Oil changing/kind - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Oil changing/kind

Just wondering if you guys change your own oil? Or do you trust a oil certified company ( ex: Lube-X ) to do your oil changes, and what kind of oil do you use?
Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I do my own. Only full synthetic every 3k for me. The manual recommends about 5k i believe but not 100%. Either way i don't trust people messing with my car even with oil changes haha.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I always do my own oil changes (the perks of working at a dealership) I don't trust anybody not touch my car other than like two people that I work with. If I did have somebody do it I would take it to a dealer and watch the lube techs the whole time. I run 6 quarts of Royal Purple 5W20 with a Motorcraft filter.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I do my own. Only full synthetic every 3k for me. The manual recommends about 5k i believe but not 100%. Either way i don't trust people messing with my car even with oil changes haha.
Right, what kind of oil, like brand name?

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
I always do my own oil changes (the perks of working at a dealership) I don't trust anybody not touch my car other than like two people that I work with. If I did have somebody do it I would take it to a dealer and watch the lube techs the whole time. I run 6 quarts of Royal Purple 5W20 with a Motorcraft filter.
Ya that's what I've been thinking lately, had it done last time and wasnt fond of it. How is royal purple? I've heard it's one of the best!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Ya that's what I've been thinking lately, had it done last time and wasnt fond of it. How is royal purple? I've heard it's one of the best!
I dont have just one brand of oil. Just whatever has the best fully synthetic deal. But i use the k&n filter and havent had any issues.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's great I guess. I know it's one of the top performers, I just haven't really read up on it though
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I dont have just one brand of oil. Just whatever has the best fully synthetic deal. But i use the k&n filter and havent had any issues.
Right. Is there a big different when using full synthetic?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Quote:

It's great I guess. I know it's one of the top performers, I just haven't really read up on it though
Do you use a specific kind of oil filter? Or does that not matter?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind

Theres a couple videos that I've seen about the filters, I usually use the Fram Tough Guard or High Mileage ones and I havent had any problems

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

FL820S Motorcraft filter. Been using them since I bought the car.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Id suggest using full syn. Unless you have a real high mileage car, then dont tend to work as well because synthetic is a thinner oil.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Id suggest using full syn. Unless you have a real high mileage car, then dont tend to work as well because synthetic is a thinner oil.
I've got around 227k on my car so it's getting high 😥 would it be a good idea to switch? And would I notice engine performance? Like would I notice it's running smoother after a while?

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Quote:

FL820S Motorcraft filter. Been using them since I bought the car.
Ya, there's no problems to switching between oil and filters each time is there?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
as long as you're not switching to and from synthetic I dont think so

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Switching oils can cause problems mostly when going back and forth from synthetic to regular oil. Switching filters isn't as bad. I just trust the Motorcraft filter more the Fram and K&N filters.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Mobil 1 5w20 every 3,000 miles with a Mobil 1 filter. It's so easy to do it yourself, takes me about 20-30 minutes plus you get to see what your oil looks like. Speaking of filters most of the major brands are made by Champ Labs i.e Mobil, Fram, Royal Purple, K&N, STP, TRD, Mopar, VW, Champ and about 10 other brands.
Silver06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I will say from experience working in an oil shop for years...there isn't an issue swapping back and forth nowadays between synthetics and conventionals. The main differences between the two types anyways are detergent amounts. My cars get what ever the best special is each change. Never had an issue...never had a leak..don't even have the notorious ticking lifter most talk about. As for running smoother if u want to do that consider dropping ur oil pan and cleaning out all the gunk that's built up...it will be there considering your miles.

However I will say stay away from quaker state....I've seen way to many motors full of gunk and it seems they all run the stuff.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I change mine every 3k. Motorcraft filter, mobil 1 full synthetic, and a bottle of zmax
Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I change mine every 3k. Motorcraft filter, mobil 1 full synthetic, and a bottle of zmax
+1 every 3k miles, motor craft filter, mobil 1 full synthetic, and bottle of seafoam...I've always wondered about zmax it's like 20$ bucks a bottle by me
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Switching oils can cause problems mostly when going back and forth from synthetic to regular oil. Switching filters isn't as bad. I just trust the Motorcraft filter more the Fram and K&N filters.
Ya ok, we'll that's also what I use, is the motorcraft and I have Also had no problems and seems fine.

---------- Post added at 06:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I will say from experience working in an oil shop for years...there isn't an issue swapping back and forth nowadays between synthetics and conventionals. The main differences between the two types anyways are detergent amounts. My cars get what ever the best special is each change. Never had an issue...never had a leak..don't even have the notorious ticking lifter most talk about. As for running smoother if u want to do that consider dropping ur oil pan and cleaning out all the gunk that's built up...it will be there considering your miles.

However I will say stay away from quaker state....I've seen way to many motors full of gunk and it seems they all run the stuff.
Is that a hard job to drop the oil pan and clean it? Oh, quaker state is what I typically use because they usually have good deals on what I thought was "good oil" so what do you use for oil?

---------- Post added at 06:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 AM ----------

Quote:
What is zmax? And what does it do?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Its quite a job to remove the oil pan. I installed a new one a while ago. Motor has to be lifted and supported, then the crossmember has to be move to have enough room to get it out. I have acces to a lift so it was fairly easy. Without one I'm sure it would be a bloody nightmare.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Zmax is a micro lubricant. Helps clean out gunk and protect. Ive seen the results on a couple motors we've had apart before using it and after. It works, and I use it in all three of my vehicles.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its quite a job to remove the oil pan. I installed a new one a while ago. Motor has to be lifted and supported, then the crossmember has to be move to have enough room to get it out. I have acces to a lift so it was fairly easy. Without one I'm sure it would be a bloody nightmare.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Zmax is a micro lubricant. Helps clean out gunk and protect. Ive seen the results on a couple motors we've had apart before using it and after. It works, and I use it in all three of my vehicles.
You add zmax to the oil every oil change?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, religiously in all my cars. Combined with a seafoam every other oil change at least. Last time we had my 3.8 apart it looked new.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh, so doing an oil pan isn't a "garage job" then. Maybe I'll pass, hopefully I'll get a new car soon lol. So how do I use Zmax? I just buy a bottle of it and throw it in with my oil? Or what. And would you consider I star using it?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh, so doing an oil pan isn't a "garage job" then. Maybe I'll pass, hopefully I'll get a new car soon lol. So how do I use Zmax? I just buy a bottle of it and throw it in with my oil? Or what. And would you consider I star using it?
That sir is a question you must answer for yourself, do your research, try it out yourself, very mixed feelings about it everywhere, I'd say give if a try, if it improves your car or you feel like it does than stick with it, but realizing its 20-30$ bucks a bottle, that nearly doubles the costs of yearly oil changes, there's gotta be some thinking/researching/and testing involved to be all in..
Old 05-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

That sir is a question you must answer for yourself, do your research, try it out yourself, very mixed feelings about it everywhere, I'd say give if a try, if it improves your car or you feel like it does than stick with it, but realizing its 20-30$ bucks a bottle, that nearly doubles the costs of yearly oil changes, there's gotta be some thinking/researching/and testing involved to be all in..
That's quite expensive. Maybe I'll consider it when I get a nicer and more pristine mustang considering that It's probably not overly worth it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I use castrol full synthetic and I have 202,297 miles with no problems. I can tell you once you use full synthetic you can never go back to regular oil. I have seen it first hand on a BMW . The guy ended up having to take it to the dealer and have all the gaskets replaced because it was leaking so bad. Cost him a bunch. It took two oil changes of regular oil for it to start leaking really bad. You can do what you want but I would never change back to regular oil after using fully synthetic oil.

03 Sonic Blue CONVERTIBLE W/STYLE BAR AND SPEEDSTER COVER AND 18X10W/275/35 REAR AND 18X9W/245/45 FRONT. OFF ROAD X-PIPE 40 SIERIES FLOMASTERS AND CAI.
Allans03ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allans03ragtop View Post
I use castrol full synthetic and I have 202,297 miles with no problems. I can tell you once you use full synthetic you can never go back to regular oil. I have seen it first hand on a BMW . The guy ended up having to take it to the dealer and have all the gaskets replaced because it was leaking so bad. Cost him a bunch. It took two oil changes of regular oil for it to start leaking really bad. You can do what you want but I would never change back to regular oil after using fully synthetic oil.
Hmm ok, didn't know it was that big of a problem. Thanks for the input, Im gonna use full synthetic on my next car for sure, as of my car now ill probably do full synthetic aswell depends on pricing.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I try do myself, but living at a place with no concerte ground.
So therefore I just take my car to a oil change, only with the highest reviews in town. Haha.

I would tell the guy "I know how many miles on my car. I clean my car very well. I expect it to stay it that way."
They be "don't worry. It's cool." I'm like that doesn't help at all.

Anyway, always high systenthic oil for me. $65 per change.
I always do my every 2,000 miles, regardless what the manual and people suggest.
Sometimes 4,000 if I'm not driving it hard daily.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I use Car Quest Full Synthetic Oil, which is made by Valvoline. It is highly rated, and is half the price of Royal Purple. I also use the K&n filter primarily because of the nut welded to the bottom. It makes removing the filter a breeze.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Do it myself. Nothing but Royal Purple and Ford Motorcraft filters. Although ive heard good things about Amsoil as well.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Do it myself. Nothing but Royal Purple and Ford Motorcraft filters. Although ive heard good things about Amsoil as well.
I've seen a lot of people using the ford motorcraft filters must be some prime filters, I've heard nothing wrong about them. I'd love to use royal purple but the price on it runs so high, do you notice a different using it?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've seen a lot of people using the ford motorcraft filters must be some prime filters, I've heard nothing wrong about them. I'd love to use royal purple but the price on it runs so high, do you notice a different using it?
Ford Motorcraft filters are great. I won't use anything but them. They are designed specifically for our cars, and are made from high quality materials. As far as Royal Purple goes, its a great oil. Do i notice a drivers seat difference? No, but it is a high quality product as far as protection goes. Check out American muscle if you're interested in trying it. They have both the oil and ford filter for much cheaper then you will pay in any store. Not much more then what you would pay in a chain retail store for Mobil 1.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion