Im starting to feel like I got ripped off - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I needed a new car something realiable but something I could be proud of. You buy a car for transportation, you can worry about buying a "FLASHY" car later. If it gets you from point A to Point B and back, that's what you need.

My first care was a beat up Chevrolet Caprice. But it always got me there and back home.

Hosed, you got SCREWED this time, watch and pay attention and it won't happen again.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClaunch View Post
I am prior service. Thanx a lot. And nice corvette
You should definitely look into PenFed
and thanks for the Vette comment
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #38
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Excellent advice in making a few payments with your current loan, and even paying a bit more each month if possible. This will show to a potential refinancing institution that you are credit worthty, and may help to get you refinanced at a lower interest sooner.

At the very least, making the payments ON TIME, and paying a bit more each month is great for establishing credit. The additional amount you pay above the required payment goes on the princible loan, so the interest that is acrued each month will be lower, as the interest that's added to the amount due will be lower. Every little bit helps.

Go out and wash that nice Mustang and take it for a ride. You bought a nice car!
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #39
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Excellent advice in making a few payments with your current loan, and even paying a bit more each month if possible. This will show to a potential refinancing institution that you are credit worthty, and may help to get you refinanced at a lower interest sooner.

At the very least, making the payments ON TIME, and paying a bit more each month is great for establishing credit. The additional amount you pay above the required payment goes on the princible loan, so the interest that is acrued each month will be lower, as the interest that's added to the amount due will be lower. Every little bit helps.

Go out and wash that nice Mustang and take it for a ride. You bought a nice car!
+1 if you take good care of it it will take good care of you. Car loans build instant credit.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

+1 if you take good care of it it will take good care of you. Car loans build instant credit.
True! Mine went from 8.9 to 3.5 in 9 months! (Car got totaled so I had to take a new one out) I'm actually gona end up paying less overall for a car with more options.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko

Make sure you specify on principal. Some banks don't automatically do it on principal. I have to ask everytime.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #42
Admin

Supporter
Admin

That's strange! Thanks for the heads up. On my house mortgage, any extra goes on the princible, so I figured that was the case with auto loans too, as somem of these feel like a mortgage!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
That's strange! Thanks for the heads up. on my house mortgage, any extra goes on the princible, so I figured that was the case with auto loans too, as somem of these feel like a mortgage!
Might just be my bank. It is a nationwide bank, and some branches do do it automatically when I do not mention it, but then they tell me to tell them next time because they do not automatically do it always.

I HAVE had to make them return my payment and put it in the right way before, not a big deal, bit it adds a minute or two at the bank.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Forgot to mention I bought an extended warranty on top of the 7yr and gap which puts me over $400 a month...
Dont feel bad...

My monthly payment for my 2013 V6 is $734
(No extended warranty, just no money down, and bad credit from having a child born 3 months early and +$1mill in hospital bills)

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post
How long have you had the V6? Not that it matters, but you dont have to wait any specific time period to refi. I would suggest you do it ASAP as 10% is robbery. I also suggest that you seek a credit union near you as they have much more favorable rates.

Also, if you have had the car a short time and are already tired of it, you might be within a window to cancel the extended warranty. They are nothing but a huge profit center for the dealers. Not all extended warranties are bad, but most of them are. It makes no difference to you as it seems you will not keep the car into the time period or mileage covered. Why carry this cost if it is of no potential benefit for you...

Gap insurance is also something you should not be in a position to need. You are in too much car for your budget and GAP insurance is just the salt in the wound of an artificially high payment. When you refi, put down some money so that you will not need it the gap, if available.

Bottom line - you are being hosed. Nobody held a gun to your head and you allowed yourself to be put in this position. Hopefully you can make some changes to decrease the pain a bit or you will have to chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

I am not preaching but we have all had to learn these types of lessons. Good luck.
My APR is 17%
kdbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Didn't take time to read the whole thing. Here is advice from a 52 year old who's seen it all. I've owned many cars in my life. Worst experience ever was a lease. I paid the lease payments for 5 years, then because I was way over on the mileage I had to buy it or pay a big penalty. The penalty was same as buying it. I essentially paid for it 2x.

Best advice for future is don't buy a new car, let someone else take the 20-30% hit that you get as soon as you drive off the lot. NEVER finance for 7 years. There was a money counselor on the radio for 20 plus years. He always said if you can't pay it off in 4 years, then you can't afford it, he's right. Between interest and depreciation you will pay WAY MORE than the car is worth till you make your last payment.

That being said, your already into it. Don't make matters worse by trading up to a V8, putting engine mods on a credit card, etc. you can't put a blower on a car you don't own, and the extended warranty will be voided. Hell the regular warranty will be voided. Go to the credit bureau ASAP and find out if they can help. We financed our Cobra through our Credit Bureau. Because it was a 96 the most we could get was $8000 at 4.9% interest. We took it, and have a payment of $230 for 36 months. We pay an extra $30 on the principal every month and will have it paid off 9 months early.

Credit bureaus will finance a new car at 2.29-2.49% for up to 5 years. I agree see if you can get out of the extended warranty. Probably not by now. But do whatever you can to get out of 10% interest, that's what's killing you.

Build up your credit by making your payments on time every month and DONT get a credit card, it's the fastest way to bad credit. My daughter who is 25 and who made some real bad car purchases, cleaned up her credit, has great credit now and just bought a brand new Subaru for 0.0% interest plus a great price because it's a 2013 and the 2014's are out.

I'm not preaching to you, just trying to help you out. I went through bankruptcy 15 years ago because of medical problems, it took us 10 years to build good credit again.

I save $25 every paycheck in a drawer at home. It's my money to do whatever I want. Also every Christmas, Birthday, Father's day you name it when people ask what do I want, I say cash for car parts. I just put $750 worth of mods into our Cobra, all cash. It took me a year to save it, but it didn't hurt a bit when I spent it. Now I'm saving for suspension mods.

Good luck, I hope you can refinance. If your parents or a brother, sister, grandparent are nice enough to consign, make sure you make the payments and take care of the car, don't wreck it, don't trash it up, don't get big tickets and points.

I highly suggest you buy or get at the library a book on money and budgeting by Dave Ramsey. Also Suzy Ormon is another great guide to building great money habits.

FYI, When I was 21 and newly married I went out to buy a record, an LP. saw the then new 82 HO, GT Mustang. Had no rest in my *** till I bought one. I had a nice Saab that I loved, that my parents helped me buy, no payments. I bought the new Gt, with T-tops, TRX suspension, etc. brand new $11,200. economy sucked then, I paid Ford Credit 15% interest. I'm all
Proud took it home to show my dad, he was not happy. As a parent now, I understand. He loved me and didn't want to see me in debt. I did exactly what you did, except I financed for 5 years.

One last thing, don't worry about modding your engine. My 96 SVT Cobra has 305 horsepower. The 66 Shelby GT-350 had 305 horsepower. So 306 from a V6 is plenty of power!
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #46
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Didn't take time to read the whole thing. Here is advice from a 52 year old who's seen it all. I've owned many cars in my life. Worst experience ever was a lease. I paid the lease payments for 5 years, then because I was way over on the mileage I had to buy it or pay a big penalty. The penalty was same as buying it. I essentially paid for it 2x.

Best advice for future is don't buy a new car, let someone else take the 20-30% hit that you get as soon as you drive off the lot. NEVER finance for 7 years. There was a money counselor on the radio for 20 plus years. He always said if you can't pay it off in 4 years, then you can't afford it, he's right. Between interest and depreciation you will pay WAY MORE than the car is worth till you make your last payment.

That being said, your already into it. Don't make matters worse by trading up to a V8, putting engine mods on a credit card, etc. you can't put a blower on a car you don't own, and the extended warranty will be voided. Hell the regular warranty will be voided. Go to the credit bureau ASAP and find out if they can help. We financed our Cobra through our Credit Bureau. Because it was a 96 the most we could get was $8000 at 4.9% interest. We took it, and have a payment of $230 for 36 months. We pay an extra $30 on the principal every month and will have it paid off 9 months early.

Credit bureaus will finance a new car at 2.29-2.49% for up to 5 years. I agree see if you can get out of the extended warranty. Probably not by now. But do whatever you can to get out of 10% interest, that's what's killing you.

Build up your credit by making your payments on time every month and DONT get a credit card, it's the fastest way to bad credit. My daughter who is 25 and who made some real bad car purchases, cleaned up her credit, has great credit now and just bought a brand new Subaru for 0.0% interest plus a great price because it's a 2013 and the 2014's are out.

I'm not preaching to you, just trying to help you out. I went through bankruptcy 15 years ago because of medical problems, it took us 10 years to build good credit again.

I save $25 every paycheck in a drawer at home. It's my money to do whatever I want. Also every Christmas, Birthday, Father's day you name it when people ask what do I want, I say cash for car parts. I just put $750 worth of mods into our Cobra, all cash. It took me a year to save it, but it didn't hurt a bit when I spent it. Now I'm saving for suspension mods.

Good luck, I hope you can refinance. If your parents or a brother, sister, grandparent are nice enough to consign, make sure you make the payments and take care of the car, don't wreck it, don't trash it up, don't get big tickets and points.

I highly suggest you buy or get at the library a book on money and budgeting by Dave Ramsey. Also Suzy Ormon is another great guide to building great money habits.

FYI, When I was 21 and newly married I went out to buy a record, an LP. saw the then new 82 HO, GT Mustang. Had no rest in my *** till I bought one. I had a nice Saab that I loved, that my parents helped me buy, no payments. I bought the new Gt, with T-tops, TRX suspension, etc. brand new $11,200. economy sucked then, I paid Ford Credit 15% interest. I'm all
Proud took it home to show my dad, he was not happy. As a parent now, I understand. He loved me and didn't want to see me in debt. I did exactly what you did, except I financed for 5 years.

One last thing, don't worry about modding your engine. My 96 SVT Cobra has 305 horsepower. The 66 Shelby GT-350 had 305 horsepower. So 306 from a V6 is plenty of power!
Sounds like Clark Howard
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post
How long have you had the V6? Not that it matters, but you dont have to wait any specific time period to refi. I would suggest you do it ASAP as 10% is robbery. I also suggest that you seek a credit union near you as they have much more favorable rates.

Also, if you have had the car a short time and are already tired of it, you might be within a window to cancel the extended warranty. They are nothing but a huge profit center for the dealers. Not all extended warranties are bad, but most of them are. It makes no difference to you as it seems you will not keep the car into the time period or mileage covered. Why carry this cost if it is of no potential benefit for you...

Gap insurance is also something you should not be in a position to need. You are in too much car for your budget and GAP insurance is just the salt in the wound of an artificially high payment. When you refi, put down some money so that you will not need it the gap, if available.

Bottom line - you are being hosed. Nobody held a gun to your head and you allowed yourself to be put in this position. Hopefully you can make some changes to decrease the pain a bit or you will have to chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

I am not preaching but we have all had to learn these types of lessons. Good luck.
10% isn't bad at all. It definitely isn't good at all either lol.

Most bad credit loans roar up to 20-28 percent. 10% is below average but certainly he could do worse.

Although, I had less than great credit and got my Mustang used (which is higher interest) at 4% through my credit union.

That being said, I agree, you buy the car at will.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

[REDACTED]
Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

^This could turn bad. Lets hope no one hangs on one thing.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
^This could turn bad. Lets hope no one hangs on one thing.
What could turn bad about it?

I wasnt calling anyone out, just giving another point of view about credit
Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas View Post
What could turn bad about it?

I wasnt calling anyone out, just giving another point of view about credit
It is none of my business and I will not express an opinion, just wanted to say that to you since if you've noticed there are repeat offenders in veering threads waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy off course on this forum

Start talking about credit, end up defending your desire to have a farm with komodo dragons.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is none of my business and I will not express an opinion, just wanted to say that to you since if you've noticed there are repeat offenders in veering threads waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy off course on this forum

Start talking about credit, end up defending your desire to have a farm with komodo dragons.
In that case I understand.

I would hope everyone can be adult...
Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thinking about it, I TOTALLY agree with you on it possibly getting picked apart, etc.

Lets see if I can delete it, or at least Redact it
Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas View Post
In that case I understand.

I would hope everyone can be adult...
Anyway, credit is often based on how much a sucker you look like walking in. If a dealer is churning customers over to banks on ****ty rates, that bank will over the course of time approve more and more folks regardless of credit based on volume, while stiffing everyone with 15% + interest along the way.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #55

Region: New Jersey
Be happy its a car you want to drive. I made this same mistake with a car I hated 6 months after I bought it. Ive been paying it off for a couple years now and finally can sell it for more than its worth (and get another mustang naturally) Don't sweat it, we all make mistakes. Ill just know how to say "no" this time around when he offers me a terrible rate instead of staring at the car through the window and signing away haha
Coppertone82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who said its worth it? I'm simply saying its a mistake that CAN BE CORRECTED by refinancing it's not the end of the world. Obviously I didn't have a co signer like some more fortunate ppl. If I did I'm sure I could have gotten 6% interest or better. Due to minor discrepancies or lack of credit this is what I was offered by most banks. My purchase was in no way shape or form perfect but, i know plenty of ppl with LOWER interest rates that will end up paying more for their car because they didnt get a good price on their vehicle. So im just being open a honest about my experience. If you come here to blast take negative comment elsewhere.
No need to justify it. You were ok with it it at the time and there are ways out. Not everyone's situation is the same. I love all the infallible experts on credit here. You'll be fine. If you can afford it, then you have time to create better options. There IS some good advice here.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Forgot to mention I bought an extended warranty on top of the 7yr and gap which puts me over $400 a month...
You can cancel that gap insurance and get a refund for it. Dealers and salespeople make a big commission from selling gap. Cancel it and go buy some yourself...
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
10% is nutz
Naut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you can possibly cancel it, i think you have X days to remove it with no penalty, also you can cash it in usually based on time you had it and if you used it etc.

You can always buy it later if you keep the car, if they sell you the extended plan they get commission etc on it so they may not want to take it back but dont give in
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

This thread made me feel like I didn't get ripped off too bad..
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion