Mustang Evolution Forum banner

learning to drive stick

984 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sonicpony03 
#1 ·
So im learning how to drive stick. Not working out so good. Im fine at shifting 1-3, haven't tried 4 or 5 yet because of lack space for practice. My BIG issue is when im on a hill. I live in West Virginia and there aren't many flat areas lol which could lead to problems lol. Basically im asking how long it took for yall to get use to driving stick.

#2 ·
once you get the hang of where your clutch releases you're set. so, when you aren't on a hill, maybe practice learning where exactly in your clutch pedals travel your clutch actually engages.

#3 ·
It will take everyone a different amount of time to get completely used to their manual. I drove a 92 S-10 for about 5 months, and never killed it. I started looking at manual cars, and killed almost all of them before I got outa the parking lot! If this is a car you'll be driving a lot, then just give it time. Once you get on the road, you'll get used to the feel, and you'll know your limits a lot better.

#6 ·
Well at first I sucked. And then my grandpa took me to a parking lot and just made me start and stop and I learned in like 5mins. On hills put your foot on the brake and let the clutch go until you feel it as when you release the brake you'll stay. It just takes some practice! I'm 16 and learned pretty fast and when I got my mustang it was like a march made in heaven. Lol. Best car I can drive stick so far. Don't worry it just takes practice! Goodluck :D

#11 ·
As said it just takes practice. The first manual vehicle I ever drove was an 03 Screaming Yellow Mach 1 when I was 15...didn't stall it once, fricken epic day that was.

Then I drove a 3.0 Ranger and stalled the f*cker every other day :lol:

When I'm on a hill on my bike I basically do what Colton said. Use that brake until you release the clutch just past it's friction point and then slowly release the brake. The natural momentum from the clutch alongside some steady but light acceleration will get you going with very little if any rollback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.