How many have a rear seat delete kit? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
How many have a rear seat delete kit?

We have a 96 Cobra. Since its extremely uncomfortable and unsafe in the back seat, no one ever rides there. It's always just my wife and I taking turns driving our baby. I'd like to get the rear seat delete kit. Wondering how many of you have opted to delete the rear seat. What's the quality like of the kits? What are you really getting for your $$$$ ? Is anyone better quality than the others. My wife is against it because she wants to keep our Cobra as original as possible. But for every mod I've done, non are non reversible, and I keep all of the original parts all wrapped up in safe storage, including the original exhaust in case a future owner wants to take it back to factory specs. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had my backseats removed, but I had a custom box installed in place of the seats. I have some pics on my profile, feel free to take a look at 'em.
Guirguisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
On my 06, I removed every single piece of hardware associated with the rear seats, and continued into the trunk area. I bought a piece of fabric and laid it over the opening and that is it. I did not one to negate some of the weight savings with an actual delete kit.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Here is mine I made and I removed rear belts too.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
Looks great, what did you make it out of? Is it bolted in or just sitting there? Thanks, Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Here's mine from mmr. The quality is good, the carpet is really nice and the unit is made of plywood and has a total weight of less than 8lbs opposed to the 50 from the entire rear seat including brackets and the seat belts. If you go ahead and get it please remove the seat belts, it looks funky with them in. I also recommend picking up interior clips off ebay since its like $4 for a 100, and you will likely strip some or just cut some out. The only negative is the plywood on the back is slightly warped due to how thin it is. I made a bracket to mount the rear to the car inside the trunk, and the bottom stays in place on its own. The rear doesn't need a bracket as the top part sits behind the headrest thing, but I did since I didn't use the headrest tabs. Overall I'm happy I did the mod. Here's a pic. I can take more and show you what different things I did to make it come out better than what the instructions they give will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-266446370.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	101886   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-662356773.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	541.5 KB
ID:	101887  

1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Rosco, thanks for posting that. Did it come with the Cobra Logo? Also does it vibrate from the subwoofer? I don't want to add any squeaks or vibrations about it. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
Looks good man. How long did it take and what's the material/installed with?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Looks great, what did you make it out of? Is it bolted in or just sitting there? Thanks, Dave
I made mine from thick cardboard stock. Then I used rolled auto carpet from Autozone. I glued it to the cardboard. I used velcro to secure it in the front of the RSD.

The hardest part was trimming it to size that took a few hours. The back section uses the stock bolt location from the original seat.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Rosco, thanks for posting that. Did it come with the Cobra Logo? Also does it vibrate from the subwoofer? I don't want to add any squeaks or vibrations about it. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
The cobra on the back part is a patch. I just stuck the loop side? of velcro on the patch since the carpet is the other part. The sub hasn't caused any vibrations to the rsd. Since the plywood is wrapped on all the edges with carpet it insulates it from causing noises.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Anyone notice any performance gains?
StangReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I have the rear seat delete kit for my 06 from American muscle. I really like it for the year I've had it, but the wood is a little too flimsy I think. It is pretty sturdy when installed tho The carpet matches well and my car lost 40 pounds.
goat8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangReaper View Post
Anyone notice any performance gains?
Ive noticed car is quicker off the line and stops better and has improved in the corners too.

I prolly shed a few hundred pounds out of mine over the years.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I will go ahead and do a seat delete myself, you can get all the parts at Home Depot to make one.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ever think we do all of these things to lighten up your car, then add one passenger and you just undid all of that. Hell for me, the best place to start is for me personally to lose the weight, not LOL. I want to do the rear seat delete for that early Shelby GT-350 look. Also in our case, no one ever sits back there. My wife doesn't want anyone back there because she feels it's very unsafe, plus it's quite uncomfortable. Looking back in the 70's I had at least 2-3 friends in the back of my 68 or 70 Mustang, probably not wearing seatbelts. I will say I've been driving Mustangs since 76, I had 6 Stangs over 37 years and knock on wood, never had an accident in any of them. Despite some spirited driving. My 70 fastback had a 4 point padded rollbar. It discouraged people from sitting in the back. It made for a tight, but safe fit in the front seats.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Ever think we do all of these things to lighten up your car, then add one passenger and you just undid all of that. Hell for me, the best place to start is for me personally to lose the weight, not LOL. I want to do the rear seat delete for that early Shelby GT-350 look. Also in our case, no one ever sits back there. My wife doesn't want anyone back there because she feels it's very unsafe, plus it's quite uncomfortable. Looking back in the 70's I had at least 2-3 friends in the back of my 68 or 70 Mustang, probably not wearing seatbelts. I will say I've been driving Mustangs since 76, I had 6 Stangs over 37 years and knock on wood, never had an accident in any of them. Despite some spirited driving. My 70 fastback had a 4 point padded rollbar. It discouraged people from sitting in the back. It made for a tight, but safe fit in the front seats.
+1 like. Well said, sir. Glad you've been such a pony-lover.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Everything improves well except traction lol. Also much louder inside for me. The passenger weight argument is true mathematically but in life most of us have the passenger anyway, so weight is still saved. Also, at the track, no passenger, no rear, works well but has to be complete meaning take all the hardware out as well. The savings are not super big but shaving weight here and there helps a lot if that is the goal. But, if you have a huge blower, then it doesn't matter hehe

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion