Hard decision 4.6 or 302 5 litre - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Hard decision 4.6 or 302 5 litre

I have a toy 03 cobra but in the market for an everyday fun mustang. Should I get a 2010 or 2013 gt. if I get the 10' can I just beef it up to 400+ or should I just go for a 13. I know the 302 is prolly the best engine ford ever built but it's a 5-6k price diff.

Thanks for any and all opinions guys
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
GT fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
I have a toy 03 cobra but in the market for an everyday fun mustang. Should I get a 2010 or 2013 gt. if I get the 10' can I just beef it up to 400+ or should I just go for a 13. I know the 302 is prolly the best engine ford ever built but it's a 5-6k price diff.

Thanks for any and all opinions guys
I got a 2014 5.0 and its the best decision I've ever made
GT fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
textab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: eugene
Region: Oregon
Posts: 11
I have a '10-LOVE IT!!!
__________________
2010 Gt Premium
textab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
5.0 coyotes are amazing cars along with the boss. You can build a 5.0 to be as good or better cheaper but doesnt hold value as much as a boss. Cars with mods sadly dont gain value
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Why not get an 11? You can find those for about 20-25 used, not too bad for 100 more hp. You'll spend just as much trying to get the 10' to 360ish rwhp, stock rwhp for the 5.0
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
blackbeast12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New castle
Region: Delaware
Posts: 187
I've had a 2004 gt and a 2010 gt both great cars, but you gonna want to get the 420 hp 5.0 you wont have to mod it just drive it! Its a no brainer unless the new car is gonna strap you for cash!
__________________
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
If you "beef up" the 4.6 to the level the 5.0 can manage with a tune and a bit of mild exhaust work, you'll eventually scatter bits of it all over the road.

The 4.6 is a poser motor. Sounds good, no guts, no durability in serious modding in stock form. Glad for people that are happy with it but, it's got nothing for me. The 5.0 is all business. It's an over-achiever in every way.

Perspective: My 2012, fully loaded MT BBP 3.73 car. Slicks and Procal, Roush upper and cheap poly lowers. 12 flat so far at 114. There's an 11 in this thing as it sits. The 4.6 would get anywhere near that w/o a blower kit.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 55
used 5.0
__________________
2012 5.0,6mt brembo, beefcake special paxton kit, lund tune, offroad x-pipe jpc ovex axle pipes, gt500 ab, jlt intake, d-spec, k-springs, strano adj sway bars, f14 forgestar.
bam2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Thanks for all the input guys. Yes I know 5.0 is all business I have an 83 Capri rs black cat. It came with a 302 but we bored it out to 307, that engine is beast best engine I've ever had under the hood so with what all y'all have said I think I should stick with the 5.0. And ps don't knock the 4.6 my cobra is beyond fun lol
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Evil2014GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
I have a toy 03 cobra but in the market for an everyday fun mustang. Should I get a 2010 or 2013 gt. if I get the 10' can I just beef it up to 400+ or should I just go for a 13. I know the 302 is prolly the best engine ford ever built but it's a 5-6k price diff.

Thanks for any and all opinions guys
My vote goes to the 5.0. Why spend $4-5k on a 4.6, just to make it a bit faster then the 5.0, and a lot less reliable. Get the 2013, start with 420hp AND a warranty.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
If you "beef up" the 4.6 to the level the 5.0 can manage with a tune and a bit of mild exhaust work, you'll eventually scatter bits of it all over the road.

The 4.6 is a poser motor. Sounds good, no guts, no durability in serious modding in stock form. Glad for people that are happy with it but, it's got nothing for me. The 5.0 is all business. It's an over-achiever in every way.

Perspective: My 2012, fully loaded MT BBP 3.73 car. Slicks and Procal, Roush upper and cheap poly lowers. 12 flat so far at 114. There's an 11 in this thing as it sits. The 4.6 would get anywhere near that w/o a blower kit.
I agree with most of this, but I will say that the 4.6 has a much stronger block than the 5.0. The weak point in the 4.6 is the rods. Either way you will spend quite a bit more to get the 4.6 to the level of the 5.0
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I agree with most of this, but I will say that the 4.6 has a much stronger block than the 5.0. The weak point in the 4.6 is the rods. Either way you will spend quite a bit more to get the 4.6 to the level of the 5.0
How is the 4.6 stronger than the 5.0?i thought it was te other way around
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
FortyBrandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,057
I know people that bought their boss 302 new in 69 and 70 and said that's the set investment they ever made. I you do get one I would not plan on ever selling it as for the legendary and price value thy will keep. And not to down the gts by I'm sure in the next 30 years you'll find more gts than you will boss's
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
I know people that bought their boss 302 new in 69 and 70 and said that's the set investment they ever made. I you do get one I would not plan on ever selling it as for the legendary and price value thy will keep. And not to down the gts by I'm sure in the next 30 years you'll find more gts than you will boss's
Ha if I could afford a boss we wouldn't be having this convo I'd get it no doubt
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. Yes I know 5.0 is all business I have an 83 Capri rs black cat. It came with a 302 but we bored it out to 307, that engine is beast best engine I've ever had under the hood so with what all y'all have said I think I should stick with the 5.0. And ps don't knock the 4.6 my cobra is beyond fun lol
I tried to stay with the thread and got a bit confused here. Are you comparing and 1983 Capri 5.0 with a 2013 5.0? Ummm..??..
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
No I was just sharing a foundness if the 5.0

The problem is that a new 5.0 is more than the 10' 4.6 obviously but it's just a thread on what people prefer.
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
No I was just sharing a foundness if the 5.0

The problem is that a new 5.0 is more than the 10' 4.6 obviously but it's just a thread on what people prefer.
I must be tired today. . Love the push rod 5.0s. As my screen name reveals. My first was a 95 5.0! Met my wife when I had that one. It's the black w/ silver stripes in my profile pics. Ahhh, fond memories.
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Very nice I need to get my pics up but my first car is no longer in existence a 2001 gt automatic I thought it was badass but a minivan didn't when she plowed into me.
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Bad thing about driving is other drivers stupidity
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Bad thing about driving is other drivers stupidity
+1
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Bad thing about driving is other drivers stupidity
Ya, you can't fix stupid.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
What's a 307?
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
I mean I've seen a stroked 306 but I have never heard of a 307
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty View Post
I mean I've seen a stroked 306 but I have never heard of a 307
Usually you hear of a 307 as a bored out Chevy motor. I assume you could bore a 302 out to 307 with a .50 but that seems odd. I've had my 302 bored out to 306 (.40) over just as a budget rebuild. The most you can go with a 302 block is .60 over or a 308. I am sure there are plenty more people in the prior year forums that know much more about this than me.
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
2010GBGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Little Falls
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 93
After much debate between a 4.6 and 5.0, I bought a 2010 GT in Dec 2012 due to price. March 2013 someone rearended me so I started debating again if I should get another 4.6 or look for a deal on a 2011+ GT. Found a great deal on a 2011 GT and so happy I did. There's a big difference between them. Love the power of the 5.0, its very noticeable, and prefer the 6spd over the 5spd. Always second guessed my decision in the 2010 GT...after owning the 5.0 I know what I should have bought in the first place. Plus, every one would see the GT badge and say "not a 5.0, right?" Got annoying after a while. Just my experience with the two.
2010GBGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Utah
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
I have a toy 03 cobra but in the market for an everyday fun mustang. Should I get a 2010 or 2013 gt. if I get the 10' can I just beef it up to 400+ or should I just go for a 13. I know the 302 is prolly the best engine ford ever built but it's a 5-6k price diff.

Thanks for any and all opinions guys
This is a great question I have been asking myself for about a year now. I have a 10 gt, bearly has 5000 miles on it, it is a great car but I would like more hp. I have went back and fourth with supercharging the 4.6 or just selling it/trading it for a new 14 gt. Now my local ford dearlership just became a Roush dealer and have about 25 Roush's on the ground from the stage 1 up to the stage 3 and even one with the aluminator engine! Not sure yet what my 10;s worth but I am seriously thinking about a stage 1. But back to your question, unless the 10 is a killer deal I would deffinatly get the 5.0. I wish I would have.
merv43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post

Usually you hear of a 307 as a bored out Chevy motor. I assume you could bore a 302 out to 307 with a .50 but that seems odd. I've had my 302 bored out to 306 (.40) over just as a budget rebuild. The most you can go with a 302 block is .60 over or a 308. I am sure there are plenty more people in the prior year forums that know much more about this than me.
Yea my uncle and I worked on it. Sadly it hasn't been driven in 5+ years. But I hope to get it up and running this summer.
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred2010gt View Post

How is the 4.6 stronger than the 5.0?i thought it was te other way around
The 5.0 motor creates more power than the 4.6, but the 4.6 block itself can hold more hp. The 5.0 engine block will crack around 725ish whp, and the 4.6 block will hold up to about 800 whp, that's all I'm saying
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
jaredGTneelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 182
Here's the plain simple way to decide , the big difference bewteen buying a 10 4.6 or a 11-14 5.0 is the variable cam timing that's the reason the 5.0 beats all the cars now a days it's the reason I love my mustang so much, because when you stomp the pedal in these it widens the timing the valves are opening , so it makes a 5 liter seem like it's a 6.0 or bigger , that's why it beats the 6.0 ,6.2 and a 6.4
jaredGTneelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredGTneelley View Post
Here's the plain simple way to decide , the big difference bewteen buying a 10 4.6 or a 11-14 5.0 is the variable cam timing that's the reason the 5.0 beats all the cars now a days it's the reason I love my mustang so much, because when you stomp the pedal in these it widens the timing the valves are opening , so it makes a 5 liter seem like it's a 6.0 or bigger , that's why it beats the 6.0 ,6.2 and a 6.4
Sounds like my decision is made do anyone wanna contribute to the 5.0 fund?
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Martinsville
Region: Virginia
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
Sounds like my decision is made do anyone wanna contribute to the 5.0 fund?


cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Ok guys I think I've made my decision gonna go look at a 2011 gt California special thus weekend wish me luck.
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
The 5.0 motor creates more power than the 4.6, but the 4.6 block itself can hold more hp. The 5.0 engine block will crack around 725ish whp, and the 4.6 block will hold up to about 800 whp, that's all I'm saying
Ah I see your point.idk alot alot bout the motors but know enough haha.i love my 10gt n if there's a way to make it stronger without breaking something.finding a premium 11-12 gt there still around 25.either way I'm still on the look out for one
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred2010gt View Post

Ah I see your point.idk alot alot bout the motors but know enough haha.i love my 10gt n if there's a way to make it stronger without breaking something.finding a premium 11-12 gt there still around 25.either way I'm still on the look out for one
What I did, couldn't see spending 7k on a blower just to reach 5.0 level.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Get a 5.0 you will have 370 hp and be a newer car. Yes you can get a blower on a 4.6 and beat a 5.0 but you would need more than just a blower
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:05 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.