'd do the 6k swap. i run 35w 6k headlights and 55w 6k fogs...it does the trick

Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i'd do the 6k swap. i run 35w 6k headlights and 55w 6k fogs...it does the trick
if i just swap the fogs for 6k should it match? im still baffled that if they are both 8k that they dont match i am really mad about it btw i like the way those 6k light up. Will probably either switch both to 6k or just the fogs. Should they match the headlights if they are 8k?

2003 GT
Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

may...as long as your ballasts are 35w they will. which i'm sure the shop used...most aren't comfy enough to use 55w in fogs lol, but i've never had issues so i do.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

yea i doubt they use 55w considering how unprofessional they are..thanks for the help!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

hey sorry to bring it back up but i was reading through i noticed you said you have 6k 35w on headlights but 55w on foglights. Was there a particular reason you did that? I know the 55w are brighter so could it be true that the lens on the fogs constrict light and therefore that is why you got 55w so it would match. Im sorry to seem like im asking stupid questions im just trying to get to the bottom of it and order the right think now from ddm. I remember seeing a thread you said you ordered from that and it seems you are obviously satisfied?

2003 GT
Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

took a couple more pics maybe you guys can see what i am seeing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1034185303.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	91622   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2425736255.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	91623  

Name:	image-1744912899.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	91624  

2003 GT
Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I run 55w 6K on my headlights and 35w 6k on my fogs.

Name:	image-1287142684.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	91642
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17 View Post
hey sorry to bring it back up but i was reading through i noticed you said you have 6k 35w on headlights but 55w on foglights. Was there a particular reason you did that? I know the 55w are brighter so could it be true that the lens on the fogs constrict light and therefore that is why you got 55w so it would match. Im sorry to seem like im asking stupid questions im just trying to get to the bottom of it and order the right think now from ddm. I remember seeing a thread you said you ordered from that and it seems you are obviously satisfied?
You should try switching them.
55w in your headlights and 35w in your fogs.
That can probably be the problem.
It shouldn't take you more than 30 mins to do.

I got mine from DDM and they look and work great!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yours look pretty good. I guess im just afraid to do it because im a newbie its the second car i own and theres not much space to work with and so many wires. I just want them to match i just dont understand why they dont. Considering i have the ballasts already i am just gonna have to order the replacement bulbs from DDM and i am probably just gonna go with 6k on both and i am hoping it will work and im going to try and do it myself. Hopefully i can sell these ones the shop but in because i am not satisfied with them. At night i actually love the head lights but i see as im driving past a car on the high way a bit of a purple coming from the fogs, that bothers me alot so im going to just buy the replacement bulbs 6k from DDM and after that hopefully all will be good!

2003 GT
Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17 View Post
yours look pretty good. I guess im just afraid to do it because im a newbie its the second car i own and theres not much space to work with and so many wires. I just want them to match i just dont understand why they dont. Considering i have the ballasts already i am just gonna have to order the replacement bulbs from DDM and i am probably just gonna go with 6k on both and i am hoping it will work and im going to try and do it myself. Hopefully i can sell these ones the shop but in because i am not satisfied with them. At night i actually love the head lights but i see as im driving past a car on the high way a bit of a purple coming from the fogs, that bothers me alot so im going to just buy the replacement bulbs 6k from DDM and after that hopefully all will be good!
I did it myself and it was my very first time I'm 18. It's easier than I thought.
I'm pretty sure they don't match because the 55w needs to be in the headlight not in the fogs.
We'll good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeasGT View Post
I did it myself and it was my very first time I'm 18. It's easier than I thought.
I'm pretty sure they don't match because the 55w needs to be in the headlight not in the fogs.
We'll good luck!
im 18 too, 1slosix said he has 55w on the fogs but 35w on the headlights. Now i dont know what to do. I dont have 55w ballasts anyway so they would both be 35w

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion