Pros & Cons of GT - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Gt, V8 = mustang That's a pro!
Non Gt, V6 = mustang

Cons to V8 or V6? None, both are mustangs. Mustangs = awesome. Case closed. V6 = same body design and look as Gt, really fast and 7k less than GT. V8 = same body design as V6, really really fast, and 7k more than V6.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post
How about this. Moderators post a sticky at the top of the forum with information on how to do searches and EXPLAIN the importance of not creating multiple threads on the same topics if there are reasons why.
When I was a newbie I asked all sorts of questions that I'm sure had been asked before. But that is the fun of forums. Not just a searchable knowledge base but a way to collaborate and get ideas from fellow Mustang lovers.
It just seems lately that there are a few members that go strait to bashing questions. If you don't want to answer it then don't and move on to the next thread.
I chose ME out of all the others because it is a great forum. But the condescending and negative comments are starting to get on my fricking nerves.
+1
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Okay, I'm on my 4th Mustang and all of them have been 6ers. I'm thinking when the body style changes again I would step up to a GT which at that point it will not be my daily driver. I know people talk about high insurance and gas mileage, but I would like for someone to dig a little deeper than those obvious points. What are all the pros and cons of a GT. I expect to get a crap load of pros, but would like to hear what has to be said about the cons to. All and every input is appreciated.
The only con on owning a GT would be the power, especially a 5.0. If you are not responsible enough to handle the power don't get it because you can end up hurting yourself or someone else. Other than that everything else are pros.
Jago1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
To The Op: as you said in your earlier post all that you've driven we're V6's so I would assume you enough about them. Either test drive some V8's and find out the difference yourself. When you search for Pro's and Con's your really asking for opinions, and they only lead to people's personal preferences. If you want MORE performance you know you should get a GT, it will cost alot more but you get what you pay for. I've had a few runs with modded V6's "open streets no traffic completely safe" and they can go but I edge them out and I'm still Bone Stock underneath

I live by a saying "Less is More" but not when it comes to cars, those two extra cylinders show up big time. I come to the forum to learn as well and help where I can. I don't understand why threads blow up when we are all talking cars.
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The new GTs are very deceptive. They drive around like a regular car, easy, non-intimidating, relatively quiet and subtle (by Mustang standards) good gas mileage for the power and engine size. Get over 1/2 throttle or over 4000 rpm and it hits like an AC-130.

I'm basically stock on slicks, with Ford's Procal tune and the cars is knocking on the door of the 11s, full weight, every option but glass roof. That's strong and it's tough to argue with performance value like that.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Pros: fast, powerful, great looking, basic bolt ins make it faster and more powerful while sounding amazing.

Cons: more expensive in all categories, a money pit that continues to get bigger.

V6 pros: less expensive in all categories, still quick car with potential to be pretty fast, gas mileage for a dd,

Cons: can still be a money pit, will always see a gt on the The road and wonder if you should have bought one instead.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

We have a couple V6 guys at my local track and they have A LOT of money in their cars and, they aren't really that much faster than stock GTs. One has over $5000 in a blower kit alone, plus all the supporting stuff. Yeah, it's trapping 117 but, healthy tune + some exhaust work can pull that off on a GT, painlessly and cheaply.

It is what it is. I admire the fact they are making the junior Mustang a force to be reckoned with. Previous V6 Mustangs were downright terrible by any performance metric and could not be pushed without sizzling like Pop Rocks.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I've read the op's question twice now, how did this turn to v8 vs v6? The initial cost is the only thing that cost more. Insurance can be bought right unless your young. I pay $34.50 a month, full coverage with no deductible, no depreciation. The only con I can think of is the power, if that's possible, the car can flat get out from under you. The shifter in the gt is also a con when driving it really aggressive, not so much when driving it like a normal car.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #44
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I've read the op's question twice now, how did this turn to v8 vs v6? The initial cost is the only thing that cost more. Insurance can be bought right unless your young. I pay $34.50 a month, full coverage with no deductible, no depreciation. The only con I can think of is the power, if that's possible, the car can flat get out from under you. The shifter in the gt is also a con when driving it really aggressive, not so much when driving it like a normal car.
I guess if that's the only thing that coat more I would sell my V6 and buy another GT :S
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
This question always turn into v8s vs v6s! *shrugs* o_O
Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When you ask the pros and cons of the GT model, youll give your pros and cons on the gt. then you're going to compare them to the non gt model. Unless you're trying to compare them to other cars in its class. its difficult to have pros and cons without comparing it to another model and or car.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Let me put it to you this way, I own 2 vehicles a 1999 lexus RX- 300 suv v6 awd with 144k miles on it. it gets 18 mpg around town. My 2012 supercharged 602 hp mustang gets 18.5 mpg around town. These coyotes when properly tuned are extremely efficient, and their power potentials are enormous.. Cons ..the fact that they make a v6 model....lol!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast12 View Post
Let me put it to you this way, I own 2 vehicles a 1999 lexus RX- 300 suv v6 awd with 144k miles on it. it gets 18 mpg around town. My 2012 supercharged 602 hp mustang gets 18.5 mpg around town. These coyotes when properly tuned are extremely efficient, and their power potentials are enormous.. Cons ..the fact that they make a v6 model....lol!
Now now we all love mustangs, a Stang is a Stang bro ...
Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
is that 602 to the wheels or crank?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty simple.....there are no cons to a V8. The power is amazing and sorry if I offend any of the people with V'6 stangs but I would NEVER buy a V6. If I am gonna buy a stang it has to be a V8. Gas mileage is not bad and insurance well that all.depends on how bad of a driver you are and how old you are. IMHO. And yea you asked for opinions lol. But realistically there are many reasons why people buy V6's...and I completely understand why.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I had a v8 this morning,.....looked more tasty in the commercial. It was disappointing. That's one v8 that sucks.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro415 View Post
GT = Good Times, enough said. lol
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
OP......Unfortunately, there are 1or 2 members on here that consistently rip ones head off and shove it up their a** if they feel a question isn't worthy. That being said, I got a GT because, in the past I would settle for something less expensive but wouldn't be happy. Insurance cost vary drastically based on location, age and driving record. For me, my insurance went up $100 a year over the 1987 BMW I drove. But I am older, married and clean record. As far as fuel economy goes, I get 19-21 on my daily commute. I think that's pretty good. The BMW would get 24. My wife's V6 Lexus RX350 gets about 18 for comparison. So, yeah, the GT is more expensive over other options, but as someone pointed out, life is short....have fun. I grin from ear to ear every time I drive the 'Stang. I actually almost look forward to going to work now just because of the drive. Bang for the buck....you can't go wrong with a GT, but you gotta analyze your budget.
11RaceRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11RaceRedGT View Post
OP......Unfortunately, there are 1or 2 members on here that consistently rip ones head off and shove it up their a** if they feel a question isn't worthy. That being said, I got a GT because, in the past I would settle for something less expensive but wouldn't be happy. Insurance cost vary drastically based on location, age and driving record. For me, my insurance went up $100 a year over the 1987 BMW I drove. But I am older, married and clean record. As far as fuel economy goes, I get 19-21 on my daily commute. I think that's pretty good. The BMW would get 24. My wife's V6 Lexus RX350 gets about 18 for comparison. So, yeah, the GT is more expensive over other options, but as someone pointed out, life is short....have fun. I grin from ear to ear every time I drive the 'Stang. I actually almost look forward to going to work now just because of the drive. Bang for the buck....you can't go wrong with a GT, but you gotta analyze your budget.
+1000
Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post
How about this. Moderators post a sticky at the top of the forum with information on how to do searches and EXPLAIN the importance of not creating multiple threads on the same topics if there are reasons why.
When I was a newbie I asked all sorts of questions that I'm sure had been asked before. But that is the fun of forums. Not just a searchable knowledge base but a way to collaborate and get ideas from fellow Mustang lovers.
It just seems lately that there are a few members that go strait to bashing questions. If you don't want to answer it then don't and move on to the next thread.
I chose ME out of all the others because it is a great forum. But the condescending and negative comments are starting to get on my fricking nerves.
Agree
Old 06-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #56
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDuhl6 View Post
Lol. If your going to think that far into it get a v6
Honestly, ^this is how it should be. You either want the V8 or you don't. There is no in between. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting or having a 6'er Mustang. But, if you are trying to decide and you need help with that...get the 6'er.
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Honestly, ^this is how it should be. You either want the V8 or you don't. There is no in between. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting or having a 6'er Mustang. But, if you are trying to decide and you need help with that...get the 6'er.
Agreed. When I bought mine in late 2010 it was either all or nothing and there was no thought that maybe I should get the 6. If you have to ask just get the 6.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #58

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post

Agreed. When I bought mine in late 2010 it was either all or nothing and there was no thought that maybe I should get the 6. If you have to ask just get the 6.
I just ordered a V8, the most compelling reason was when I test drove both V6& V8 on a slight hill, I could definitely feel the difference in power and fun factor.

2014 GT Premium, Ox White, Charcoal with Cashmere Accent, Glass Top, and Rear Camera.
RevSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSpark View Post

I just ordered a V8, the most compelling reason was when I test drove both V6& V8 on a slight hill, I could definitely feel the difference in power and fun factor.
You ordered a mustang? Not cool dude.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
Pretty simple.....there are no cons to a V8. The power is amazing and sorry if I offend any of the people with V'6 stangs but I would NEVER buy a V6. If I am gonna buy a stang it has to be a V8. Gas mileage is not bad and insurance well that all.depends on how bad of a driver you are and how old you are. IMHO. And yea you asked for opinions lol. But realistically there are many reasons why people buy V6's...and I completely understand why.
No one offended here boss. If you don't like a mustang 6er, then don't buy one. I have an 11 V6 about 3500k in mods and I'm running 0-60 in around 4.6 to 4.7 consistent. That's plenty fast for me yo.

I love the V8 but not everybody needs or wants that type of power for the 7k more. It depends on what ones wants are and there goal in the vehicle. I like being the little sixer that the other big V8 musscle cars underestimate and then keep right with them even if they edge me out barley.

Having said that. The 5.0 is awesome . If I didn't currently own my 11 v6 and given my current financial position today and mustang knowledge, I would buy the 5.0. Either way I love my v6 and have NO intension in trading it up to the V8.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130608_201843.png
Views:	138
Size:	581.9 KB
ID:	112945

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130608_201859.png
Views:	144
Size:	657.3 KB
ID:	112946
Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

No one offended here boss. If you don't like a mustang 6er, then don't buy one. I have an 11 V6 about 3500k in mods and I'm running 0-60 in around 4.6 to 4.7 consistent. That's plenty fast for me yo.

I love the V8 but not everybody needs or wants that type of power for the 7k more. It depends on what ones wants are and there goal in the vehicle. I like being the little sixer that the other big V8 musscle cars underestimate and then keep right with them even if they edge me out barley.

Having said that. The 5.0 is awesome . If I didn't currently own my 11 v6 and given my current financial position today and mustang knowledge, I would buy the 5.0. Either way I love my v6 and have NO intension in trading it up to the V8.
kona blue- what are your mods?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
is that 602 to the wheels or crank?
At the wheels!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

At the wheels!!!
damn bro. that's some REAL power right there!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

I know a guy who has a 2012 v6 the motor completely forged and he has a super charger he runs 18lbs of boost 3:73 gears and with race gas he runs 12.1's with it all day long, it puts 457 hp to the rear wheels and he beats it up every chance he gets...its still running strong. If your gonna own a v-6 this is how you do it. you surprise the hell out of a few folks on the street!

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote:
damn bro. that's some REAL power right there!
Yeah its a Paxton car with 9.0 psi of boost, and i dont even have headers yet. they are on the way here next week, so that's another 25 hp!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know a guy who has a 2012 v6 the motor completely forged and he has a super charger he runs 18lbs of boost 3:73 gears and with race gas he runs 12.1's with it all day long, it puts 457 hp to the rear wheels and he beats it up every chance he gets...its still running strong. If your gonna own a v-6 this is how you do it. you surprise the hell out of a few folks on the street!
Lol forged motor- $3000-5000, super charger- $5000, 2013 v6 mustang- $27000. So $35000k not including labor or instillation on the motor and supercharger and you get 12s all day?

2013 5.0 mustang- $32000, custom tuner and tune-$400... 12s all day haha. So lets say we wanna share the $35k bill. $35000-32400 is $2600. Boss Mani and cold air intake-$1000, drag radials for stock wheels-$500, lower control arms-$200... I'll stop there at 11s all day. Save the other $900 for taking the wife out to dinner and get some appearance mods.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The only con in owning a GT is that every time I see, or am driving next to an SS, SRT8, GTO or something similar I wonder if they are thinking the same thing I am.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

kona blue- what are your mods?
91 Hybrid Tune
Airraid CAI
3:73 gears
One piece aluminium driveshaft
BBK Ceramic headers
Off road x pipe
Flowmaster force II Axel backs
Old 06-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Lol forged motor- $3000-5000, super charger- $5000, 2013 v6 mustang- $27000. So $35000k not including labor or instillation on the motor and supercharger and you get 12s all day?

2013 5.0 mustang- $32000, custom tuner and tune-$400... 12s all day haha. So lets say we wanna share the $35k bill. $35000-32400 is $2600. Boss Mani and cold air intake-$1000, drag radials for stock wheels-$500, lower control arms-$200... I'll stop there at 11s all day. Save the other $900 for taking the wife out to dinner and get some appearance mods.
Oh i forgot to say thats on street tires... Not slicks so he can run mid to high 11's on slicks
Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Yeah its a Paxton car with 9.0 psi of boost, and i dont even have headers yet. they are on the way here next week, so that's another 25 hp!
You have a beast...
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
You have a beast...
Yeah and it hooks to, the car is an animal..and still gets 18.5 mpg...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion