Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
So, anyone having this issue with there Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust mufflers. Just a few days ago I had my headers and off road x pipe installed and very happy. I have the Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust system for the past year and half and like them. One thing I noticed prior to the headers was when reving engine or flooring pedal the Flowmaster mufflers would make a crackling, popping sound. Kind of ricer sound but not as bad. Even after the headers and off road x pipe were on I noticed the exhaust was much louder of course but the mufflers would crackle louder when reving engine. The crackle would be very high pitched when you let your foot off the pedal and the air was being sucked back into the mufflers

Today, I stopped at the muffler shop where they installed my Flowmasters. I told the shop owner I was interested in having resonators installed so I could have the exhaust tone more low pitched, deeper tone and way less crackle and ricer sound from the mufflers.

The shop owner had me rev the engine several times and like clockwork as the air was being sucked back into the mufflers they were crackling like crazy. The shop owner laughed and as nicely he could be, said the mufflers sounded ricer and the tone was horrible. The shop owner further stated that crackle, popping sound was being made by the Flowmaster mufflers and had nothing to do with the headers, off road x pipe. The shop owner advised having resonators installed was not going to change the mufflers from cracking because the tone and cracking was because of the mufflers.

After looking more into this exhaust system he noticed the tips were extremely filed with heavy condensation inside the tips. He also noticed when reving the car the mufflers were spitting heavy amounts of water. He showed me and the mufflers were spitting water out like crazy when reving the engine.

The shop owner said there was my issue with the crackling. The tips on this Flowmaster axle back Force II system are very thick, and they are holding large amounts of condensation. Shop owner was claiming the sound was bouncing off the very thick tip along with the water on them and that's the cracking sound, all that condensation on the tips.

Shop owner then removed the tips and told me to rev the engine several times. Wow. Holy ***** . No crackle or pop. The exhaust sounded loud but much deeper and no crackle. The shop owner told me get different and better tips.

He also noticed that my Flowmaster mufflers did not have a small hole drilled in the underside so there was no where for the water in the baffles to escape to. He recommended that I drill a small hole in the muffler that would allow the water to drain out when the water is being sucked back down the muffles when the car is not accelerating. Shop owner said the condensation was the biggest issue when it came to the crackle sound.

Now the tips are off , no more crackle but need tips that are not as big and thick as the ones that come with the system. Any recommendations on tip that won't hold condensation? I'm still planing on getting glass pack resonators to help with the tone and pitch from the off road x pipe but what a difference with the tips off.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Wow so tips actually caused ur issue. Thats why i dont like flowmaster :p
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Yep. The tips are rolled up at the bottom so when the water is pushed out from the mufflers and lands inside the tips. The water pools there and it can't flow out of the tips because of the rolled up bottom lip. The water stays in tips and gets sucked right back in the mufflers and repeat. Lol. If you listen to almost every YouTube video of the Flowmaster axle back Force 2 system they all have that crackling sound.

Its the darn water pooled in the tips being sucked back in the mufflers. Plus they don't put any hole on the bottom side of mufflers so any water trapped inside where the baffles are, the water stays. What a goofy design by Flowmaster especially to use rolled tips. I purchased a pair of Gibson angle cut tips last night from Summit racing and that should solve the water pooling problem in them. Even if water shoots in the tips, they can drain out. The car sounded way better with the tips off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
I certainly am aware ones engine is always going to produce a certain level of moisture in the exhaust system and some vehicles more than others. The issue was where the moisture was going once it left the mufflers. With the silly rolled tips the water just collected and stayed inside them. To think about it, the stock factory mufflers never crackled or made popping sounds. World of difference with the tips off. Are the Roush tips rolled up like mine?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
exhaust