new mustang owner, tough decision - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Region: Kentucky
new mustang owner, tough decision

I know this has been asked a ton of times, but I just have to be sure. I will soon break my mustang cherry and am having trouble deciding between the V6 and GT. I am leaning towards the GT just because I like its features more and figure if I am getting a mustang I might as well do it right. I dont plan on doing any street racing but I do plan on having some fun with the car. Will the V6 be enough or will I regret not putting up a little more money for a lot more power?

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Also., i am new to the forums so I hope I am posting in the right area.
nikstykal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you can afford it get the GT
Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
5.0 all the way if you can, the mpg is very good and its just an amazing hotrod when you want that too!!
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just remember its never fast enough you will always outgrow what you have and want more. If you can afford the little bit of extra insurance and payment get the 5.0 you won't be disappointed. Mild when you want it to be a luxury car and wild when you want to stand on it. Gas isn't to much of a difference really I average about 19.5.... However, we may be a little biased lol.
Twisted 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #5

Wow, quick responses, but definitely what I wanted to hear. I'm going this Saturday to put in my final order and I just needed that reassurance that GT was worth it. 4-6 weeks and I will be an official mustang owner!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
GT at a minimum. I wish I would have ordered a Boss 302. Next time it'll be a Shelby.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Where's the face slap button il be nice since your new use the search feature there's plenty of debates on which to buy
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

*slaps own face* i hope we are cool now. I am actually working right now and couldn't concentrate because I just can't stop thinking about my first mustang (and nice car for that matter), had to post somewhere
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Where's the face slap button il be nice since your new use the search feature there's plenty of debates on which to buy
Says the guy who less than a month ago was posting in here asking for plastidip ideas. Nice...
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Moved to general mustang discussion

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
V8! So you won't have to hear... "you wouldn't have that problem with a V8!".
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
V8! So you won't have to hear... "you wouldn't have that problem with a V8!".
I definitely dont want to hear that! Now I am looking up information on the 2015 mustang and wondering if I should wait to buy... This is my first new car and I want to make the right choice!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Patience just wait and see if you like the 2015 and if not just go buy a 2014
Old 06-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Honestly, I see no point to the V6 Mustang. It's for old people and girls. A few months, maybe even a years worth of saving/planning to get a GT. Go ahead, give me hell, but I would NEVER buy a V6 Mustang. Sorry
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
Honestly, I see no point to the V6 Mustang. It's for old people and girls. A few months, maybe even a years worth of saving/planning to get a GT. Go ahead, give me hell, but I would NEVER buy a V6 Mustang. Sorry
Everybody's entitled to their opinion. I've owned both a V6 and a V8 and love them both, but I feel the comment about V6s being for old people and girls was unneeded. Not only does it mock V6 owners, but It also mocks older people and girls/women. I've seen female 5.0 owners who can driver better than most men.

To the OP: do your research and when you find one you like and can afford it, then go for it. In the end, its your choice. Just remember to factor in the cost of all the stuff you'll be buying for it haha.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post

Everybody's entitled to their opinion. I've owned both a V6 and a V8 and love them both, but I feel the comment about V6s being for old people and girls was unneeded. Not only does it mock V6 owners, but It also mocks older people and girls/women. I've seen female 5.0 owners who can driver better than most men.
No offense intended, but when you see Mustang, you think fast, V8. I can only imagine Ford making the V6 for the market I mentioned. Watched some girl (really cute too) getting a new v6 Mustang for her college graduation. She couldn't have cared V8 or V6, long as it was a Pony. Me being filled with piss, testosterone and vinegar, it's V8 or might as well just a Ford Focus.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

I'm kidding guys, just breaking balls.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #17

Region: Virginia
Get the GT. Definitely a difference between the two. I looked at both when contemplating my purchase. GT is a bit more on cost but well worth it.
DSD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
V8 all the way..... your choice is definitely a good one.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #19

Yeah I just went and test drove both yesterday, the V6 and the V8. The V8 was a convertible which really wasn't what i wanted but I'm hooked on getting the GT regardless. After talking to a few guys at work (i actually work for Ford) I decided to go to the Detroit auto show to get a first hand look at the 2015, so it looks like my new car purchase is going to be delayed until then. The idea of waiting to own one is absolutely killing me though!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstykal View Post
Yeah I just went and test drove both yesterday, the V6 and the V8. The V8 was a convertible which really wasn't what i wanted but I'm hooked on getting the GT regardless. After talking to a few guys at work (i actually work for Ford) I decided to go to the Detroit auto show to get a first hand look at the 2015, so it looks like my new car purchase is going to be delayed until then. The idea of waiting to own one is absolutely killing me though!
I say get the GT if you can afford it, nothing against V6's if truly know anything about cars your can turn anything into a beast plus its your money your investment. I chose a V8 because that's what I wanted and had my heart set on. Good luck with your decision, you're already at a good start for choosing "Black" ....
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstykal View Post
I know this has been asked a ton of times, but I just have to be sure. I will soon break my mustang cherry and am having trouble deciding between the V6 and GT. I am leaning towards the GT just because I like its features more and figure if I am getting a mustang I might as well do it right. I dont plan on doing any street racing but I do plan on having some fun with the car. Will the V6 be enough or will I regret not putting up a little more money for a lot more power?

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Also., i am new to the forums so I hope I am posting in the right area.
This really depends on what you want out of your ride and how much your willing to spend for it. Not every person cares about having a 420 HP vehicle. Not everybody cares about an engine that can handle 650 plus HP without forged intervals. Not everybody is willing to spend 7,500 dollars more for a car that looks the same other than the two fog lights.

Not everybody cares about the added handling performance because they don't track race. They set the cruise control and drive in a straight direction to Target and Wal Mart. The v6 models can also turn right and left at traffic lights just like the V8 model can.

4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder, fast is fast no matter what size the engine is. The mentality that only v8 models are for real men and testosterone went out with woman staying home, cook, clean, pregnant and barefoot. It just shows there lack of education about the current engines and power they make.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Then don't buy a v6 model. That's why Ford makes more than one model of mustang. To attract the various consumers who like a mustang. I know its really hard for some people on this site to understand but not everybody wants a car that can go 1/4 mile in 11 or 12 seconds. To some people, that's just not important. 305 HP is plenty for some. 14 second 1/4 mile times is more than enough for many. Not everything is supercharge this and dyno that and show me your slips.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Then don't buy a v6 model. That's why Ford makes more than one model of mustang. To attract the various consumers who like a mustang. I know its really hard for some people on this site to understand but not everybody wants a car that can go 1/4 mile in 11 or 12 seconds. To some people, that's just not important. 305 HP is plenty for some. 14 second 1/4 mile times is more than enough for many. Not everything is supercharge this and dyno that and show me your slips.
Well said.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post

Says the guy who less than a month ago was posting in here asking for plastidip ideas. Nice...
Lol
EricJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Well said.
Well thank you kind sir and for my next trick. I would like a 12 second mustang in the 1/4 mile, I'm just to cheap to pay for it. Lmao.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT
That comment was unnecessary. I'm 24, male and in college and got the new V6 cause it was what I could afford, and was a great deal. Paid 21,500$ for a brand new car with 300+ HP and 30+ MPG. I think I did good.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Guess ya'll missed my sarcasm and follow up post saying I was kidding.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

That comment was unnecessary. I'm 24, male and in college and got the new V6 cause it was what I could afford, and was a great deal. Paid 21,500$ for a brand new car with 300+ HP and 30+ MPG. I think I did good.
Bro, that's a sick price . Great deal. I paid 22,500 for my 11 v6. COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Guess ya'll missed my sarcasm and follow up post saying I was kidding.
I'm not offended bro. All good. I was just saying to the OP it just depends on what they were looking out of there mustang. Everybody has different wants. It sounded as if the OP really didnt know the power that the v6 engine is producing and that may be enough to grab him by the ole balls and say Hello. Lmao
Old 06-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I got the v6 because that's all I could afford. I do get envious when I see GT's, but it's all made up for by how many compliments and stares I get every single day. Plus with a just a CAI and 3.73, you have a quick car that can beat just about anything in its class, and even some above. I really wish I coulda got a GT, but having the 6 has been a hell of a time thus far, and it's only got 1000 miles
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
I got the v6 because that's all I could afford. I do get envious when I see GT's, but it's all made up for by how many compliments and stares I get every single day. Plus with a just a CAI and 3.73, you have a quick car that can beat just about anything in its class, and even some above. I really wish I coulda got a GT, but having the 6 has been a hell of a time thus far, and it's only got 1000 miles
Bro, the v8 model is one sick fast car. If you compare the price and power you get compared to say a base model corvette, the 5.0 is the bang for your buck. There ain't too many 420 HP cars out there for under 30k. The 5.0 is a beast and certainly can take a good bit of mods on the engine without having to go forged intervals and still get 600 to 650 HP. I really loved the v8 model however I personally didn't love it enough to spend the 7500k more than the v6 model. I purchased my 11 v6 back in October 2010 and was looking at the 10 Gt's. I wanted the power of a 10 Gt but was only willing to spend the v6 price tag. There was no way I was buying a 10 V6 model because it didn't give me the performance I was looking for. The 11 v6 gave me exactly what I was looking for. A model that was nearly as fast as the 10 Gt but all for 22,500. The 10 GT models that were left on dealers lots were 10k plus and was no where near the 11 v6 price. All the base 10 Gt models were gone that late in the season and even a base Gt was 7k more than my 11 v6 was. It was a no brainer. Granted the 10 Gt could handle more engine build up for power but I have no intention to make it a 500 or 600 HP vehicle so it didn't matter too me. I drive my mustang too and from Walmart, Applebee's and maybe Ocean City, NJ or Maryland for the day.

I did want a bit more power in my v6 so I spent around 3500 in bolt on mods and can run 0-60 between 4.6 to 4.8 seconds which I'm real happy about. To the OP, you will always want faster. You always want more HP, you always want better 1/4 mile and 0-60 mph times. It's like chasing the end of the rainbow. Set a goal, pick what you want from your mustang and leave it at that.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I wanted a GT, but being 16, the insurance would have killed me lol. My next car will be a GT. Anyways, ya get the GT if you can.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130708_233526.png
Views:	116
Size:	713.7 KB
ID:	117369
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
As a V6 owner, all I can say is you've already made the right choice with going Mustang. Whatever you get after that is just the dressing on top. V6'ers can nail 90% of cars on the road too guys!
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion