bbk throttle body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #1

Region: Kansas
bbk throttle body

Hi all am planning on buying bbk throttle body from American muscle just wanted to get a feedback if it's worth it thanks
rajeev2liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev2liz View Post
Hi all am planning on buying bbk throttle body from American muscle just wanted to get a feedback if it's worth it thanks
Depends on your other mods. If you don't have many mods, then you won't see much change and it may not be worth it.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Rajeev,

Yes an Aftermarket throttle body is definitely worth it, however it really depends on the plans you have for your car! On a basically stock car a throttle body won't show huge gains, it's a platform mod. The more modifications you add to your Mustang the more beneficial gains you'll start to see!

Getting air into the engine faster is always really important so even on a basic bolt on car you'll notice a small increase in power, torque and throttle response!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some further assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Do you plan on getting headers and x pipe? If not, the throttle body is a total waste of 400 dollars. You can suck a bit more air into the engine but you can only push the air out so much and fast with the restrictive manifolds and cats.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Do you plan on getting headers and x pipe? If not, the throttle body is a total waste of 400 dollars. You can suck a bit more air into the engine but you can only push the air out so much and fast with the restrictive manifolds and cats.
So what your saying is I have an o/r h pipe with no cats on it of course so would it be with upgrading the throttle body and if so what size? And I have a cai
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post

So what your saying is I have an o/r h pipe with no cats on it of course so would it be with upgrading the throttle body and if so what size? And I have a cai
So since you have the off road H pipe , you must have it connected to your factory manifolds or shorty headers which in either case your not going to see any power or performance gains which are both the same when it comes to performance.

Do you have a 5.0, 3.7, 4.6 engine? I have the 3.7 and was thinking of doing the BBK throttle body. I started doing research about this and what I learned from this and other mustang forums was majority of people were not a fan of the throttle body. I had learned the large majority of people did not feel the 400 dollars for the throttle body was worth it for the minimal gains they received.

I personally do not have a throttle body and cannot comment on my own personal experience with this after market modification. With that being said I am just passing on information I have learned through research about the throttle body.

I guess it really depends on the application in which you use your Mustang for. Are you constantly taking it to the track where every tenth of second subtraction of time means the difference between a win or a loss.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

So since you have the off road H pipe , you must have it connected to your factory manifolds or shorty headers which in either case your not going to see any power or performance gains which are both the same when it comes to performance.

Do you have a 5.0, 3.7, 4.6 engine? I have the 3.7 and was thinking of doing the BBK throttle body. I started doing research about this and what I learned from this and other mustang forums was majority of people were not a fan of the throttle body. I had learned the large majority of people did not feel the 400 dollars for the throttle body was worth it for the minimal gains they received.

I personally do not have a throttle body and cannot comment on my own personal experience with this after market modification. With that being said I am just passing on information I have learned through research about the throttle body.

I guess it really depends on the application in which you use your Mustang for. Are you constantly taking it to the track where every tenth of second subtraction of time means the difference between a win or a loss.
Yea I have a 94 gt 5.0 that has oem shorty headers and yea I know what you mean I would never pay 400 dollars for a tb lol I was thinking of trying to use an explorer tb which I think is bigger then the one I have I think I know you have a brand new car so ur probably not big on doing cheap mods lol so to sum up the original post I think you should spend that 400 on something else
Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea I have a 94 gt 5.0 that has oem shorty headers and yea I know what you mean I would never pay 400 dollars for a tb lol I was thinking of trying to use an explorer tb which I think is bigger then the one I have I think I know you have a brand new car so ur probably not big on doing cheap mods lol so to sum up the original post I think you should spend that 400 on something else
Lol. I have an 11 sixer and I think the factory throttle body size is 68mm. The BBK throttle body for the 11 is 73mm and its like 400 bucks. Actually, a 68 mm is a nice big throttle body size already and wonder what the Gt's throttle body size was back in 94. My buddy has a 96 Trans Am and his after market throttle body was no where near the size of my factory stock throttle body. Lol.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You can use an Explorer throttle body on it, I think it is about 5 MM bigger. I'm pretty sure the linkage is different though, you may want to do a little research to see how to get the throttle cable to hook up to it correctly or if you just do a direct swap of the linkage(which I think is what you do)
Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Lol. I have an 11 sixer and I think the factory throttle body size is 68mm. The BBK throttle body for the 11 is 73mm and its like 400 bucks. Actually, a 68 mm is a nice big throttle body size already and wonder what the Gt's throttle body size was back in 94. My buddy has a 96 Trans Am and his after market throttle body was no where near the size of my factory stock throttle body. Lol.
Iam pretty sure the stock one is 65mm and yea if you get a wicked big throttle body it will most likely cause some throttle lag
Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The first mods I did was a CIA by airrad, bbk x pipe, flow master cat back, sct tuner, and the bbk throttle body. You can fit the stock tb into the bbk it's sick. The throttle response is much better with the bbk. I'm thinking of upgrading my injectors but not sure if it will benefit me right now.
Tomiboy0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
You can use an Explorer throttle body on it, I think it is about 5 MM bigger. I'm pretty sure the linkage is different though, you may want to do a little research to see how to get the throttle cable to hook up to it correctly or if you just do a direct swap of the linkage(which I think is what you do)
Yea I know a lot of guys on here do the full swap the tb and the intake what are your thoughts on doing something like that? Do you think it will be hard?

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy0318 View Post
The first mods I did was a CIA by airrad, bbk x pipe, flow master cat back, sct tuner, and the bbk throttle body. You can fit the stock tb into the bbk it's sick. The throttle response is much better with the bbk. I'm thinking of upgrading my injectors but not sure if it will benefit me right now.
If you upgrade your injectors Iam pretty sure you have to Chang your maf to work with the injectors
Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Iam pretty sure the stock one is 65mm and yea if you get a wicked big throttle body it will most likely cause some throttle lag
Perhaps it is a 65 mm. For some reason I thought it was 68 mm. Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the throttle body connected to the intake which shoves the air into the headers, x pipe, down out to the exhaust. Even if you put a larger throttle body on, the factory intake is no bigger. At least for the 11 plus v6 model, there is not a bigger intake available at the preset time . In my conclusion, why spend the 400 dollars on a throttle body that takes in more air and yet the intake is not bigger. Seems to me that until one can buy a larger intake to help the air flow faster and more into the headers, then don't bother buying a bigger throttle body.
Perhaps the HP and torque gains would be much better if there was a larger intake connected to the larger throttle body
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Perhaps it is a 65 mm. For some reason I thought it was 68 mm. Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the throttle body connected to the intake which shoves the air into the headers, x pipe, down out to the exhaust. Even if you put a larger throttle body on, the factory intake is no bigger. At least for the 11 plus v6 model, there is not a bigger intake available at the preset time . In my conclusion, why spend the 400 dollars on a throttle body that takes in more air and yet the intake is not bigger. Seems to me that until one can buy a larger intake to help the air flow faster and more into the headers, then don't bother buying a bigger throttle body.
Perhaps the HP and torque gains would be much better if there was a larger intake connected to the larger throttle body
That is a good way to look at it but a tb by itself will help but when getting a better intake with it is even better and that's what Iam planning on doing with the explorer intake it is a cheap mod to get some easy power for these old 5.0 and in your case it will be very hard to find a better intake right now for your car but I bet some company is working on making one for you guys
Old 03-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That is a good way to look at it but a tb by itself will help but when getting a better intake with it is even better and that's what Iam planning on doing with the explorer intake it is a cheap mod to get some easy power for these old 5.0 and in your case it will be very hard to find a better intake right now for your car but I bet some company is working on making one for you guys
If I'm not mistaken, I recently read an article that someone is trying to or is in the process of developing an aftermarket intake for the 11 plus v6
Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
I bought the BBK from American muscle and it is an awesome Throttle body for sure. It was one of my few mods I have done and did its part very well.
PACK3NPANDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
I sent you a PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I would consider this product if it was around 170 dollars, however not at 400.00 dollars. I'm sure you get some HP gains but I'm not convinced its that noticeable of power gains for the money BBK is asking. I might buy a pre owned one for 150 and try it out at that price.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #19

Region: Kansas
Thanks I got a k&n cold air intake and I have plans of putting true dual exhaust in the future
rajeev2liz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion