Test Drive 2013 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Test Drive 2013 5.0

So, my wife and I are at our Ford dealership getting routine maintenance (oil and filter change) to our 11 V6. Since we had over and hour to kill we made our way to the new cars. Outside they have a 2013 5.0. Auto with 3:15 gears. Never driving a 5.0 ,I really needed to know and feel the difference in acceleration of the 5.0 compared to my 91 Hybrid tuned sixer. My wife and I spoke with the salesman and took a test drive with it.

I was making my way onto the highway and was on the on ramp. I was maybe doing 35 at this point. I had a clear shot with no cars in front of me. I decided to floor that bad boy and see what that 5.0 was going to do. Here comes my review of this car with the 3:15 gears.

Wow, was I disappointed. Where was the being thrown back into your seat with the 420 HP. Not happening. I floored it several times and I forgot how much of a throttle response delay Ford has in these cars. Compared to my 91 Hybrid tuned sixer, my car throws you immediately. I bet you there was a two tenths second delay before the car began to take off. Now this 5.0 was also a automatic but so is my sixer and I have instant throttle response and 2:73 gears.

Even when the car was taking off I really was expecting more from the 5.0. My wife said the car didn't feel any faster than our car. Perhaps it was the 3;15 gears was a big cause in this but there was no throw back feeling in the seat. Even from a dead stop the 5.0 didn't feel that much more powerful down low even with 100 more torque than the sixer. I'm thinking the 5.0 really should not have 3:15 gears because I'm sorry to say but very disappointed and feel much better about my sixer. I feel with my 91 Hybrid tuned, CAI sixer and getting 3:73 gears and one piece aluminum driveshaft, one could run faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile than a 5.0 with 3:15 gears.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
as with my 2012 3.7L V6, they seem to both be top end motors that you have to rev up to get going. I love my 03 cobra for the opposite reason lol I get all the tq INSTANTLY lol (600ftlbs at under 3k rpms anyone?

I also HATE the throttle lag.... mine has it bad and it sucks. I am nearly at 20k on it so after its out of warranty I may tune it to fix that at least....
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Your shift points have been fixed by the tune to be more responsive and tuned for speed.

Not even fair to compare them.

You'll want to find a tuned 5.0 or someone with a manual trans and have them drive for you.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
5.0s are slow bro,...don't get one.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
5.0s are slow bro,...don't get one.
+100
They are seriously slow and overrated. Don't ge what all the fuss is about. People say the 5.0 is one if the better engines ford has ever produced, haha what a joke
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I hate these type of threads.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
agreed
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Maybe it was a 2015..?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My 5.0 is so slow I hate getting in it to drive I'm just going to go trade it in on a v6 lol thank god I have a 6mt and that line is total bs . I put my car sideways in first just to have my heart race lol I love v6 mustangs I love all mustangs but really ? All the 5.0s here can give you heart attacks the v6 can just make u smile a little lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't we all. They pop up almost weekly it seems with somebody who doesn't have a 5.0 saying they are slower then they thought and they are unimpressed.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post

Don't we all. They pop up almost weekly it seems with somebody who doesn't have a 5.0 saying they are slower then they thought and they are unimpressed.
Guess it makes those 6er owners feel a bit better
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I'll give you a ride in my car and you'll change your mind!! About the 5.0!! Wit the tune, you'll sh** your pants!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

Guess it makes those 6er owners feel a bit better
I guess so. I just want to know what car all these people test drive, every 5.0 I test drove was incredibly fast for a bone stock car. I've herd 3.7 owners talk about how their full bolt on v6 can take my mildly modified 5.0 up until we race an I smoke them, then it's they couldn't get traction or got bad shifts.
Next time OP please just keep these types of things to your self, don't mean to be a dick just telling the truth
Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I test drove a 2013 nissan GT-R the other day. It was so slow! I was on the highway in six gear and kept pressing the gas pedal and it wouldn't throw me back in the seat!

I also tried to start from a light in 3rd gear and it just was so slow!

I was not impressed!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have a 4.6 and made a mustang hater ( owns a 240sx) want a mustang ...
Rich04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I test drove a 2013 nissan GT-R the other day. It was so slow! I was on the highway in six gear and kept pressing the gas pedal and it wouldn't throw me back in the seat!

I was not impressed!

^Lol
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Your first mistake was expecting the untuned auto to respond anything like a manual. Hell, I accidentally throw myself back in the seat sometimes from jumping on the throttle harder than I plan to with my manual (3:31). A stock 2010 GT can beat the new V6's so there probably isn't a chance in hell your listed mods would beat the 5.0.

And to everyone else, I've seen multiple threads with OP bashing GTs any chance he gets, including one recently where he says there is no way they should cost $7k more than a V6 because they only have 120 more HP. He's just butt hurt that he doesn't have one.

My 5.Slow was a waste and a stupid purchase.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote:

I was not impressed!

and YOUR first mistake was that you're supposed to start out in 4th, idiot. 3rd gear is for snow.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

I was not impressed!

You didn't launch with the handbrake on, did you? That was your problem right there...

To really get a good launch in those cars, you gotta launch in 3rd gear with the handbrake on. Don't release it until you bang of the rev limiter twice.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik912 View Post

You didn't launch with the handbrake on, did you? That was your problem right there...

To really get a good launch in those cars, you gotta launch in 3rd gear with the handbrake on. Don't release it until you bang of the rev limiter twice.
You see I herd you had to start in reverse, really helps with traction supposedly
Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
You have to get out and push that's pure muscle right there!
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry to have really upset people here about my first impression and experience in driving a newer 5.0. I know its one thing to call a persons wife on this forum a fat, ugly cow but how dare someone talk LESSER OF THE 5.0 and that's just fighting words. I'm not claiming the 5.0's are not fast. I'm not claiming it was a bad purchase for someone. I was simply just sharing my experience and giving my impression on test driving a 5.0 with 3:15 gears. I'm sure a 5.0 with a 91 Hybrid performance tune and 3:73 gears would have me feeling different and giving me the experience I was expecting to have with my test drive. I was just very disappointed in the acceleration of this 5.0 compared to my lightly modded sixer for the extra 7.5k. If I were to ever buy a 5.0, a performance tuner and 3:73 gears would be a must. I was not impressed with the 3:15 gears and the factory throttle response. I'm in no way trying to justify my purchase of a sixer. I'm not bashing the 5.0, just was not what I was expecting and not all that impressed with that set up on it today.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I may have a slow 5.0( hence my profilename here) but my dad is stronger than your dad. BOOM, that just happened.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #23
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I'm sorry to have really upset people here about my first impression and experience in driving a newer 5.0. I know its one thing to call a persons wife on this forum a fat, ugly cow but how dare someone talk LESSER OF THE 5.0 and that's just fighting words. I'm not claiming the 5.0's are not fast. I'm not claiming it was a bad purchase for someone. I was simply just sharing my experience and giving my impression on test driving a 5.0 with 3:15 gears. I'm sure a 5.0 with a 91 Hybrid performance tune and 3:73 gears would have me feeling different and giving me the experience I was expecting to have with my test drive. I was just very disappointed in the acceleration of this 5.0 compared to my lightly modded sixer for the extra 7.5k. If I were to ever buy a 5.0, a performance tuner and 3:73 gears would be a must. I was not impressed with the 3:15 gears and the factory throttle response. I'm in no way trying to justify my purchase of a sixer. I'm not bashing the 5.0, just was not what I was expecting and not all that impressed with that set up on it today.
I felt the same as you with my test drive, but all I did to mine was a 93 octane tune, period! It's the equivalent of comparing a prius to a new Focus ST, with just the tune, and stock 3.15 gearing mind you. I ran my twin with a 6 speed manual and 3.73 gearing, while I have the Auto with 3.15 gearing,at Island Dragway last year, my twin had stock tune, I had 93 octane tune. My best pass 12.43, his best pass, 12.88.
Here we are in winner circle at Island Dragway, he won event by 2 tenths of a second at the light, through reaction time.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
I may have a slow 5.0( hence my profilename here) but my dad is stronger than your dad. BOOM, that just happened.
Lol. I'm certainly not claiming the 5.0 is slow by any means and never said that or indicated that either. Glad your dad is stronger than my dad. Lol
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Is ^that why the original title of the thread was "Test Drive 2014 5.0"? Is this thread getting the traffic you thought it would? Is the meat on a pigs *** pork?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Seen Same post on another forum smh the day your v6 with mods listed beats mine is the day il give you my keys. Lol but that wouldn't help since you drive a auto the manual might make you crap yourself
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is ^that why the original title of the thread was "Test Drive 2014 5.0"? Is this thread getting the traffic you thought it would? Is the meat on a pigs *** pork?
The title was meant that I test drove a 2013 5.0. What else would I have meant. As many others on this forum I was just sharing my experience and observations based on what I felt when test driving a 2013 5.0. Certainly my experience may not be shared with others and maybe some people have felt similar. I had never driven or rode in a 5.0 and was curious to know what I had been missing with not buying the V8 and gone with the V6. Being that my wife and I were waiting at the dealership for our car to finish up service, the perfect opportunity to take a test drive in it. I was very excited to finnaly get to drive one and feel all that power compared to my commuter car, V6. Unfortunately, the model we tested really left me feeling let down and my wife and I looked at each other and were like. Is that it? Even with the better suspension, the car felt the same as it does when I drive my V6. I'm sure on a windy twisted road the Gt is killing the base V6 on it's suspension but for driving on a highway and road with no real curves, the car felt the same. My wife and I didn't notice a difference in the stiffness of the ride or the tighter suspension. Then again I don't auto X my car and typically drive straight or roads that are not curvy. I just happen to live in a area of Maryland where the roads are typically flat, no hills and flat farm land.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Seen Same post on another forum smh the day your v6 with mods listed beats mine is the day il give you my keys. Lol but that wouldn't help since you drive a auto the manual might make you crap yourself
Very true. A manual may give me a totally different feeling. This was a automatic 5.0. I wanted that holy crap batman feeling. I wanted to feel my stomach curl with excitement and get a rush of adrenaline from being thrown back in my seat.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I think the moral of the story is...learn to drive a manual...

An auto will never launch like a manual without a torque convertor. Just saying.

And also ford babied this car on shifting to much with the auto. Kinda like my truck does. There are times I go to shift it because it takes too long. I can't do that but I want too. Almost pushed the e break in a few many times.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Why the hell are y'all bashing someone for sharing his experience??

That's what this damn forum is about!!! To share experiences and discuss them.

Damn.... Like a bunch of kindergarteners fighting over who has the best tricycle.

BE SUPPORTIVE!!!!!! Or don't even post......

Iv been a long time lurker of this site site joined cuz I finally got my stang and wanted to be a member of a fun and supportive group of people..
DigitalBman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Just as he has freedom to complain about what ever he wants we as Americans have the right to say what ever the heck we want so idc simply put he's saying his v6 can beat a stock 5.0 . It's like comparing apples to oranges to different power plants really just think he should talk down about the 5.0 if he doesn't know how they really move
Old 02-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Just as he has freedom to complain about what ever he wants we as Americans have the right to say what ever the heck we want so idc simply put he's saying his v6 can beat a stock 5.0 . It's like comparing apples to oranges to different power plants really just think he should talk down about the 5.0 if he doesn't know how they really move
First, I was never complaining about anything or downing the 5.0. Again I was sharing and giving my impression of my first test drive in a particular vehicle. I was comparing it to what I am familiar with and am familiar with my 11 v6, how it feels and shifts. The 5.0 is awesome as I think any of the mustangs are because there awesome mustangs.

Unfortunately, my first impression of this particular model didn't leave me thinking this was the second coming of Jesus. That's doesn't mean the 5.0 was slow by any means. Obviously, majority here did not experience the same things as I did when test driving the 5.0. The 5.0 certainly was fast but it didn't have the kick I was hoping for in that particular vehicle with the options.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have an 06 v6 and I've driven both the 5.0 and the 3.7. I've driven both the auto and manual 5.0 and that thing is a monster even with the 315.
1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
As I said in your other thread on TMS, get into the powerband at 4k+ RPMs and it's a whole 'nother story. When you hit it, you'll be back in your seat. The first time I did, my exact words were, "holy sh*t" but without the asterisk, lol.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
As I said in your other thread on TMS, get into the powerband at 4k+ RPMs and it's a whole 'nother story. When you hit it, you'll be back in your seat. The first time I did, my exact words were, "holy sh*t" but without the asterisk, lol.
Lol I said some choice words my self
1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
And I completely understand what your saying. Its all good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion