1981 Faux Top Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #1

Region: Other
1981 Faux Top Mustang

Dear Friends, im writing from Venezuela, im about to buy a Faux Top mustang, i would like to know how many were made? this is a one owner car, it has no damage, it has gray paint with black top, the owner told me that the roof is fiberglass, but i don't believe it, any advice? best regards
jmenchetti929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: 1981 Faux Top Mustang

Is it a convertible with a fiberglass HT? Did Ford even offer a convt Mustang in 81? I don't think so . . . .

Posting a picture or two could prove very helpful.

Vaya con Dios.
4thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #3

Re: 1981 Faux Top Mustang

Dear friend, check out this video at youtube, you will see it there:

as soon as i own the car i will post pictures of it, when you first look at it, seems to be a convertible, but its not, and this particular vehicle was imported from the U.S. i have in hand the customs papers, it was not assembled here like many of the stangs in this country, it has a 3.3L inline six
and 3 speed automatic transmission, maybe a C4 but im not sure, you speak spanish my friend?

Pd i saw somewhere that this fake top stangs where called Ghia, regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #4

i found this also:

The 1979 pace car replica was so popular with American consumers that the popular features were included as the 1980 Mustang Cobra package. This package also sported a cobra hood decal. There was a carriage roof option available as well in 1979 that cost an extra $625. The option gave the vehicle the look of a convertible when the top was up because it was vinyl stretched over the roof. This was as close as the Mustang would get to a convertible until 1983. Although, the public was certainly desperate for a convertible Mustang to make an appearance.

i read it here:

1980 Ford Mustang
Old 07-22-2008, 11:56 PM   #5

so i would like to know everything i can about this car, and if under that fake convertible top might be corrosion, hope anyone can help me.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #6

more info took from:

Celebrating 25 Years And Counting - Mustang & Fords Magazine

Why the big interest in classic Mustangs in 1980? Because Ford Motor Company wasn't building exciting Mustangs at the time. The most powerful factory Mustang available at the time had a downsized 302 (255ci) with two-barrel carburetion, metric wheels and radials, and an optional fake convertible top. There was no GT nor was there a Mach 1. The Cobra name was so diluted by carbureted turbo four banger technology and cheesy looking graphics that it had lost its meaning. No one took the Cobra name seriously at the time. People who loved and appreciated Mustangs went with tried and proven rides like Mach 1, GT, Shelby, Boss, and more. An industry and subculture were born of a steamy, lingering passion for sporty classics.

fake convertible top, very interesting
Old 07-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #7

more info:

International SN95 Late Model Mustang Owners & Registry - Events

Production numbers for '81
Coupes - 77,458
Ghia Coupes - 13,422
Hatchbacks - 77,399
Ghia Hatchbacks - 14,273
Total of 1981 Mustangs (182,552)

in the 1981 ad it seems the faux top stang, also how can i post images here?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: 1981 Faux Top Mustang

Wow - cool ad - I like it!

23/38mpg isn't too shabby (likely the 140ci 5 spd manual - like I had - a 1980).

Looks like the faux top you're refering to is indeed a vinyl top. They were somewhat popular in the 70's. The Carriage roof was a variation designed to resemble a convert.

Often there is light corrosion found if the vinyl is removed. Heavy corrosion is usually noticeable by bubbled spots, though sometimes, this is due to adhesive failure. Like vinyl decals, there is usually a limited lifespan associated with vinyl exposed to the elements. The better the care & the less exposure, the longer the lifespan.

Spanish - sorry, no - I only know a few words.

Best with your Mustang journey.
4thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion