Paranoid About my Clutch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Paranoid About my Clutch

I started driving my mustang in November. Its my first car, an 02 GT, and since its my first car its alo my first manual. I can drive pretty well but I'm always paranoid about the clutch breaking (I'm paranoid about everything on my car). I was wondering if I was taking off properly and if you guys had any tips for taking off. When I go to take off/launch I rev my rpms up to about 1100 and then start engaging the clutch. I hold the clutch when it starts to grab, and wait till I get rolling before I release it. Sometimes its a smooth launch and sometimes I roll a bit, the rpms die down, and then I get rolling again. Am I doing this correctly?
ccabral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Also, when I press the clutch in to shift from first to second, there is a slight whining noise while I'm still in first with the clutch disengaged. The noise goes away as soon as I'm in neutral and it doesn't happen in any other gears.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
That's a good start for sure, I've only been driving manual for about 2 years now so I know there are far more experienced people here than me, but I started learning by feeling for where the clutch engages and giving it gas after that. Then moving on to letting the clutch out as you give it gas to create a smooth transition. Hopefully this makes some sense? I'm not always good at explaining, maybe someone else wil l add on to this
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sounds right for a beginner.....youlllearn your release point better as you go, you shouldnt have to rev at all, froma stop im already about halfway off my clutchpedal when ipress the gas, and I have a smoothtake off everytime,its all about your release point
Lovely97cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just worried that it is burning the clutch too much. I'm probably just too paranoid about it
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You probably are, but unless your launchingyour car, you shoud be fine...

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

I did the same thing your doing when I started...never hurt the clutch perse, but after I really figured out what I was doing, I replaced minejust for piece of mind

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

If your having trouble with hills, learn ur release point/throttle on an uphill drive way....helped me out tons!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Until recently, I hadn't owned a manual transmission for more than twenty years. I actually became a little rusty, and I learned to drive in a stick. Lol. It sounds like you're doing fine. If you really want to get a feel for where the clutch is engaging the flywheel, go to a flat parking lot and practice slooowwly letting out the clutch and getting the car moving without touching the gas pedal. Once you get that down it will really improve your confidence. Don't worry about the clutch. They all wear out eventually. Enjoy the car!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on that.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion