Pros & Cons of GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Pros & Cons of GT

Okay, I'm on my 4th Mustang and all of them have been 6ers. I'm thinking when the body style changes again I would step up to a GT which at that point it will not be my daily driver. I know people talk about high insurance and gas mileage, but I would like for someone to dig a little deeper than those obvious points. What are all the pros and cons of a GT. I expect to get a crap load of pros, but would like to hear what has to be said about the cons to. All and every input is appreciated.
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lmao.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Okay, I'm on my 4th Mustang and all of them have been 6ers. I'm thinking when the body style changes again I would step up to a GT which at that point it will not be my daily driver. I know people talk about high insurance and gas mileage, but I would like for someone to dig a little deeper than those obvious points. What are all the pros and cons of a GT. I expect to get a crap load of pros, but would like to hear what has to be said about the cons to. All and every input is appreciated.
really...did you search....we literally just had this thread. Which it seems you know based on your post....

this threads never turn out well. Always end up in flaming and we see them at least once or twice a month...
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just get a gt you'll love the upgrade.

End of story
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

really...did you search....we literally just had this thread. Which it seems you know based on your post....

this threads never turn out well. Always end up in flaming and we see them at least once or twice a month...
Lmao. I was gonna warn him but I just grabbed my :popcorn & waited patiently for the drama!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

GT = Good Times, enough said. lol
Destro415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

Lmao. I was gonna warn him but I just grabbed my :popcorn & waited patiently for the drama!
Its just rediculous to have to respond too this every few weeks Lol.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Its just rediculous to have to respond too this every few weeks Lol.
I feel u man! I was like one of these just ended less than a week ago & it wasn't pretty, as usual! Lmao.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
To the OP.. (Yes search bar) but a GT will get you lower Gass mileage on most occasions.. MAybe not by much but some.. Mix I got 21 with my 01 V6 I got 17-18 with my 01 GT.. That said yes it may be minimal but if you drive a lot (like I do) it adds up.. Also.. In theory (some with argue) with. V8=more moving parts=more chances parts fail..

Another con to a V6 performance isn't cheap.. Especially when it comes to the motor.. V8 act very diffently with mods.. And there's a lot more parts for the V8.. Also seams the mod bug hits harder spending more and more money..

Other big cons for me as a v8 and verts (of course more people will argue) is insurance went up about 60$ per month if you add that up its 720$ a year more in insurance cost.. That's a lot of modd money..

Also I go threw tires on my V8 a lot faster
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dude, I rarely come to this forum. Why you might ask, because there was no need. The basics you speak of is not what I see in this forum, it's common sense. No one ever actually explain why, just it's better. I thought this forum would be the same as the 6ers forum. Mustang enthusiast wanted to talk about a passion. Not a bash session. It's easier to point me in the direction of what I'm looking for than talk crap. I wouldn't have posted the question if I found what I was looking for
Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Gt is for more performance while six is for gas saving more power = more gas usage.
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
There is no con. If you can afford a GT, and you want performance, there's zero con. I got 26 MPG on my way to a BBQ last weekend, yes babying it, but still. Insurance depends on you and on your insurance company. Mine went up $240 a year over my Audi A4. $20 a month is nothing. It's also not my daily driver. Maitanence could be more I suppose, but again, I'm coming from a German car. There's a reason the GT costs more. It depends if you want performance or not.
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dude, I rarely come to this forum. Why you might ask, because there was no need. The basics you speak of is not what I see in this forum, it's common sense. No one ever actually explain why, just it's better. I thought this forum would be the same as the 6ers forum. Mustang enthusiast wanted to talk about a passion. Not a bash session. It's easier to point me in the direction of what I'm looking for than talk crap. I wouldn't have posted the question if I found what I was looking for
The reason I have the attitude I have, is you can't have tried very hard to learn. I mean now more than ever I am not sure what you want to know. Are we talking generic V6 vs Generic V8? Do you mean the 4.7L vs the 5.0L? Do we need to go down to the basics of how an engine works? Do we need to hold your hand through the process?

I do ask questions sometimes, yes I get stumped, but when it comes to most of my knowledge with cars, it comes from reading reading and reading and oh more reading and then some more reading. Doesn't matter from where. I started with how engines work, what is compression ratios, etc. etc. onward.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJoe8 View Post
There is no con. If you can afford a GT, and you want performance, there's zero con. I got 26 MPG on my way to a BBQ last weekend, yes babying it, but still. Insurance depends on you and on your insurance company. Mine went up $240 a year over my Audi A4. $20 a month is nothing. It's also not my daily driver. Maitanence could be more I suppose, but again, I'm coming from a German car. There's a reason the GT costs more. It depends if you want performance or not.
Saying there is no con is a biased statement.. Spending more money in any sort of way is a con.. Even yes you may be getting more power but still.. Insurance cost are a big con yes depends on company's/driving record/age extra.. But I coulda saved 300$ a year buy buying a 2007 V6.. And saying you got 26 mpg is to everyone's own.. Some people get 28 mpg out of these 2v's but I don't.. And out of a v6 if I got 4 more mpgs say times 10 gal full up that's 40 more miles that's say 7$ per fill up (I fill up once a week) 52x7 364$ per year.. Yes numbers are all hypothetical.. But assuming I save 400$ a year on gas 600$ a year on insurance and 300$ a year on tires.. That's a total of 1300$ per year.. That's big for me. And that's low balling gass savings.. No numbers arnt exact but I'm just throwing out cons because that's what he wanted.. No for someone to say there are none..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

In response to NoSympathy

My question has nothing to do with 6 vs 8. I can care less about that comparison. Just because I get a degree doesn't mean I know how to apply it to a field. I want answers from the source who has the experience and knowledge. More often than not all I see is mine is better than yours style comments. When there's 80+ comments, who's going to sit through that hoping one person might take it for what it is and give background from his/her perspective. Like the guy Sixpack did above. Knowledge IS power, but it will never trump knowledge plus experience if you get where I'm coming from
Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Personally and no offense to anyone on the form I have to agree with his statement.. People are here to learn because they don't know as much as other people. Being the reason they come to a form. If you don't want to take the time to inform him, then don't take the time to bash him.. OP I told you my opinions on cons of a GT..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

Saying there is no con is a biased statement.. Spending more money in any sort of way is a con.. Even yes you may be getting more power but still.. Insurance cost are a big con yes depends on company's/driving record/age extra.. But I coulda saved 300$ a year buy buying a 2007 V6.. And saying you got 26 mpg is to everyone's own.. Some people get 28 mpg out of these 2v's but I don't.. And out of a v6 if I got 4 more mpgs say times 10 gal full up that's 40 more miles that's say 7$ per fill up (I fill up once a week) 52x7 364$ per year.. Yes numbers are all hypothetical.. But assuming I save 400$ a year on gas 600$ a year on insurance and 300$ a year on tires.. That's a total of 1300$ per year.. That's big for me. And that's low balling gass savings.. No numbers arnt exact but I'm just throwing out cons because that's what he wanted.. No for someone to say there are none..
Lol. If your going to think that far into it get a v6
FORDuhl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Very true, hence my elaboration that if its performance you want, there's no real con. He said he wasn't daily driving of he gets a GT, so gas and tires are not close to that, tires could last years. I guess I'll say more plainly then that cost is the only possible con. Like I said, if you can afford a GT, no real con.
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To the OP.. (Yes search bar) but a GT will get you lower Gass mileage on most occasions.. MAybe not by much but some.. Mix I got 21 with my 01 V6 I got 17-18 with my 01 GT.. That said yes it may be minimal but if you drive a lot (like I do) it adds up.. Also.. In theory (some with argue) with. V8=more moving parts=more chances parts fail..

Another con to a V6 performance isn't cheap.. Especially when it comes to the motor.. V8 act very diffently with mods.. And there's a lot more parts for the V8.. Also seams the mod bug hits harder spending more and more money..

Other big cons for me as a v8 and verts (of course more people will argue) is insurance went up about 60$ per month if you add that up its 720$ a year more in insurance cost.. That's a lot of modd money..

Also I go threw tires on my V8 a lot faster
Holy crap! Up 60 per month! You must be young or have some tickets or wrecked cause I only pay 66 a month.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
My question has nothing to do with 6 vs 8. I can care less about that comparison. Just because I get a degree doesn't mean I know how to apply it to a field. I want answers from the source who has the experience and knowledge. More often than not all I see is mine is better than yours style comments. When there's 80+ comments, who's going to sit through that hoping one person might take it for what it is and give background from his/her perspective. Like the guy Sixpack did above. Knowledge IS power, but it will never trump knowledge plus experience if you get where I'm coming from
I went from a V6 to a V8 and the biggest cons are cost's like someone said if you can afford it do it.. But your cost.. Gas/insurance/tires will go up.. But as stated before no other major cons.. Most parts are somewhat cheaper.. But you can do more= more $= more power.. And a personal con.. I have a GT now I have a fast car.. I enjoyed having a V6 and making it fast
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I believe I started a thread like this a week ago cuz I was thinking of buying GT...that thread also blew up. lol
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post

Holy crap! Up 60 per month! You must be young or have some tickets or wrecked cause I only pay 66 a month.
Who's your insurance through. I haven't got a ticket in 10+ yrs and would never find full coverage that cheap with my current V6. I'd definitely like to save them dollars
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Personally and no offense to anyone on the form I have to agree with his statement.. People are here to learn because they don't know as much as other people. Being the reason they come to a form. If you don't want to take the time to inform him, then don't take the time to bash him.. OP I told you my opinions on cons of a GT..
+1 I have to agree with this!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #24
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDuhl6 View Post

Lol. If your going to think that far into it get a v6
I have 1 and used to have 3.. And yes I do think that far into things..

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post

I'm 19 and have a careless driving ticket because it was icy and slid into a car. That's why I said everyone's insurance is there own.. It went from 70 to 130 per month..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
While I agree I also don't. It is just like schools today. Students don't want to do the actual work to get the knowledge they just want it handed to them on a silver platter. So yes people come to a forum to gain knowledge but previous threads and posts don't get deleted just so they can be asked again. That information is kept. If it is too hard for the OP to read through a forum thread that might give him his answer because it also might not, then you are correct I have no interest helping him.

I also feel that this question he is asking is becoming so vague that it will become hard to answer. Are we just talking the 5.0 V8, push rod V8? etc onward? Are we talking high revving smaller V8s? Lower revving larger V8s? etc. onward.

Seems like this thread is going to be a mess.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

does it matter what we say. I bought the car because i always wanted one and now I can afford it. I am doing it for myself don't give a hoot what others like or don't like.

I have come to the conclusion life is short and if you want it get it and forget the rest.
Ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
does it matter what we say. I bought the car because i always wanted one and now I can afford it. I am doing it for myself don't give a hoot what others like or don't like.

I have come to the conclusion life is short and if you want it get it and forget the rest.
amen bro
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post

Yes agreed and good statement.. But I've alway wanted a mustang but I couldn't afford a V8 so I bought a V6 till I could..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
if you have to ask the pro's and con's of a v6 or 5.0 ? Than you should just get the v6.....end of story....!
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
if you have to ask the pro's and con's of a v6 or 5.0 ? Than you should just get the v6.....end of story....!
What I said haha
FORDuhl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I owned 2 v6's before finally buying a V8 (owning both over an 11 year period). Having done what you did (less 2 cars) just buy the v8. Besides cost associated. there is no noticeable con.
slonison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
GT's are definitely more expensive. But, as a wise man once said, "You gotta pay to play."
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I bought a V6 for the gas mileage and to park my 14 mpg truck unless I needed a truck. Was still looking at a V8 but wanted the newer 5.0 and just couldn't swing it right now. When I can afford the V8 I will have one. The V6 is fun, but it doesn't compare to a V8. I had one until I had to trade it for the truck because I needed a truck for my business. I guess my opinion is if you can afford the V8, including tires, gas, and insurance. Get it you won't be disappointed.
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #34
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge450 View Post
I bought a V6 for the gas mileage and to park my 14 mpg truck unless I needed a truck. Was still looking at a V8 but wanted the newer 5.0 and just couldn't swing it right now. When I can afford the V8 I will have one. The V6 is fun, but it doesn't compare to a V8. I had one until I had to trade it for the truck because I needed a truck for my business. I guess my opinion is if you can afford the V8, including tires, gas, and insurance. Get it you won't be disappointed.
+1
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
How about this. Moderators post a sticky at the top of the forum with information on how to do searches and EXPLAIN the importance of not creating multiple threads on the same topics if there are reasons why.
When I was a newbie I asked all sorts of questions that I'm sure had been asked before. But that is the fun of forums. Not just a searchable knowledge base but a way to collaborate and get ideas from fellow Mustang lovers.
It just seems lately that there are a few members that go strait to bashing questions. If you don't want to answer it then don't and move on to the next thread.
I chose ME out of all the others because it is a great forum. But the condescending and negative comments are starting to get on my fricking nerves.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion