Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Information About SCT Devices

82K views 72 replies 34 participants last post by  somesay 
#1 · (Edited)
I’d like to clear up some confusion about SCT devices, how they operate, what to look for when purchasing a used device, and how to update them. I’m hoping this information will assist people when trying to troubleshoot their device and speed up the process when they have any issues. Admins, please feel free to move this to a different section of the forum if needed.

SCT Device Updater
This program is needed to do everything with the device. From updating, backing up stock files, to repairing the device. You can download this software for free at the link below:
http://www.sctflash.com/software/SCTDeviceUpdater.exe

Updating the device
If the serial number of the device begins with XP, LT, or IT, these are ENHANCED devices. This means that you should only update these devices by using the “Automatically Check for Updates” button. DO NOT use the “Transfer File To Device” or “Update Firmware” buttons! These are for non-enhanced devices that I will cover next. If you do this without direct instruction from SCT, you run a very good chance of messing up your device.

If the serial number of your device begins with TM, TD, LW, X3, or any single letter, these are NON-ENHANCED devices. These devices you need to manually update using the “Transfer File to Device” and “Update Firmware” buttons described earlier. If you need step by step instructions please refer to the SCT website for them in the knowledgebase section. All of these devices have also been discontinued, but are still supported.

Backing Up Your Stock File
This is extremely easy to do and is very beneficial to SCT tech support if a repair is ever needed for your device. By simply backing up your stock file, you can save hours off a support call as well as possibly hundreds of dollars for a PCM reflash by your dealer. You can simply back it up using the Device Update Software and click “Get Stock File from Device”.

Strategy/Preloaded Tunes VS Custom Tunes
There has been some confusion as to what the difference between these two are.

Strategy/Preloaded tunes are the ones that come built into the devices from SCT. These are made for specific vehicle models and are for stock or close to stock vehicles. Not all devices come with these tunes. If you are unsure, please contact SCT tech support or your dealer before purchasing your device.
Custom Tunes
are tunes that were made by your dealer for your exact PCM. These are not included in devices from SCT. Please ask your dealer if custom tunes are included or if you need to purchase them separately.

Can I re-use custom tunes?
Technically, yes you can, BUT we STRONGLY do not recommend it. Even if you have the same year/make/model. You may have an identical car, but completely different PCMs inside of it. If you flash with someone else's custom tunes, you run a very high chance of disabling your vehicle completely. It's simply not worth the risk. And this usually happens 3 hours away from home, in a blizzard, on the weekend, with the kids in the backseat.

Purchasing a Used Device
Whenever you need to purchase a used device, always make sure the device is UNLOCKED or UNMARRIED. I have people calling in all the time that spend money on used devices that are locked and have to pay for an unlock. If you need to unlock your device, or a used device, it is $150. The fee for this is standard with no special treatment. The ONLY time SCT will ever unlock a device for free, is if the vehicle it’s locked to was totaled out. We require proof of the total loss. An insurance claim or carfax report document is accepted. Pictures of the vehicle will not be accepted. The turnaround time is usually 1-2 weeks. You can verify if a device is locked or not by going into Device Info on the tuner and viewing the number of unlocks and the married status. If the device says MARRIED, STRATEGY, or LOCKED, It’s locked. If it says UNMARRIED, or UNLOCKED, it is unlocked and safe for use on another vehicle. If you are ever unsure about this, please contact SCT and have the Device Info with you.

Calling SCT for Assistance
If you ever need to call SCT for help you can contact us at 1-866-637-1672
Having the following information already written down and saved will GREATLY increase our response time in assisting you:
Everything listed in Device Info and Vehicle Info as well as your backed up Stock File. When it comes to complicated issues such as unsupported errors or your vehicle isn’t starting, this information is required. Already having this ready will greatly speed up the time it can take us to help you. I’ve talked to many customers where the vehicle was disabled and they weren’t nearby it, just to find out we needed them to go all the way back to the vehicle to get the information listed below.

Here is an example of the information we need:

Vehicle Info:
Vin Number
Comm Type
Strategy Code

Device Info:
Firm Ware
Tune Version
Unlocks Left
Married Status
Strategy Code (if applicable)

Updating Your Device
We always recommend updating the device. SCT will never disable an existing feature on a device you already own. I know a lot of people are worried about this with their devices. We are constantly releasing fixes and updates for vehicles and devices, and always recommend updating them. We recently released an update back in May that allowed most devices to have slots for 10 custom tunes. Much better than the 3 slots before that.

Getting Your Vehicle Serviced By the Dealer
Whenever you take your vehicle to the dealer, ALWAYS return to stock before taking it in for service. If the dealer has to flash the PCM for any reason, and your vehicle is tuned, they will wipe out your tuned file and lock the tuner out from the PCM. This is a big problem for a lot of people, especially those with DPF deletes and heavily modified vehicles. If this occurs, the ONLY way to get the tuner unlocked is to send it into SCT and its $75 for us to unlock it. This can cause you to be stuck on a stock tune for up to 3 weeks! So make sure you return to stock!!!

I’ll be updating this periodically, when I think of new information. I hope this clears up some confusion regarding our devices. We do our best to try and fix issues as quickly as possible.

-Jon

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Awesome thread Jon. Thanks for taking your time and putting all of that together. It should be a sticky for sure.

Again..... Great Job!

#11 ·
I have a question...why do we need aftermarket tunes? If Ford engineers want to produce/market a fast car, why not just put a more aggressive tune at stock? If the engineers didn't do it originally, does that mean there is some component of our car we are over stressing when we add a more aggressive tune? Thx!

#17 ·
You will pass in VA with a tune. Even if the o2s are turned off. As long as you are not throwing a CEL, and can pass visual, you are fine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#19 ·
Correct. The device is married to the car, not the owner, so yes it will work fine. The only thing with that is, if you have a "tunes for life" program with steeda or bama, I dont believe that will apply to a new owner. They will probably have to pay again if they want more tunes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#23 ·
Yeah I havent plugged the tuner into the computer yet to see if it registers and all that but I have a virtual PC program that I run and was able to install the program and run it that way. Just have to test the connect ability of the tuner yet. Ill post to update whether it works or not once I try it out.

#25 ·
Great write up, thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#28 ·
I recently had headers installed on my 07 gt. I asked for a new tune from bama and they made me one. When I go to put the tune from the computer to the tuner it says the serial numbers don't match. I have received several new tunes in the past without having this problem. Can someone help me out here?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#29 ·
You may have gotten the wrong tune. It happened to me once. The tune details pdf that came in the email was for a completely different person. A quick phone call and they sent the correct tune file, no problem. Just get a hold of one of the Bama guys and they should be able to take care of you.

Sent from the Death Star.

#31 ·
Subbing to this. Just bought a used unmarried X3. 5 unlocks left.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.