Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How many miles do you have on your mustang, and what year?

108K views 1K replies 526 participants last post by  audioAl 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 v6 57,000

#654 ·
Did you not see my miles on mine. It has had nothing done to the motor or transmission, and it is a auto. I just drove it from Knoxville Tennessee to myrtle Beach and the oil never moved on the dip stick. It is sitting on 209,974 now I will hit 210,000 tomorrow. And I plan on running it through the quarter mile several times Thursday at darlington.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#655 ·
Hell yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#656 ·
Ok boys and girls by the time I drive out of the condo complex we are in my babie will hit 210,000 and 5w30 works just fine.

Attachments

#657 ·
Awesome! I sure hope my 10 model holds up that long. I plan on it being around for quite some time. Love to see these cars with high mileage, gives me much hope :thumb:

#663 ·
Just hit 63,000 miles on my 13 v6! Loving every mile of it.

Whoever says you can't go back to blend after switching to full synthetic is wrong. Oil is interchangeable. However, because of wear profiles id chose a brand you trust and weight recommended by the owners manual and stick with it. I use M1 or Castrol Syntec. Full synthetics purpose is to last longer, so changing at 3,000 won't hurt but the oil just 'broke in'. 5,000 miles on full synthetic in a pre-11 and up to 10,000 miles after 2011. The engines are cleaner and haver closer tolerances so the 5-20 is what I'd use.

If your concerned a UOA is always helpful and fun to share!

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling? That means something bad is about to happen...

#664 ·
I am sorry but I saw a BMW that changed from full synthetic to regular oil and he was warned and after his first oil change all was fine and he threw it in the mechanics face. Between the first and second oil change it started leaking oil really bad. He ended up spending almost 7 grand getting every gasket in the motor changed. You do what you want but I would never use regular oil after going full synthetic. Here is proof that 5w30 want hurt one. Oh and the BMW only had 20,000 miles on it, so it was not time for it to start leaking.

Attachments

#665 ·
To start this is in response to the incalculable number of oil threads out there and is meant for informing the otherwise ignorant. I mean no personal offense.

I had a BMW, they are factory spec'd to FULL synthetic with LL01 or equivalent. 0-30GC or 0-40M1 are the only OTC oils appropriate for BMW. Our engines on the other hand have much lower clearances and a different gasket material. Almost all 5-20 meets spec for 2011+ and 5-30 for prior, excluding cobra and gt500.

The base of oil will not itself cause leaking, facts and careful observation will prove this.

The BMW owner did not follow factory recommendations and paid for it. Also BMW has a 15,000 mi OCI, which can cause any non-synthetic to breakdown prematurely, clog the filter, varnish/gunk the passages.

As long as you follow spec for the car, weather it be full syn, syn blend, or standard the engine will be fine. Remember that the recommended oil is actually a blend BTW. No where in the manual does it say do not switch between syn and regular, this is an antiquated piece of knowledge from years ago perpetuated by the uninformed and backed by unsubstantiated horror stories like this one.

Now I do also suggest picking one and staying with it to set a wear pattern, but switching in itself hurts nothing. Except possibly cleaning a few gunked seals until the engine 'develops' a pre-existing leak.

I had an explorer with 80,000 on standard oil, switched to syn and ran regular when I couldn't afford syn. According to this story and some others my engine should be done for. The truck ran another 100,000 no problems. Clean oil is more important then quality, cheap oils just need more changing.

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling? That means something bad is about to happen...

#666 ·
That's all and good. I am just saying that 5w30 will not hurt our mustangs. If it did I wouldn't be here bragging about having 210,800 miles and I still run it just as hard as anytime I have had it. Just drove it to mustang week in Myrtle Beach put 1600 miles on it. I played a lot over there turned over 6 thousand ram's several times and it is still going strong. If you want to stick with 5w20 then by all means do so. If you decide to go to 5w30 after 100,000 miles like I did it WILL NOT HURT IT.

#667 ·
Well as far as repair work since I bought the car off the showroom, I replaced the intake 5 years ago due to a crack. I had to put in a new fuel pump 4 years ago. And 7 years ago the carrier bearing in the rear end went out so I had all the bearings in the rear replaced. I just had the fluid and filter replaced in the trans and the pan was clean as a new one, not one bit of trash or residue at all. I was amazed at that. But I do have the fluid and filter changed every 50,000 miles whether it needs it or not. Of course normal brake wear. And I replace the plugs with factory motor craft every 80,000. Oh and new shocks. That's about it.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#681 ·
96GT, 124,000. Rebuilt at 110,000 because of a noise that sounded like a B B bouncing around inside of the running motor. Turned out to be the D side timing chain adjuster failed. Im looking forward to hitting 300,000 someday. Especially since i did the rebuild myself and I trust my work. First 4.6 rebuild. Seemed difficult at first. But now it seens like the easiest thing in the world to do. ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.